[WIP] [Parts] Horizontal Space Bases for colonization! Download! New Concept Stuffs!!

Night Lone

First off, there is only one good space base mod out there. Unfortunately it has a certain style of gameplay, also a certain look. Many of you probably like both the gameplay style, and look. But, this mod is to help create:

Variety!!

Here are the Pictures!!

The pics are the current teasers :D

Download is at the Release thread!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

They are intended to be used as permanent residence and workplace for your kerbalnoughts! Though, they can be for temporary living, or even oddly large kerbal killing machines. Once you download it, it's up to you to decide what fate these pieces have, and the kerbals whom reside in them :)

The only part I'm planning for IVA's is the Wardroom, but that may be questionable.

All parts can be used in space or on land. They are meant to be landed horizontal.

2.5 Meter parts, so if you wish to have a + shape (using the 6 way hub), that should be really easy!

Version 0.02 will be up as soon as I get fix a few little buggy errors;

1) Crew Quarters: 2 Kerbal sleeping area. No IVA Planned.

2) Exercise Area: 2 Kerbals can exercise in here if KeepFit is installed. No IVA Planned.

3) Wardroom: 6 Kerbals can eat here. Might use LF mods if installed (Snacks and TACLS probably). IVA Planned (don't hold your breath).

4, 5) End Cap: 0 Kerbals. Purely storage of Monopropellant, and Electricity. KAS storage if KAS is installed. RCS version available.

6) LFO Engine + Tank: In one part, will be facing "down"

7) RCS w/ Tank: In one part, will be facing...everywhere!

8) Cargo Bay: 2.5 Cargo bay :) can hold stuffs.

Wishlist (ie, random ideas, but may or may not happen)

Now in order of priority!

1. Logistic Module
  2. Integrated landing legs. - Idea has changed a little...
  3. Control Module - Idea from adsii1970! Thanks!!*
  4. An airlock end-cap.
  5. My own 6 way hub.
  6. Docking port with RCS thrusters
  7. 90° Piece - Thanks KyleKidd!

And other Ideas:

3.75 Parts inspired by this very mod.

Small Rovers Parts

Emergency Pod (to eject from stations in case of...stuff...)

Small Satellite Stuffs

And a special surprise piece(s) that...well...is a big surprise :) Will be working on that piece while I'm working on the above pieces.

*Thanks to AlphaAsh we do have a piece for this. But it needs touching up.

V0.11 KeepFit Update

Includes MM config for KeepFit

V0.10 KAS+Snacks update.

Includes MM config for KAS and Snacks.

Contains RCS Endcap, FLO engine + tank; and RCS thruster + tank.

V0.01- Initial release.

Contains Crew Quarters, Exercise Room, Wardroom, and one Endcap.

Would love more ideas!!

Licence: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

And It's in the download as well;

Edited by Night Lone
Updating Download ...LOTS of things

yup! I have a door with the top labeled "This Side up" and, assuming you're landing it properly, you'd land it with the top at the top, and the bottom, well at the bottom! It would technically be built as a VTOL. Or you could land it with a skycrane. I have another option/idea for those who don't like those two. But either way, build it balanced, and it'll probably be okay. Build it wacky, and you'll have a wacky time landing it!

On atmospheric planets though, just attach parachutes and let them do all the work!!

Out of curiosity, what is the one good space base mod you are thinking about? OKS is the first I can think of, but there are a few others like FusTek Station Parts that looks interesting, as well as some more special cases like the ginormous Stanford Torus mod. Of course, it's a bit tricky defining a space base mod to begin with, but I'd have hard time picking just one.

That being said, I love my space stations, so I'm looking forward to see what you come up with :)

Edited by Yski

I love space stations too, but what about creating a real "control module/station operations module" that would seat three or four Kerbals? In my mind's eye, it would have a large windowed front and could also be used as a space traffic control center where vehicles docking with the station could be "monitored" (much like an air traffic control tower). I would definitely put it to use.

Out of curiosity, what is the one good space base mod you are thinking about? ...

For bases, yeah, MKS is the only one I can think of; I probably should mention colonization up in the topic/OP! Thanks :)

It can be used as a space station as well of course, I'm designing the parts to do duel; Less parts, less time loading, dual functions; K+++ in my book!

I love space stations too, but what about creating a real "control module/station operations module" that would seat three or four Kerbals? ...

You sir, have a great Idea! With your permission and good-luck-wishes, I will place it in my wishlist!

Note as well:

These parts will (hopefully) be stock-a-like, or at least good enough not to clash with stock. I am making my own palette , but hopefully the colours are close enough to stock that it won't hurt anyone eyes :)

Also, anyone know how to reference a texture file in a different folder? I don't know how and, well, having 5 copies of the same texture, with 5 different models is a bit bad on the memory ;)

You sir, have a great Idea! With your permission and good-luck-wishes, I will place it in my wishlist!

By all means, you have my permission! There are some other ideas I have, but as of yet, I do not have the know-how to do my own mods ;.;

Some things I would like to see are some sort of bio-domes for space stations - nothing big or fancy, but maybe a small version of Rama, but with one side of the module made to look like a transparent dome or covering with lush greenery inside... (Of course, Rama is referring to the Arthur C. Clarke's series titled Rama, if you are as big of a sci-fi nerd as I am :) )

Edited by adsii1970

By all means, you have my permission! ...

Some things I would like to see are some sort of bio-domes for space stations - nothing big or fancy, but maybe a small version of Rama, ...

Thanks!

And how big do you want your oversized greenhouse? ;) (I just looked up what Rama is, the space ship; looks pretty much like a O'Neill Cylinder, or rather, is one.) It could be easily done, but I'd want to make that a separate mod with a rather large hollow area that you can use Reaction Control units to spin :P

But, that is for an other time. This mod is going to stick with 2.5m parts (I doubt I'd make any bigger for this mod). But I love your ideas, I could see if a garden would be good, or rather, a greenhouse. Then play around with some advanced settings and make it TAC compatible, maybe Snacks! compatible as well...

Thanks!

And how big do you want your oversized greenhouse? ;) (I just looked up what Rama is, the space ship; looks pretty much like a O'Neill Cylinder, or rather, is one.) It could be easily done, but I'd want to make that a separate mod with a rather large hollow area that you can use Reaction Control units to spin :P

This mod is going to stick with 2.5m parts... But I love your ideas, I could see if a garden would be good, or rather, a greenhouse. Then play around with some advanced settings and make it TAC compatible, maybe Snacks! compatible as well...

I would not want anything larger than 2.5m parts (for one, I am not sure that my system could handle it). Maybe no more than the length of the exercise area you have proposed. I love the idea of it being TAC/Snacks! compatible! I love the idea of having a variety of station parts so that various stations could become function specific - the concept of a station being able to produce snacks or maybe even fuel in space so that ships can use it as a waypoint really appeals to me. Right now I have one station that can house up to 24 Kerbals, but all they have is a science lab and some observation windows and docking ports. :confused:There is only so much boredom that a Kerbal can handle before they go nuts!

I've just recently begun to post photos of what I do... but here is a part of my space station launched into orbit; it has two crew modules and an orbital science lab... I'll post photos of the completed station later.

2014-10-30_00019_zps916807ac.jpg

I would not want anything larger than 2.5m parts (for one, I am not sure that my system could handle it)

Most of the time part count matters more than part size, so if you have fewer parts that are larger your performance might even improve a little.

Also, anyone know how to reference a texture file in a different folder? I don't know how and, well, having 5 copies of the same texture, with 5 different models is a bit bad on the memory ;)

I believe you include it in a MODEL bit. Look at Lacks SXT for comparison - this is part of the config for an air intake from it:

MODEL
{
model = SXT/Parts/Aero/airIntake/model
texture = model000 , Squad/Parts/Utility/CircularIntake/model000
texture = model002_NRM , Squad/Parts/Utility/CircularIntake/model001
texture = model001 , Squad/Parts/Utility/airIntakeRadialXM-G50/model000
texture = model003 , SXT/OldAssets/FuelTank/MK1FuselageStructural/model000
}

scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

Also, good luck with the project! I've been wanting horizontally based crew quarters for ages.

I believe you include it in a MODEL bit. Look at Lacks SXT for comparison - this is part of the config for an air intake from it:

Also, good luck with the project! I've been wanting horizontally based crew quarters for ages.

Thanks! I always wanted these parts as well, so, if no one is going to make them, then I will!!

also, thanks for the code :) when I put these up you guys won't have a few textures that are duplicates floating around :P

Also, a little update:

Airlock piece will be no more!

Reason: I realized that for a piece to easily contain crew, you need a hatch to access the crew. So, every part will have a hatch. Because of this, a 1 kerbal airlock won't be needed.

Quick Update!

Working on the RCS thrusters, which are becoming a pain...

this is what I have so far (no textures)

5LDiuXd.png

I'm thinking about making the actual thruster blocks smaller, that or delete the blocks and put the nozzles in the tank. What do ya all think?

I like it! Is this part going to contain monoprop? It would seem sensible to. I would put the nozzles in the actual tank, inset in little cubby holes. If you put them on the outside, you'll end up with them sticking out and no clean line down the edge of the stack, just a flat protrusion of the blocks.. know what I mean?

I like it! Is this part going to contain monoprop? It would seem sensible to. I would put the nozzles in the actual tank, inset in little cubby holes. If you put them on the outside, you'll end up with them sticking out and no clean line down the edge of the stack, just a flat protrusion of the blocks.. know what I mean?

Yeah, I know what ya mean; and yes, this part will contain monoprop as well; come on! that big thing, with no propellent?! That would be mean! (and funny) :P

I also have the endcap version with some RCS thruster's done, but since I didn't need an opinion on it, it'll be a surprise for you guys ;)

I have an empty folder when I try to download. Is it safe to delete folder "_MACOSX"?

Yes it's safe, my mac likes to be sneaky and place things where they shouldn't be, sorry about that.

Can anyone else confirm that the download is just an empty folder? I downloaded it myself and everything is where it should be...

EDIT:

Downloaded it on my windows machine; apparently the program to erase all my ugly stuff didn't!! going to upload a new one soon!

Edited by Night Lone

Yes, the _MACOSX directory and score of DS_Store files are just OSX being stupid and littering everything with its own metadata in gibberish. You can delete them with extreme prejudice without worry.
Yes it's safe, my mac likes to be sneaky and place things where they shouldn't be, sorry about that. ...
It's safe to delete those, yep.

3 people, telling one guy, the exact same thing :P also AlphaAsh planning on trying out this mod? :P

3 people, telling one guy, the exact same thing :P also AlphaAsh planning on trying out this mod? :P

Definitely. I am extremely selective about my parts mods and have a tendency to make any parts I need as I play. I've not found a station or base set that I've ever really stuck with.

Which reminds me, if you're up for some collaboration, I have something you might like. brb.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.