Accidently Orbiting The Sun At Almost 11,000M/s

So basically I made a big ship to orbit kerbin/kerban (sorry Im new to the game dont really know how to spell it). It didnt end up like that. First mistake i made, I started my 90 degree turn early. then just a series of events went bad. I ended up with a big orbit that would meet up with the mun. I thought that was cool, passes the mun. then was on a different track, one i actually liked better, it was quite bigger, but i was still orbiting kerban/kerbin. So, after that it ended up i was going to go by the mun again, so when i entered the mun's orbit, i decided to try to stay in the mun's orbit. So, i boosted my rocket in a random direction for about 3 seconds, then went to the map, all of a sudden i was orbiting the sun at almost 11,000M/s. Any suggestions on what to do? Im pretty much BRAND NEW to Kerbal Space Program. I can barely manage to orbit. obviously. Jeb, Bill, And Bob are stuck. i have a decent amount of gas. I dont think its enough to bring me home but im not sure, I have 700/1440. in my tank. I sort of like the idea of being in a big orbit, for the fact that this ship was meant to orbit anyway. which for me basically means i stuck a bunch of big solar panels on the sides.

So if you have any questions/Suggestions please reply, ill try to reply to you within around 5 hours. unless im sleeping. Thanks everyone!!

Edited by Rayge

The sudden change of speed is because you exited Kerbin's sphere of influence and had Kerbin's speed around the sun (~9300m/s) added to your ship's speed, when you reenter Kerbin's sphere most of that will disappear.

Without seeing a pic of map view or knowing anything about the orbit you are in, I recommend pointing in the direction opposite from the one you burned to exit and burning again. Try doing the burn in map view so you can see if you are getting an encounter with Kerbin.

Basically, point towards Kerbin and burn a little. You should get an encounter pretty quickly, using very little fuel.

Once you enter back into Kerbin's SoI, place a maneuvre node at your Kerbin periapsis, and drag out the retrograde arm of the node until it predicts an orbit around the planet (will probably be quite eccentric - ie oval shaped - but that's fine).

When you've done that burn, and are in orbit around the planet, place a new node at your orbit's apoapsis. Drag out the retrograde arm again, until your periapsis goes within Kerbin's atmosphere (aim for around 30km altitude at periapsis).

Perform that node, then prepare your kerbals for an exciting reentry!

Could you please post some pics? or give me a download link to your save file (find it under game directory\saves\your save here\persistent.sfs) so i can check it out?

if you are in solar orbit, congrats. saving your crew needs highly advanced skills (orbital rendezvous and tons of fine-tuning), and may use up most of your fuel.

Could you please post some pics? or give me a download link to your save file (find it under game directory\saves\your save here\persistent.sfs) so i can check it out?

if you are in solar orbit, congrats. saving your crew needs highly advanced skills (orbital rendezvous and tons of fine-tuning), and may use up most of your fuel.

It's a craft on an escape trajectory or a craft that has recently escaped from Kerbin's SoI. Why would pictures be necessary?

Anyway, contrary to what deepspacecreeper would have you believe, you do NOT need "highly advanced skills" to return to Kerbin safely:

If you've escaped the sphere of influence already because you warped through it after releasing your mistake or otherwise, the easiest way to return from an escape if you've only very recently departed is to burn straight towards the planet and keep an eye out for encounters further along the solar orbit; depending on how fast you were escaping, this may be anything from a couple of days to a few weeks away.

Got to the map view. Click on Kerbin, and click 'Set as Target'. Now look at the Nav ball. There will be a pink circle on one side and a pink tri-lobed object on the opposite side of the ball. These indicate the direction to (circle) and away from your target, Kerbin. Point your nose at the pink circle and burn. Watch the map, looking for a kerbin encounter. (Pro tip: Notice how the velocity vector ( yellow/green circle) will move toward where the nose is pointed while burning. Try and drag the yellow circle on top of the pink circle.)

When you achieve an encounter, burn toward the retrograde velocity vector until your Kerbin periapse is 20,000m (20 km). Prepare to land.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the Forum.

Got to the map view. Click on Kerbin, and click 'Set as Target'. Now look at the Nav ball. There will be a pink circle on one side and a pink tri-lobed object on the opposite side of the ball. These indicate the direction to (circle) and away from your target, Kerbin. Point your nose at the pink circle and burn. Watch the map, looking for a kerbin encounter. (Pro tip: Notice how the velocity vector ( yellow/green circle) will move toward where the nose is pointed while burning. Try and drag the yellow circle on top of the pink circle.)

When you achieve an encounter, burn toward the retrograde velocity vector until your Kerbin periapse is 20,000m (20 km). Prepare to land.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for the help and welcoming!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.