[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

Hey Bones, I finalized something I 've been wanting to do for a long time: a Mk3 Space Shuttle with a 5m external tank, 2.5m booster and Cryogenic Engines. It flies like a dream and looks awesome, thanks a lot for the orange foam texture in one of the recent updates!http://i.imgur.com/BLKm03K.jpg

Awesome, that looks great!

Bug: With the F26, F38, and F51 tanks, the entire textures unwraps itself to a part on the tank, like this: http://i.imgur.com/eGhnJMD.png
That part of the tank looks like the flag overlay.
NVM PickledTripod you were right; I forgot to choose a mission flag, so now the issue is solved

That's right, the flag decal defaults to the tank texture as a placeholder. I didn't think it was possible to not have a flag selected at all. The default "Kerbal Space Program" is usually selected for you if you don't choose something.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nick481 said:

For some reason the 5m fuel tanks flash orange and white in a glitchy way, I tried turning down texture quality and turning off anti aliasing and they still do it. I really want to use these parts so I hope there is a fix. Thanks.

Do you have InterstellarFuelSwitch or Firespitter installed? It's trying to use multiple colors, which means it believes one or both of those are installed, but it's not working correctly. First thing to try is go into GameData and delete "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" (it will be re-created automatically). If that doesn't fix it, you may need to install or reinstall one of those two mods (just the DLL is needed, you don't need the entirety of those mods if you don't want them).

Edited by NecroBones

Hey Bones, have you seen the new pictures of the Space Launch System NASA published when it passed critical design review? The SRBs got a pretty cool new paint job. I believe there's already a mod out there that retextures both the Kickback boosters and the 3.75m fuel tanks to the new SLS colors, it would be really nice to somehow add options for that on your 1.875m and 2.5m boosters. And why not Titan 3 booster textures, and all black like ATK's proposal for the SLS Block 2's advanced boosters. I know that the current texture is basically copy-pasted on every segment so I don't know if and how it could be implented without significantly increasing texture size so maybe it would have to be a SpaceY Expanded feature.

Another idea I got would be nosecones with built-in sepatrons, that would be quite useful.

59 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Do you have InterstellarFuelSwitch or Firespitter installed? It's trying to use multiple colors, which means it believes one or both of those are installed, but it's not working correctly. First thing to try is go into GameData and delete "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" (it will be re-created automatically). If that doesn't fix it, you may need to install or reinstall one of those two mods (just the DLL is needed, you don't need the entirety of those mods if you don't want them).

I don't have either of those mods, but I did notice the module manager file in the download but I never copied it into any file in KSP. I just copied it into my gamedata folder and it now works! I had no idea the modulemanager file was needed, thanks for the help and mod!

12 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

Hey Bones, have you seen the new pictures of the Space Launch System NASA published when it passed critical design review? The SRBs got a pretty cool new paint job. I believe there's already a mod out there that retextures both the Kickback boosters and the 3.75m fuel tanks to the new SLS colors, it would be really nice to somehow add options for that on your 1.875m and 2.5m boosters. And why not Titan 3 booster textures, and all black like ATK's proposal for the SLS Block 2's advanced boosters. I know that the current texture is basically copy-pasted on every segment so I don't know if and how it could be implented without significantly increasing texture size so maybe it would have to be a SpaceY Expanded feature.

Another idea I got would be nosecones with built-in sepatrons, that would be quite useful.

Yeah, sepratron nose-cones are on my list. I'm thinking at the very least, 1.25m (for the 1.875m SRBs) and 2.5m versions. Some color changing for the SRBs would be pretty awesome. To add anything to them, I'd have to add at least one new reasonably large texture, especially if it has that new SLS curvy paint scheme. So I agree the texture probably needs to be in Expanded, since Lifters already expects Expanded anyway before turning on other color changes, and it keeps the additional memory use to a minimum unless you have Expanded installed. Pretty cool. I think this could work.

12 hours ago, Nick481 said:

I don't have either of those mods, but I did notice the module manager file in the download but I never copied it into any file in KSP. I just copied it into my gamedata folder and it now works! I had no idea the modulemanager file was needed, thanks for the help and mod!

Ah yes. The "color changing" MM config has rules for both cases of being enabled via one of those mods, or disabled because they're absent. If the this config is missing, you'll see all of the colors at once. It's probably possible to rework this so that the MM config is only needed to enable the color-changing, rather than for both modes. But at least right now, the file needs to be there.

9 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Some color changing for the SRBs would be pretty awesome. To add anything to them, I'd have to add at least one new reasonably large texture, especially if it has that new SLS curvy paint scheme. So I agree the texture probably needs to be in Expanded, since Lifters already expects Expanded anyway before turning on other color changes, and it keeps the additional memory use to a minimum unless you have Expanded installed. Pretty cool. I think this could work.

So far the texture stuff is pretty manageable. I have the tallest 2.5m SRB working as a test case. To get these color patterns working for all of the 2.5m SRBs, it's only adding a single medium-sized texture, the same size as the one used by the stock Orange Jumbo. That's not too bad. To keep the complexity down, I may go ahead and include it with the mainline SpaceY Lifters.

Test screenie:

KSP%202015-12-04%2018-49-00-37.jpg

10 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

That's awesome man. This with look great with my 5m SLS, if only I could find an Orion-style launch escape tower... I might actually make one myself, I have some ideas for a dual-stage LES with integrated attitude thrusters and separation motors.

You mean like this? :)

kKAxF8o.jpg

On 12/4/2015, 8:25:28, flintlockmusket said:

Beautiful work NecroBones.  Love the work you do.  Please keep up the great work.

On 12/5/2015, 12:41:53, Mackilroy said:

Fantastic stuff Necro! I love using the SpaceY parts, so much easier to launch heavy payloads with them.

Glad you like it! :)

5 hours ago, NecroBones said:

You mean like this? :)

Kind of, but for 3.75m capsules like the Taurus HCV. There's the ShadowWorks stockalike SLS mod but it's made specifically for the Orion capsule in that mod with a boost cover. I'm making something that will be more universal, without an adapter cone or cover to fit any capsule, and separated into two parts: a strong solid motor to lift heavy capsules with a 0.625m attachement node on top, and an advanced micro LES with monoprop attitude motors for small capsules like the Mk1 pod. And if you put the micro LES on top of the big one, it gives you the Orion two-stage tower with separation motors and attitude motors.pEwemT8.png

@NecroBones, are you planning to redesign the 3.75m SRBs as well ?

And, also, if you have some time to lose, I have always wished a 3.75m slanted adapter. I understand it is not in stock because you don't use 3.75m boosters everyday; but with a 5m or 7.5m core, not being able to make aesthetically pleasant 3.75m boosters has always bothered me. It would be a nice thing to add in the future :)

3 hours ago, Gaarst said:

@NecroBones, are you planning to redesign the 3.75m SRBs as well ?

And, also, if you have some time to lose, I have always wished a 3.75m slanted adapter. I understand it is not in stock because you don't use 3.75m boosters everyday; but with a 5m or 7.5m core, not being able to make aesthetically pleasant 3.75m boosters has always bothered me. It would be a nice thing to add in the future :)

I might do the 3.75m as well, but they'll need a different texture and probably won't get exactly the same paint schemes. So maybe white and black schemes, but not the SLS curved stripes. That's the one that really made the other texture mapping more complicated and difficult to share across parts.

What kind of slanted adapter? You mean like 5m to multi-3.75m aerodynamic sort of thing?

3 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

I might do the 3.75m as well, but they'll need a different texture and probably won't get exactly the same paint schemes. So maybe white and black schemes, but not the SLS curved stripes. That's the one that really made the other texture mapping more complicated and difficult to share across parts.

What kind of slanted adapter? You mean like 5m to multi-3.75m aerodynamic sort of thing?

No, simply one like this, but 3.75m to 2.5m (and maybe bigger) for boosters. I like having the nose of my boosters pointing towards the core rather than just being a straight nosecone. And using 7.5m cores requires big boosters, so big adapters or nosecones :wink:

Spoiler

C7_Brand_Adapter_Slanted_-_2.5m_to_1.25m

4 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

No, simply one like this, but 3.75m to 2.5m (and maybe bigger) for boosters. I like having the nose of my boosters pointing towards the core rather than just being a straight nosecone. And using 7.5m cores requires big boosters, so big adapters or nosecones :wink:

Hide contents

C7_Brand_Adapter_Slanted_-_2.5m_to_1.25m

Ah, yeah that makes more sense. ;) I'll write it down as a possibility.

23 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Ah, yeah that makes more sense. ;) I'll write it down as a possibility.

Ah, what about R-7 style boosters, if talking slanted? For small rockets these tend to end up overpowered, but I remember using the ones in KW Rocketry quite a bit back in 0.25 (AFAIR, they were 2.5 and 3.75, just tanks, but not at all stock-alike :/).

I find that the "Kiwi" engine makes a difference for 1.25m booster stages, roughly twice the thrust of a "Swivel" gives a useful choice that doesn't depend on a 2.5m tank, with the rationale of improved turbopumps. And now I'm wondering if a similar upgrade to the "Terrier" would be useful for transfer stages and the like. Looking at the stock tech tree, I'm not sure it would be worthwhile. It would be at a higher level than the "Kiwi", where it would be competing with the "Poodle" and 2.5m-1.25m conical tank as a transfer stage.

I'm undecided. It wouldn't be hard to make a test part.cfg pointing to the "Terrier" mesh and textures, and applying similar scaling for thrust. mass, and ISP to the "Swivel"-"Kiwi" combination.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.