[1.4] SpaceY Heavy-Lifter Parts Pack v1.17.1 (2018-04-02)

NecroBones

35 minutes ago, jmbailey2000 said:

Necro,

Quick question......for some reason I have a bunch of ships that that won't load because they require SYengine5mF5 part. Yet, I cannot find that part in your pack anymore. I know this part existed when I transitioned to 1.02 because I loaded every ship and re-saved it in 1.02 to make sure they would work. I just don't know when/where the part went and was wondering if you maybe point me to where I can find this part?

Greatly appreciated!

Yep, it was renamed as part of the big KSP 1.0 update. You can scan through your save file and just change it to "SYengine5mM5". The "F" engines were renamed to "M" to match the in-game rename that happened quite a while earlier.

On 1/29/2016 at 7:32 PM, NecroBones said:

Yep, it was renamed as part of the big KSP 1.0 update. You can scan through your save file and just change it to "SYengine5mM5". The "F" engines were renamed to "M" to match the in-game rename that happened quite a while earlier.

Worked great!!!

Thanks!

Oy Bones, two more small suggestions. First one: a full lenght striped pattern on the 5m tanks. I actually had that in mind when I asked about using the Expanded texture on the 5m tanks and adding pattern switching but didn't ask for it specifically. I kinda expected it to be included in the previous update since 7.5m tanks have it, but as I was building a 5m Saturn V yesterday I tried to switch to the stripped pattern on one tank only to realize it didn't exist... I was mildly disappointed for a second then felt like an ungrateful dick for expecting a modder who adds tons of cool stuff to a game for free to obey my every whims and fancies without me even telling them about it.

Second suggestion, actually for Fuel Tanks Plus but posted here because I couldn't be bothered to make another post in another thread two clicks away: Titan texture for 2.5m tanks. Pleeeeeeeaaaase!!! No seriously, the Titan rockets were light-to-medium launchers, 2.5m rockets have a more analogue role in KSP than 3.75m ones.

51 minutes ago, PickledTripod said:

Oy Bones, two more small suggestions. First one: a full lenght striped pattern on the 5m tanks. I actually had that in mind when I asked about using the Expanded texture on the 5m tanks and adding pattern switching but didn't ask for it specifically. I kinda expected it to be included in the previous update since 7.5m tanks have it, but as I was building a 5m Saturn V yesterday I tried to switch to the stripped pattern on one tank only to realize it didn't exist... I was mildly disappointed for a second then felt like an ungrateful dick for expecting a modder who adds tons of cool stuff to a game for free to obey my every whims and fancies without me even telling them about it.

Second suggestion, actually for Fuel Tanks Plus but posted here because I couldn't be bothered to make another post in another thread two clicks away: Titan texture for 2.5m tanks. Pleeeeeeeaaaase!!! No seriously, the Titan rockets were light-to-medium launchers, 2.5m rockets have a more analogue role in KSP than 3.75m ones.

Probably doable. ;) I'll try to remember to look at this again when I get back to it all next week.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Hey @NecroBones, can you remove the stock category under the advanced part view? I'd much prefer an in-built tab using the stock things instead of creating one the user can edit, because the + in the top-right of a part icon is annoying. I can upload a picture of what I mean if you would like.

I'm not sure how to change that (or if it's even possible), short of just removing the custom category altogether. Which would be a shame since that's something I'm sure a lot of people have wanted.

8 hours ago, NecroBones said:

I'm not sure how to change that (or if it's even possible), short of just removing the custom category altogether. Which would be a shame since that's something I'm sure a lot of people have wanted.

Ah, but maybe talk to Roverdude because he has done it in stock, he can very likely help.

11 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Ah, but maybe talk to Roverdude because he has done it in stock, he can very likely help.

If you have a screenshot or a good example, I'll probably need to see it. I looked at the USI mods and didn't see anything about custom tabs or categories among the files, with a quick search.

8 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Planetary Base Systems does the same thing, it requires a plugin AFAIK.

That's what I believe too. I know FilterExtensions adds a lot of functionality, but our options are limited in stock.

If you have a screenshot or a good example, I'll probably need to see it. I looked at the USI mods and didn't see anything about custom tabs or categories among the files, with a quick search.

That's what I believe too. I know FilterExtensions adds a lot of functionality, but our options are limited in stock.

Oh, so it is FilterExtensions. Yeah, then it would need to be installed for that. Maybe a check to see if FilterExtensions is installed and then add it using that, and if it isn't installed use the stock way?

Just now, legoclone09 said:

Oh, so it is FilterExtensions. Yeah, then it would need to be installed for that. Maybe a check to see if FilterExtensions is installed and then add it using that, and if it isn't installed use the stock way?

I'm not sure how possible that is either. ;) That would depend entirely on whether ModuleManager can edit the data that's used for those. It's probably worth experimenting with, but until then it's hard to say.

I'm not sure how possible that is either. ;) That would depend entirely on whether ModuleManager can edit the data that's used for those. It's probably worth experimenting with, but until then it's hard to say.

Ok, if you can get it to work thank you!

Posted update.

Let's see how this works out. For a stock-ish game that doesn't have FireSpitter or IFS, the color-changing switches off by using one "shroud" container object instead of lots of individual "shrouds" for each paint scheme. I had forgotten that I had started that config, and then never used it. It looks like it works, but let me know if you run into any problems.

1.9 (2016-02-18) - Paint!
 - Added additional striped paint scheme to 5m tanks.
 - Switched the Color-Changing config to turn off alternate paint schemes via a slightly simpler method.

-----

17 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Ok, if you can get it to work thank you!

I tried some tests, and it doesn't look like it works currently. Those custom tabs are purely additive as far as I can tell, and MM didn't seem to be able to add it conditionally.

I know it's not pretty, but you can delete it on your side by deleting "GameData\SpaceY-Lifters\Category\CustomCategory.cfg"

Edited by NecroBones

Hey Necro, I'm just checking out SpaceY for the first time, and I was particularly interested in the SRBs and thrust plates. Some questions/suggestions on both of those topics:

- I especially like the concept of the A2-1 and A2-1X plates, simply a plate with a preset shroud and a single node one size class down on the inside. I am always, always frustrated by the inability to properly mount undersized engines in a stock stack without immediately introducing wet noodle syndrome due to the smaller nodes, and the thrust plates used as interstages solve that neatly. And of course you can surface attach to them too. However, I notice that that pair is the only such pair in the pack. Got some more of those thrust plates in a different mod of yours, or are these all you made? I'd especially like to see 1.25m -> 0.625m, and for completeness' sake, 3.75m -> 2.5m and 5m -> 3.75m also make sense.

To save on part bloat, you could combine the short and long variants into a single part with two lower nodes at different distances. A bit like what you did with the Moa.

I mean, I could always go bother Nertea about additions to NF Construction, but since you're at it anyway... :P

- Aren't the base costs of the SRBs a wee bit funky? :P  They're all over the place, and almost all are several times cheaper than stock SRB options. I mean, low prices are always appreciated, but experience says that stock SRBs are already always the cheaper option compared to LF/O. They don't really need another massive discount, especially if you want them "stock-balanced" while still carrying gimbals.

Yeah, menu bloat is a big concern, but then again, that's what the "Expanded" pack is for-- All the optional stuff that not everyone might want. ;)

49 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

- Aren't the base costs of the SRBs a wee bit funky? :P  They're all over the place, and almost all are several times cheaper than stock SRB options. I mean, low prices are always appreciated, but experience says that stock SRBs are already always the cheaper option compared to LF/O. They don't really need another massive discount, especially if you want them "stock-balanced" while still carrying gimbals.

Yeah, some of the pricing is out of whack. I'll have to rebalance that. The ejectatron dry-mass is probably just an oversight, copy-pasting from the sepratron and forgetting to change it. What's awesome is how long it can stay that way without any of us noticing. :) But for the SRB base costs, what happened was that they were pretty balanced when I first made them, but that was before a lot of the career enhancements pre-1.0. The Size-3 SRBs came later and I balanced those against what was current. So the other SRBs are just an artifact from that. I can rework it now though. The intent was to use the Kickback as the basis for balancing SpaceY's SRBs.

12 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

The ejectatron dry-mass is probably just an oversight, copy-pasting from the sepratron and forgetting to change it.

Nope, Ejectatron is right, your spreadsheet has that one wrong. The Ejectatron dry mass is 0.125, whereas the sepratron is 0.0125.

8 hours ago, Gorillatavern said:

After stalling the heavy lifter mod I'm only seeing two (space y) parts everything else is empty, anyone know why this is?

If you're not in Sandbox, check out the R&D building. :)

4 hours ago, Streetwind said:

It is? Wow. I must have missed the key on that one :P Thanks for pointing it out.

No worries. :) I have the prices rebalanced on the SRBs and will put out a patch fairly soon, since I have some other minor things in the works now too.

Alrighty, updated:

1.10 (2016-02-19) - The unintentionally quick update.
 - SRB 10R (radial) gimbal range reduced to 2 degrees (from 4).
 - Base (dry) cost of most SRBs (other than 3.75m models) increased slightly to align more with stock.
 - Moved ModuleManager patches to a "Patches" folder.
 - Added support for DefaultActionGroups mod, to automatically enable the SAS light on the radial reaction wheels.
 - Added color switching for 5m decoupler and separator, to match 5m tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted:

1.11 (2016-02-28) - Tweaks.
 - Adjusted the MM rule for DefaultActionGroups to tweak the descriptions in the radial reaction wheels.
 - Added 5m color-changing to the R7 engine cluster. 
 - Corrected the missing blue texture from the 3.75m tall 5m tank.