Kadvent Kalender - 24 missions leading up to christmas

TJPrime

The December 5th challenge is up and running!

And this time, we're beginning a program - not just a single mission! (don't be discouraged by this - read the spoiler and you'll see what I mean)

Brings up some V64,000 questions, Hard mode is just no revert or quick save? (F-12) not needed to change the setting in a game, even Sandbox. Are we just designing the lander for the 5th or doing the mission to get him there? Any budget to work with? Any particular target on Mun? Any required Science? One way trip or need to be capable of returning safely?

I have several reliable one Kerbal designs from various Career programs that are suitable for this mission. If cost is no issue, even a modified Demo design is suitable.

Have a model meeting in 15 minutes. Will finish the satellite network later, then build one of Mun ships for Tomorrow.

Wow, this was a longer challenge than I expected. I was in the process of designing a 4 satellite SSTO launcher, until I saw the requirement for a Mun and Minmus network - gave up then and went for the rocket launched option. IMHO, I think challenges of this size should be given in advance, with perhaps a small challenge to occupy us in the meantime.

Anyway... the construction of my SKYNET communication network:

I got a 4 - way Keo-synchronous network set up, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. One satellite directly over KSC, and a very nice square shaped network. Next came the Mun and Minmus missions, with 2 satellites each. Almost semi-synchronous for the Mun, but I messed up by looking at the wrong number (might correct it at some point, but it'll do for now). Minmus was a synchronous network (or as close as I could get with such low gravity - even on an 8% throttle limited ion engine, the orbit was swinging around wildly as it got closer to circularising!).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Still Me xD

For December the 5, i have the ship ready made !

6BiSG5X.jpg

The video of the stock mission i made some days ago...

I think i'll have to redo in "hard mode"... could be fun :)

I crashed on the Mun 2 times before to land near the Armstrong Memorial...

Just barely finished day 4 challenge in time, but here's my album. I did my best approximation of a comm system, though it's not my forte, so I just kind op hoped. One of my 8 satellites disappeared on me, so we have dasher and dancer and vixen. And them the game bugged out, so no other ones have names. Merry Christmas, I guess... Enjoy the yellow spacecraft.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Damn. Here I thought I was done with Dec 4...and I should mention the missus got pissed off at me for playing KSP as long as I did yesterday, on account of she wanted me to nap. Human beings can operate on 4 hours sleep. Not well, admittedly...

Anyways, I did get a sat network set up for Kerbin. Missed the Mun/Minmus requirement, so I'ma guessin' I'll be working on those later.

vfVLoKA.png

RJQ6nki.png

For trying to set up a satellite constellation without a dedicated satellite constellation mod to tell me when to let each go, I think I did pretty damn good if I say so my own self. Now I just got to get some sats up around Mun and Minmus and I'm set.

Love those little comm probes. .77 tonnes each, with monoprop fuel and a trio of O-10 engines they still get 60 kN of thrust for some hella-TWR and 2000 m/s of delta-V.

Dec 5: Mun lander, eh? I generally eat thems for breakfast. Er...midnight-ish snackish. Question begged is how many Kerbals do I need to accommodate - by far I design one-Kerbal landers most often, but my record is six during the Konstellation Program Challenge:

oUYOUiL.png

Could easily re-do that thing; she was designed for Duna. I'd be interested in redesigning the booster anyways...

Edited by capi3101

OP, are there any more requirements for the Mun lander? I assume it's a manned mission - but more than 1 Kerbal? Will we need science gathering stuff/rovers?

You can go with 1 kerbal or 100 kerbals. But it must have a kerbal at least.

Christmas is upon us ...

All the challenges have been selected for all 24 days. However, if you have any suggestions, I might put them in if you've been good this year :D

Dude, where's the 6th!?

Worldwide audience, 24-7 systems operational.

It's cool but "I have to go to school" = "I can't do it". All you have to do is publish once per day and, annoyingly enough, arbitrate all the questions and quibbles that raises.

I'm possibly missing the 6th because by the time I'm back from work again it'll all be over.

Alright, I've begun work on the new program. I'd like to present my new lander to you all:

qXgxQxA.png

Well, that looks a little problematic. Fortunately, that was after a re-entry/high-speed parachute no guidance 4x physics crash test. Still, engines aren't cheap. With hardmode and permadeath enabled, with the exception of revert to VAB/SPH, because I have too many bugs sometimes (I swear I won't cheat with it), this looks like it will be an interesting program.

Ill design a lifter 5 minutes before launch tomorrow. 'Tis the procrastinator's way. I would like to thank Treldon for his flag, which I plan on taking with me to the moon and elsewhere. Hat tip to you, sir!

I will see you all tomorrow for the great launch in for the moon. Good luck, and may your vessels be free of kraken/cthulhu/space octopi/etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.