TJPrime

The lander is finally ready

Main and aux engines - check

zdpzHVg.png?1

Landing lights and solar panels - check

wkZeu96.png?1

Fancy lights - check

wayi1QA.png?1

The design works. Most of the time. Bob, Sammy, Shepwise, you will be missed. We will put up a flag in your crater

Ran the test a few minutes ago with the design on the left. Adding the outrigger landers made handling a bit dicy for the orbital turn compared to the nice stable design on the right. Will add an SAS for additional control.

Kcv4kGj.jpg

Launch;

04gSxAt.jpg

In the required test orbit. (Dumped the second stage early so it would deorbit.)

CoFuWxd.jpg

Setting up the return maneuver with figuring in that Kerbal will rotate under the pariapsis to the sea West of KSP by the time of reentry.

c8wh6RR.jpg

Edited by SRV Ron

Slight mishap with this attempt, as the first launch ended in an abort after the SRB hit and destroyed the main fuel tanks. Nothing more drastic than that though, and I was able to seperate the capsule for a splashdown near KSC. Redesigned, with a launch abort system and SRB separation boosters, and everything went OK. Landing was off target, but I came in too high and had to go around again.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here is my entry, unfortunately i had to start a new save since my previous save got corrupted. Also i increased the brightness of the landing area of my ship since it was going to land during night. Finally since the Orion capsule was unmanned isent my ship also without any crew.

Finally - FINALLY - finished up the challenge from December 2:

ZjGTrO3.png

t2yhtkT.png

Still working on Day 4's challenge...I was dismayed to discover you can't put stuff in synchronous orbit of Mun and KER was being stupid last night when it came to calculating how much Delta-V the Minmus mission had...

I did have a thought about something mentioned in the Day 5 challenge. How exactly will anybody be able to tell if the game's being played in Hard Mode? That's not exactly something that can be easily determined from screenies...

Day 6 sounds simple enough - I better get to crackin' on that one.

I did have a thought about something mentioned in the Day 5 challenge. How exactly will anybody be able to tell if the game's being played in Hard Mode? That's not exactly something that can be easily determined from screenies...

Can be - Menu, Settings, Difficulty is shown right at the top. As part of your pre-launch checklist (because you pressed the button too early), you will need to show a screenshot with the settings menu open.

December 7th will be coming in later - having to post this at a radio station I volunteer for.

Dec 6th (5th reprised): Aha! Now it's "one Kerbal" possible, I'll use the system I developed for the Mun Challenge/, since it's super-light (TL;DR it's 4.7t including the launch vehicle. Others there got below 4t!). To be honest I just wish I could fly pure ion ones in that thread but I just can't land them.

So, done dusted and tested :-) Hope your broadband is feeling better and you aren't suffering too much yourself TJ.

Edited by Pecan

Alright, finished my day 6 test, just barely in time. In the spirit of orion, I basically put the lander on a mock Delta IV and sent it up. The thing was way OP for the experiment, but I may just use it for the moon, just because it works. I missed the entry and came down on the land west of KSC, as drag during re-entry turned a last minute burn against me. I lost the engines again, due to a loss of parachutes during powered landing. Still, that's just bad piloting, and I'll fix that when I fly, instead of trying to fly via IVA.

xFSOebO.png

3CzS9Yv.png

zGrzAYB.png

December 7th is now active

And this time, we're going there and back with one burn!

Any bonus if we can set up the NASA figure eight free return?

rbOVDrA.jpg

3h6f6x6.jpg

Have a Santa Village event today so may have to conduct the mission this evening.

Day 6 - I was a little worried about this one since I often have boosters crash into the second stage and have to do a bit of iterative engineering to get everything working. This time everything went well. For the actual Mun attempt I may try a pancake style to avoid that issue.

Place some tweaked separatrons on top of the SRBs with just enough thrust to gently kick them away from the core stage.

I'm also assuming that once we have picked a design to use, we should use that same basic design for the testing and completing the Mun landing and return.

Edited by SRV Ron

Hi Again :)

Now the Kadvent Kalender December 7th Mission Report Still No mods, Hard Mode, with Jeb, Bill and Bob onboard !

I was a little short on fuel on the 3rd stage, had to take some fuel from the CM...

Was also unable to preview the landing "free return" spot on kerbin without mods, i rebound 1 time on the atmosphere and hopefully i landed on a flat land :)

Jeb said: "I almost touch the Mun !!!"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.