Kadvent Kalender - 24 missions leading up to christmas

TJPrime

Kadvent Day 13-14 catching up

A C-class in KEO achieved

Javascript is disabled. View full album

As mentioned before the original Duna mission (launched while waiting for the asteroid) was eaten by a Kraken, so I have to launch a new one today. Posting soon

UPDATE: orbit corrected. Pe 100.001 meter.

Edited by Treldon

Gah...could've gotten myself finally caught up to December 16th today had I read the requirement for December 14 more closely...I just needed to get the periapsis to 100k. Didn't need to actually put it into a 100k orbit like I thought. I guess the good news there is that I know my little probe can do the job - and it'd take just a little puff of the engines to do it, so that'll happen tonight!

Report of last night's activities is forthcoming.

Gah...could've gotten myself finally caught up to December 16th today had I read the requirement for December 14 more closely...I just needed to get the periapsis to 100k. Didn't need to actually put it into a 100k orbit like I thought. I guess the good news there is that I know my little probe can do the job - and it'd take just a little puff of the engines to do it, so that'll happen tonight!

Report of last night's activities is forthcoming.

Oh, it has to be exactly 100 km? It's a good thing I sent up two of those asteroid movers...

Oh, it has to be exactly 100 km? It's a good thing I sent up two of those asteroid movers...

The exact wording of the challenge is Redirect an asteroid to a periapsis of 100km. I assume there's some tolerance in the figure. Maybe a pin the tail on the donkey award or some such - whoever's closest wins or somesuch. Me, I'm just glad it's not an orbit; my little probe only had 97 m/s of delta-V after it clawed on to the rock...

EDIT: Alright. Here's my activities from yesterday evening:

Tonight I pin the tail on the donkey and get ready to go to Duna. Almost caught up.

Edited by capi3101

Y'all don't mind me; I'm just making my list and checking it twice...

√√ 12/01: To land inside on of the tracking stations dishs

√√ 12/02: Land on all the facilities at the KSC with one craft

√√ 12/03: Attempt to create the fastest air-breathing plane that is still controllable

√√ 12/04: To launch a new satellite network within Kerbin's SOI

√√ 12/05: Begin working on a lander design to land kerbals on the mun

√√ 12/06: Test the lander designs in orbit around kerbin (get your apoapsis to 1,000KM and your periapsis within the atmosphere).

√√ 12/07: Send your Mun lander and command module to the mun and return using a free return trajectory

√√ 12/08: Land on the Mun!

√√ 12/09: Bring a rover to the Mun with the lander! When you land the rover, then you must drive at least 5km away from the landing site.

√√ 12/10: Land on Minmus. One crewmember must be Jeb.

√√ 12/11: Build a small solid fuel ship that can carry a probe core to an altitude anywhere between 12 and 70km

√√ 12/12: Send something out to investigate the second KSC

√√ 12/13: Begin constructing a vessel to redirect an asteroid

• 12/14: Redirect an asteroid to a periapsis of 100km

√√ 12/15: Begin work on a new Duna lander and transfer stage

• 12/16: Launch your Duna lander into LKO and set yourself up for Duna transfer

• 12/17: Land on Duna

• 12/18: Carry out experiments on Duna before heading back to Kerbin; Time warp until you can get home!

• 12/19: Build a rocket that can explode at a controlled point in mid-air

• 12/20: Build and launch a space station core module into LKO

• 12/21: Not yet.

• 12/22: Not yet.

• 12/23: Not yet.

• 12/24: Not yet.

The challenge for Dec 19 looks interesting...going to have to channel my inner Xactar, looks like.

Day 18: The long voyage

This took so long! My use of TAC Life Support and the design of my lander meant I had to try and balance getting home alive and having the dV to get home. That and having to do 1800m/s manoeuvres with 4 xenon engines and a TWR of 0.1 meant this missions took a lot longer than I thought. Entering the atmosphere at 4700m/s with Deadly Reentry was rather fun though :)

Day 19: EXPLOSIONS

It was surprisingly difficult to get stuff to explode when I wanted it to, but I managed it in the end. Very happy it didn't take as long as Day 18!

Two stage SRB. The cluster separates on command and upper engines ignited. Then, the double upper core explodes on overheating. The center continues up to space before coming back down to crash on Jeb's house.

CBNq5Pp.jpg

8veKHHo.jpg

Missed the part of unmanned. Will launch a core using the same two stage heavy lifter used to chase the asteroid. What is up there now has a full orange can that only used a tiny amount for orbit adjustment. I may just recover it in a powered landing into the ocean.

urkKPKQ.jpg

e1xqoV3.jpg

Edit, Hansted is going to bring the fuel can up to the core module to dock with it.

Edited by SRV Ron

Remote module, built on the heavy launcher, in a 150k orbit. The booster is in a decay orbit even though it has lots of fuel left after lifting the much lighter core module. Hansted with the fuel can is already on an intercept to the higher orbit to dock.

Launch vehicle with core payload;

VD3XXw0.jpg

On the pad;

mMdBVOB.jpg

In the 150k+ orbit which can be adjusted by the small booster on board.

3vqx6Zr.jpg

The second stage in decaying orbit.

jKsnGNM.jpg

On Day 19 there were fireworks. It took a bit of time for the KSC engineers to devise something that would blow up intentionally. Normally things blow up without any sort of advanced warning, hence their confusion about requirements. In the end they succeeded, likely accidentally, but not one of them would admit it.

The engineers were much more pleased to be working on the challenge for Day 20. A space station in LKO had long been the dream of one or two of them, so after the hangovers had worn off and through various means they managed to convince the rest of the department of the merits of said project. Our three heroes were convinced to board yet another untested rocket in order to deliver the station core to LKO. All three refused to remain in orbit, so the engineers decided to include a remote control unit so they could keep the station under control. They still hope to convince someone to take up residence in their contraption someday, but only time will tell if anyone will.

Finally into the 20's in the Kadvent Kallender! Throughout the month, there have been some interesting entries. Some got me amazed, some made me laugh. This truly has been a great month for me. I never thought this would take off!

I do have some things to say about the challenges and what I intend afterwards.

Firstly, I've decided to continue the challenge into the last few days of December and January 1st. The reason is simple: when I saw people struggling with time on December 3rd, I decided that the larger missions will be done over multiple days (such as the Mun & Duna landings and the Space station). This meant that some missions were scrapped. The missions over the last few days are the left-overs from the rest of the missions. Completing them will contribute to the leader board (The pre-Christmas challenges leader board will be up December 28th, with the post-Christmas challenges being up January 3rd)

Secondly, I am setting up a new list of challenges for the whole of 2015! Although it won't be once a day, but rather, three a week.

Lastly, my first ever mod. The mod will include the challenges listed here, some of the 2015 challenges and will be updated once every month (note: this may differ, as it will rely on another mod to help make it work. If it goes down, I'm stuffed). It will also include some flags for agencies and your missions! This was suggested to me a while back while watching someone streaming KSP on Twitch.

Finally into the 20's in the Kadvent Kallender! Throughout the month, there have been some interesting entries. Some got me amazed, some made me laugh. This truly has been a great month for me. I never thought this would take off!

While working on your challenge, I am developing a 7 day one based on doing actual career in 0.90 Beta, combo tutorial and challenge. So much has changed that this has become a challenge on normal mode to just develop the program from that first launch to completing the first interplanetary contracts. The new restrictions from the early KSP complex means limited ship size, no Maneuver Mode for early orbital missions, no surface sampling, and no EVA in space until one is able to afford to upgrade. Before I post that challenge, I am doing it myself to test out the restrictions and time needed to complete each day's goals.

Needless to say, funds are tight with science hard to come by in just normal Career mode. The launch pad needs to be upgraded just to do an orbital mission with science modules. The Astronaut Complex needs an upgrade before Jeb can EVA. (At least, he doesn't fly off the ladder any more.) And, most expensive, a dual upgrade of Mission Control and the Tracking Station in order to activate Maneuver Modes, a tool needed for fulfilling contracts to Mun, Minmus, Duna, Eve, and Ike.

I'll post the specs in its own thread when testing is done after Christmas. ( Hopefully, lots of people will have their first copy of KSP to try it out.)

Edited by SRV Ron

This evening I can report that I'm (finally) caught up - yesterday I was able to get a lot accomplished, including putting that rock in a 300x100 orbit, blowing up a rocket, sending up a core module and sending my guys to Duna. Today I docked a habitat module to the core and brought the guys back from Duna after puttering about a little.

Report forthcoming.

I do need to know if the challenges for December 23rd and 24th are going to be released early. I'll be travelling, and where I'm going I already know I won't be able to play. I've gotten this far along with the challenge - I'd like to finish it if I can.

Day 21 - I'm finally all caught up again.

I just read the fine print. No Kerbals allowed for this launch so I'm going to have to redo it. Let's pretend the first one never happened.

OK this time I completed the launch and rendezvous without Kerbals:

Edited by Darmok

Day 21 required the KSC controllers to expand the fledgling space station in LKO. The general plan was to add enough space for sixteen crew members plus a scientific laboratory. In order to facilitate assembly a small tug was added to the launch vehicle.

The launch vehicle was entirely automated. The KSC engineers had to resort to automated systems after the Kerbal crew decided they weren't interested in the space station contraption. Plus, re-runs of Dr. Kseuss Kristmas in Kwhoville were showing on television that day.

After launch the space craft rendezvoused with the station and began operations to attach the three different station expansion modules. The tug successfully maneuvered each section into place, including one section attachment operation conducted on the dark side of Kerbin. After construction the tug attached itself to remain at the station for future operations. The delivery space craft then departed for a safe landing back on Kerbin, and the KSC controllers celebrated with champagne. The engineers are now seriously contemplating this concept of using autonomous space craft might be a better way to explore other planets.

December 21, go big or go home. I sent a 16 Kerbal habitat to the already 8 Kerbal station core. Docking was like the scene in interstellar since my main core has only solar panels and no batteries and docking took place during night time as power ran out on the core station. Also i had to do this quickly as my PC is acting up weird and i had to reinstal KSP with the mods i use

BWcRFXR.png

yC7e63Z.png

kK9POJE.png

S352z3O.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.