Hi there,

Can anyone out there show me a design of a rocket with lander, which can:

1. Undock landermodule around the Mun

2. Land on the Mun

3. Get back to the "mothership"

4. Land back on Kerbin

Thanks. :)

Edited by Hacktech

There's an Apollo 11 tutorial on the wiki. It's a number of versions old now (0.19, I think) but should still work if you stick a quad of OX-STAT solar panels on the sides of the CSM and LEM. There's also a link to a Youtube video from 0.23.5 if you want something more recent; I always had issues building that honkin' booster from the original tutorial...

This has mod parts on it which goes against your OP but it will give you ideas on how to proceed. You can see by the intact struts that it can be launched in one launch (I used fairings but only for looks). Notice that I mounted the legs on the side tanks to make the lander wider and more stable The lander can drop the side tanks and legs to ensure it can make orbit again but has more than enough fuel to land, make one or two hops and return without dropping them. I have reused that specific lander for Mun trips probably 6 or 7 times, though I have replaced the command module twice now, the 2nd one used an LV-N and the 3rd used interstellar's plasma engine and beamed power.

5IalNnX.png

bWa0U9g.png

d2FqD8Y.png

As a guide to designing and building your own vehicle to meet your requirements, I would suggest the following.

Start with a lander - basic requirements are that it has sufficient dV to de-orbit at the Mun, land and then regain orbit. Include RCS fuel and thrusters so that you can rendezvous with your command ship.

Next, design your command ship. At the very minimum, this only needs enough dV to return to Kerbin from the Mun. If you use aerobraking, you don't even need enough fuel to establish orbit at Kerbin on your return. A minimum fuel command ship like this will rely on your lifting stage to get it in to orbit around the Mun though. If you want to have a craft that more closely emulates an Apollo style mission, your command craft will need to have enough dV to do a Munar insertion burn from LKO, and also a Munar orbit burn.

Once you have both of these craft, you then just need a launch vehicle. It should only need 2 stages. The first to get it close to orbit at Kerbin. The second will complete the orbit burn. If you have gone with a low dV command module, this second stage will also need to have enough fuel to do the Munar insertion and orbit burns.

Have fun.

A note that you don't need to go to an Apollo design for landings on Mun and Minmus in KSP. The direct approach is much easier for first time efforts and don't require a lot of rocket.

For return missions from the other planets and moons, the Apollo lander design will become the practicable alternative.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.