Been a while since I\'ve played this and I was never good at it to begin with o i have a few questions.

Does the sun actually exist? or is it part of the background?

right now I\'m headed straight for it so I want to know if im wasting my time trying to orbit or hit the damn thing :P

if it does function like other planets and not as the background, what height is it at?

The star exists only as a light source and an associated lens flare effect, it has no actual physical presence. You used to be able to just fly straight through it (or very close to it), but I think a script may have been added that makes your ship explode if you come too close. Either way going to it is completely pointless.

For added fun, try to get back to Kerbin. I tried this once, and I nearly made it, but in the end I missed Kerbin a few million km. Bring a book, even on max time warp your simulating a Kerbal year or more. I think my near half year orbits we\'re taking like 20+ minutes. Very boring, not leaving Kerbin again like that until there are other planets added for me to travel too.

right now I\'m headed straight for it so I want to know if im wasting my time trying to orbit or hit the damn thing :P

Heading straight for something in space is usually a sure way of never reaching it.

Since v0.12, Kerbol has had a radius of about 68,000 km, from which all orbital altitudes around it were defined.

In v0.12 - v0.13 , Kerbol was a gravitational point that would tear pieces off your spacecraft if you got very close to it, but piercing the surface line was otherwise harmless.

Post v0.14, Kerbol has an autokill line at about 4500 km above its virtual surface. Nothing that gets closer survives.

Huh. So I can say now that I\'m such an old kerbonaut that I remember when you could fly trough the sun? I feel old...

Edit: 'Sundiving? What do YOU know \'bout sundiving?! In my days... blah, blah, blah, kraken, blah blah, 5km from the center, blah, blah, bright like hell, blah, blah. You kids these days don\'t know nothing'. =D

Wow. There actually is solar aerobraking. This is awesome.

Either that or the physics engine is imploding because I am 100,000km from kerbol.

Whatever is actually happening, running at 1x through periapsis of 100,000km on kerbol my apoapsis moved from kerbin orbit, to about half that.

Huh. So I can say now that I\'m such an old kerbonaut that I remember when you could fly trough the sun? I feel old...

Edit: 'Sundiving? What do YOU know \'bout sundiving?! In my days... blah, blah, blah, kraken, blah blah, 5km from the center, blah, blah, bright like hell, blah, blah. You kids these days don\'t know nothing'. =D

You are but a young \'un! Back when I was around here, the sun wasn\'t reachable! It just mocked us, moving away as we got closer! WE never got any closer to it than we did on Kerbin!

And to find this out, we had to get there without fancy struts, without RCS or ASAS! We couldn\'t even stack our fuel tanks back then, and you think that YOU had it hard!

Wow. There actually is solar aerobraking. This is awesome.

Either that or the physics engine is imploding because I am 100,000km from kerbol.

Physics engine is fine even 302,000M away where one of my 'Farlander' class is at the moment, so there must be solar breaking...

You are but a young \'un! Back when I was around here, the sun wasn\'t reachable! It just mocked us, moving away as we got closer! WE never got any closer to it than we did on Kerbin!

And to find this out, we had to get there without fancy struts, without RCS or ASAS! We couldn\'t even stack our fuel tanks back then, and you think that YOU had it hard!

OK. I may be like an 60 year old gramps, but you must be 90yo walking zombie of a kerbonaut... I didn\'t know there was a world before .9 !

Physics engine is fine even 302,000M away where one of my 'Farlander' class is at the moment, so there must be solar breaking...

It\'s not solar breaking because I can go on rails, and it doesnt complain that I\'m it atmosphere. Further, it is RAISING my periapsis, and lowering my apoapsis (dramatically). Currently I am around 140,000K, so MUCH closer then your farlander class. And the physics engine is seriously flunking.

I am currently using this to put my craft in a 100,000K circular orbit around Kerbol.

It\'s not solar breaking because I can go on rails, and it doesnt complain that I\'m it atmosphere. Further, it is RAISING my periapsis, and lowering my apoapsis (dramatically). Currently I am around 140,000K, so MUCH closer then your farlander class. And the physics engine is seriously flunking.

I am currently using this to put my craft in a 100,000K circular orbit around Kerbol.

Well of course you are closer. You are 140.000K away from Kerbol. I\'m 302.000M = 302.000.000K from Kerbol. I can\'t even see the star at this point. I\'m just saying, that kraken is tolerable actually non-existent where I am now. Or at least I thought it was, but obviously I can\'t see my orbit (which doesn\'t exist) and apo/periapsis, so you maybe right.

I called if 'Farlander' for a reason :P

Edit:Also there is no object there, hence no atmosphere. You can\'t collide with anything out there, so I wouldn\'t expect to get message on warp limit, now would I...

Curiously enough, in this long process I am in I did once get a time warp message. While at about 73k from the star it gave me the 'Cannot go over 2x time warp while accelerating' message.

What is your speed at that orbital distance? At 75000k I\'m clearing 100,000m/s, so I can see how the engine might have trouble.

Harnessing the kraken, I have so far managed to pull myself into a 2600M by 77,000K orbit. More to follow.

It doesn\'t matter where you are, you just can\'t go over 2x warp while accelerating (that includes sas current workload). It has nothing to do with how near to something you are. The thing that interests me the most in this, is that I\'m much further away from anything than you, and yet I do not experience ANY kraken... right now I\'m 404.000M at 6600m/s. It would mean that kraken only depends on vessels speed, and not distance... interesting, I didn\'t know that.

It doesn\'t matter where you are, you just can\'t go over 2x warp while accelerating (that includes sas current workload). It has nothing to do with how near to something you are.

Perhaps I was not clear. I was NOT accelerating, I was simply at 100x time warp in orbit and it kicked me down to 2x.

From reading on the kraken, apparently it is mostly in evidence only above 9000m/s and is a result of Physx throwing a hissy fit at high speeds.

...I was simply at 100x time warp in orbit and it kicked me down to 2x...

Ah, now I get it. So the kraken started to mess with your apo/per and warp system read it as ship being under acceleration. That sucks. can you warp over x2 at all now? And if yes - does your speed gets >9km/s when you get closer to apoapsis? You could try and burn at apo to get periapsis further from the sun - and if your lucky then your speed wouldn\'t get over 9km/s. That way you could retain some control at peri and slowly bring apo down to target distane?

Ps.

preview.jpg

Kerbol system marked in red

Ah, now I get it. So the kraken started to mess with your apo/per and warp system read it as ship being under acceleration. That sucks. can you warp over x2 at all now? And if yes - does your speed gets >9km/s when you get closer to apoapsis? You could try and burn at apo to get periapsis further from the sun - and if your lucky then your speed wouldn\'t get over 9km/s. That way you could retain some control at peri and slowly bring apo down to target distane?

Ps.

preview.jpg

Yeah, it lets me go over 2x, but periodically kicks me down to 2x.

However, you misunderstand! There is no way I have fuel to enter this orbit normally. I am harnessing the kraken to do it for me! So far it is working slowly but well.

Since v0.12, Kerbol has had a radius of about 68,000 km, from which all orbital altitudes around it were defined.

In v0.12 - v0.13 , Kerbol was a gravitational point that would tear pieces off your spacecraft if you got very close to it, but piercing the surface line was otherwise harmless.

Post v0.14, Kerbol has an autokill line at about 4500 km above its virtual surface. Nothing that gets closer survives.

Disputed. According to this I should explode at 72,500K. This screenshot is proof that I am alive and well at 66,253K.

Update: orbit currently 48,100K by 481,000K

All altimeter readings on everything in the game are measured from the surface line of the body you\'re orbiting.

Kerbol has a radius of about 68,000km. When you are 4500 km from that surface, your altimeter will read 4500K. You are far, far above the kill line.

All altimeter readings on everything in the game are measured from the surface line of the body you\'re orbiting.

Kerbol has a radius of about 68,000km. When you are 4500 km from that surface, your altimeter will read 4500K. You are far, far above the kill line.

Right, gotcha. I can stop worrying about dropping my orbit too low then :)