Anime

khalidibn

Just wondered if any of you dudes were into anime?

I\'ve been watching various shows for a few years, favourites being Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Planetes, Eureka Seven, Xam\'d: Lost Memories & Fullmetal Alchemist.

Shout out to Planetes, the anime about space debris collectors, reminds me of KSP each time I watch it haha!

You guys like any of those shows? have any other favourites?

Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell are 2 of my favorites! Also Excel Saga and FLCL.

PONIES ARE NOW ON NETFLIX OMG!

:D

FLCL looks/sounds good, I\'ll check it out this weekend.

I stick to seinen, horror, romance, and dark anime.

I know, right? But that\'s how i am.

Anything in particular?

I keep throwing around lots of references that almost nobody noticed/recognised, but it still hasn\'t earned myself a ban ^__^

I\'ve been quite a fan in the last few years, but right now I\'m not following much. It\'s quite a bad moment for the scene (rehashes of rehashes of rehashes) and probably my passion just isn\'t that strong anymore. But I\'ve not yet lost hope to see better stuff in the future ;) After all, the early nineties were a bad phase too, and then in the span of four years we had Evangelion, Trigun, Outlaw Star, S.E.Lain and Bebop...

Right now the only manga I\'m collecting is Vinland Saga, from the author of Planetes... an interesting turn to a more 'shounen' genre from a great writer. Good historical fiction to boot, though you can\'t really call it 'accurate' :D

Trust me, you should read the manga of Planetes: it\'s just four volumes (five in the US, I think) and much better than the TV series in my opinion. For me, the only really good thing in the anime in comparison are the space scenes, which are no doubt cool and very accurate, but the plot and pacing just doesn\'t compare... well, it\'s not bad, but it\'s the usual Taniguchi Goro formula, and diluted for 26 episodes.

Planetes, the anime about space debris collectors, reminds me of KSP each time I watch it haha!

Because you haven\'t seen Rocket Girls or Stratos 4 :D

(Stratos is better, easy and harmless fun with lots of cool planes; Rocket Girls is the most Kerbal, but maybe too moe-moe...)

I\'m on-and-off watching Noein at the moment, still don\'t have a real opinion of it...

Ghost in the Shell

Stand Alone Complex, or the movie? I\'ve never decided to start with SAC, even though it\'s so praised... don\'t really know why, an instinctive feeling.

This is the probably complete list of what I\'ve seen, anyway. (Damn, it\'s been abandoned for so long... but some of the 'on hold' stuff I could actually finish. Nice of you, making me remember that.)

I haven\'t seen any anime in about a year, but am definitely a fan of what little I have seen.

Started out with Spice and Wolf, then watched Lucky Star, Elfen Lied (absolutely not overrated), K-ON! and K-ON!!

I\'ve been meaning to watch the 50 minute Black Rock Shooter OVA or something like that after seeing pics on a bunch of techno/trance vids on YT, but haven\'t gotten around to it yet.

Also on the to-watch list: Clannad, High School Of The Dead, Melancholy of Haruyi something, Cowboy Bebop (I\'ve seen a couple episodes) and Death Note.

It all started with Akira and Ghost in the Shell (the movie and manga)

Black magic M-66 (Masamune Shirow\'s Terminator movie)

The Battle Angel Manga

Bubblegum Crisis, Tokyo 2040 (don\'t bother with the others, they suck)

Mind was blown by NGE (the original and both movies)

Samurai X (3 amazing OVAs)

Jin Roh

Lain, Texhnolyze, Hellsing.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (the 2 TV series, solid state society, etc)

Appleseed Appleseed ex machina

Oh god. So many good old Anime. All the new ones suck.

There are propably a couple more animes but here are my favourites:

- Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

- Death Note (first season)

- Gundam 00 (space elevators)

- Code Geass

- Samurai X (I prefer to call it Kenshin)

- Dragonball (big big nostalgia bonus)

...and then in the span of four years we had Evangelion, Trigun, Outlaw Star, S.E.Lain and Bebop

Because you haven\'t seen Rocket Girls or Stratos 4 :D

(Stratos is better, easy and harmless fun with lots of cool planes; Rocket Girls is the most Kerbal, but maybe too moe-moe...)

I\'m on-and-off watching Noein at the moment, still don\'t have a real opinion of it...

Stand Alone Complex, or the movie? I\'ve never decided to start with SAC, even though it\'s so praised... don\'t really know why, an instinctive feeling.

Since you recommended it, I\'m grabbing Outlaw Star as we speak and I\'ve got Rocket Girls downloaded but I haven\'t watched it yet, I\'ll check out Stratos 4 anyway. SAC is a great series :D I\'ll check out your list.

Also on the to-watch list: Clannad, High School Of The Dead, Melancholy of Haruyi something, Cowboy Bebop (I\'ve seen a couple episodes) and Death Note.

I\'ve got Clannad ready to watch and Melancholy has been recommended a few times!

There are propably a couple more animes but here are my favourites:

- Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

- Gundam 00 (space elevators)

- Code Geass

- Dragonball (big big nostalgia bonus)

Brotherhood is amazing, I\'m about 4 episodes into Gundam 00, I\'ve finished Code Geass and it\'s a brilliant series. I\'ve started Dragonball, I\'m around 30 episodes in - good stuff :D

Appleseed Appleseed ex machina.

I love\'d these two, shame more people haven\'t seen them. I hear the director for Ex Machina is doing the new Starship Troopers CGI movie.

I don\'t know anything about anime/manga, but I hear that GitS and FMA are pretty good.

What\'s this, a Lego tachikoma?

Is it normal to want a tachikoma for real?

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/13519

Head over to the Lego Cuusoo site to support the official release of the Tachikoma! :D

If only limited to Japanese animation and manga there are a lots of them(due to the fact that I lives in SE Asia) I watch a lots of those since childhood)

Older ones like

GUNDAM (UC universe based)

PATLABOR

Ghost In the Shell (both the manga and the movie)

Macross (not the crappy Robotech US adoption)

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Just to name a few

Newer ones including but not limited to

Full Metal Panic (Light novel)

Full Metal Alchemist (FA animation and manga)

many more

BTW Anyone watch Space Brothers ?(manga , animation series have just started to air last week)

If you never watch it I highly suggest you to watch it. ;)

Black magic M-66 (Masamune Shirow\'s Terminator movie)

Oh my, there is someone else who has seen M-66 :D :D

It\'s a strange little OAV; the plot isn\'t anything to write home about, the whole concept consists in a few pages of some early Shirow comic, but the direction is outstanding. Some of the scenes (like the one in the elevator) are great pieces of animation.

The Battle Angel Manga

Come on, James Cameron, hurry up with the damn movie... Jessica Alba isn\'t getting any younger...

Mind was blown by NGE (the original and both movies)

You know, I still refuse to watch the End of Eva to this day ^^;

Obviously I know what happens... and I don\'t really want to ruin my memory of Eva, confused ending and all, with something that was written and directed from the darkest pits of depression as a 'screw you' to the audience ::)

Oh god. So many good old Anime. All the new ones suck.

'New' as in '2011-2012', yeah, I agree with you sadly*... But there are some slightly earlier masterpieces you probably missed. Dennou Coil is recommended to everybody, for example.

isakosthrone.jpg

Ph34r this one.

* But I still think a rebound will come ;)

It\'s a strange little OAV; the plot isn\'t anything to write home about, the whole concept consists in a few pages of some early Shirow comic, but the direction is outstanding. Some of the scenes (like the one in the elevator) are great pieces of animation.

Come on, James Cameron, hurry up with the damn movie... Jessica Alba isn\'t getting any younger...

You know, I still refuse to watch the End of Eva to this day ^^;

Obviously I know what happens... and I don\'t really want to ruin my memory of Eva, confused ending and all, with something that was written and directed from the darkest pits of depression as a 'screw you' to the audience ::)

'New' as in '2011-2012', yeah, I agree with you sadly*... But there are some slightly earlier masterpieces you probably missed. Dennou Coil is recommended to everybody, for example.

* But I still think a rebound will come ;)

More like 2010-2011, but I get what you mean

The End of Eva isn\'t all that bad BTW, and for Asuka fan it is a total win =P

Besids the new NGE OAV is due out this year, I watch the last one and it is pretty solid,

Never heard of it before but just looked up Planetes and watched first episode and it\'s awesome! Thank you so much! :)

No problem, I absolutely love the show, have the soundtracks and everything, I even started making some of the ships for KSP. Nothing worth showing yet though :D

I even started making some of the ships for KSP.

I feel the urge to pester Harvester into including a 'Tandem Mirror test installation' building in the tech tree.

To be built only on the Mun, obviously.

Dibs on the Toy Box 2, anyway ;)

The End of Eva isn\'t all that bad BTW, and for Asuka fan it is a total win :P

I don\'t understand what you are saying....

reimari.jpg

:P ^__^

A good way to find new anime is using the highest rated anime listing. I\'ve had plenty of good experiences from that.

Also, cardgame, your avatar has always confused me, first you had that anthro RD (I think?) and that actually made me think you were a girl, and now that you are using Izumi i am still having problems with it, heh.

... okay, what is this again? End of Eva or Planetes?

I personally prefer the manga of PlanetES, but the one thing that I don\'t really like is that the story is depressing from time to time.

That why I like this better, as the overall mood is positive

manga-book-space.jpg

Shirows stated many times that he\'s ashamed of M-66. Arguably, the manga is actually worse then the OVA in this case, as it\'s harder to follow and can never have sense of tension or fear the OVA does.

As far as James Camerons Battle Angel, I have little faith he will do it right. I\'d like to see the whole manga played out from end to end, but that would take way more movies then the American public would ever go for. This means we will get a single movie that will be an amalgam of the whole story, and I know will be missing some of my favorite scenes and characters. He can\'t do worse then the Battle Angel OVA\'s though.

Edit: I just realized I forgot about Dominion Tank Police! I\'d do anything for the puma sisters. =P)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.