[0.25] First Person EVA

Astronomer

bOxO8gP.png

Since the original mod is no longer available for download, by popular demand I have used the source code files provided to make this mod 0.25-ready.

image.php?u=109853&dateline=1396039427&type=profile

All credit goes to FlaccidUnicorn.

tfjEvMZ.png

ENTER EVA CAMERA: Press - and = keys, or by right-clicking on Kerbal and pressing Activate Camera.

LOOK AROUND: Right-Click and drag (view re-centers on release of right mouse button).

ZOOM: Scroll the Mouse Wheel or Numpad + and - keys.

EXIT EVA CAMERA: Press V to change to standard flight cameras.

rhtwrD9.png

The setting EVA_ROTATE_ON_MOVE = False in setting.cfg will allow you to pitch with your mouse and keep that orientation when you use WASD to translate.

Chatterer's breathing sounds (customizable) increase immersion and go well with this mod.

Watch your step.

RB6NZz4.png

SOURCE CODE

LICENSE

GNU Lesser General Public License version 3 (same as the original mod) FlaccidUnicorn took the zoomable camera class from Albert VDS's Mechjeb hullcam fork, applied the tricks he saw used to answer this question in the Unity forums for click-and-drag camera manipulation, adapted Fel's solution for building the Vanguard parachutes into Kerbals on EVA, and benefited greatly from Forum Helper's pro tip that let him compile the project from the command line on Windows.

If FlaccidUnicorn or someone else skilled wants to make an update the mod, I would be happy to pass on the torch to them.

I am not the most qualified person to do so myself to say the least, but no one else seemed interested in maintaining this mod.

I've attempted making a high-res EVA helmet, only to find out that higher resolutions don't work.

Edited by Astronomer
Removed download link.

Does this mod function similarly to Through the Eyes of a Kerbal, as in, the camera retains one axis? or will it, say, if I smack into my station and go tumbling out of control, will the camera follow suit?

Does this mod function similarly to Through the Eyes of a Kerbal, as in, the camera retains one axis? or will it, say, if I smack into my station and go tumbling out of control, will the camera follow suit?

The camera stays fixed to the kerbal's head, always pointing forward. Looking around does not unshackle the camera (or the kerbal's neck).

Honestly, I always thought that Through the Eyes of a Kerbal did it best, because it still had the same shortcut for IVA as flying a ship does (the default C button). Even better, it didn't require HullCamera. If you can emulate that capability, then I'll gladly switch over.

Agreed! That mod also caused the Kerbals head to disappear entirely, whereas this mod simply clips the camera into the head! This causes........ A few issues........ Now if this mod did what was mentioned above..... AND caused the camera to rotate with the kerbal rather than stay on one axis ("up"). I'll be sold!

Hey, I just gave this baby a try and guess what?

[ERR 16:07:47.425] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'EVAFirstPerson': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'HullCamera, Version=1.0.5100.39113, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

File name: 'HullCamera, Version=1.0.5100.39113, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

Before you ask, yes I do have the hullcamera.dll installed.

Not only that but, considering this is the only change I've made to my installation since my last run and I can assure you the errors did not show up last time, when that error showed up I got a whole slew of other errors regarding "System.Reflection" exceptions.

It was fun, really... but it's also not going to fly.

I can't get it to work either.. I'm using the 32 bit client, but with forced OpenGL.. I have both the FirstpersonEVA and the HullcameraVDS in my gamedata folder, but there's no "activate camera" button on the kerbals.. And i've changed the keybindings to "," and "." because my keyboard doesn't have dedicated "=" and "-" buttons, but they don't work either.. Using a stock ksp install..

Any ideas?

I can't get it to work either.. I'm using the 32 bit client, but with forced OpenGL.. I have both the FirstpersonEVA and the HullcameraVDS in my gamedata folder, but there's no "activate camera" button on the kerbals.. And i've changed the keybindings to "," and "." because my keyboard doesn't have dedicated "=" and "-" buttons, but they don't work either.. Using a stock ksp install..

Any ideas?

Please note that both plugins dll's must be placed in the same folder!

It is quite unobvious moment.

I have force open gl as well and its not working. Same issue that LasseG describes to the letter.

Force open gl got astronomer interstellar to run at 1.3 gb for me so its staying ;)

You have to have the Hullcam dll inside of the plugins folder for first person eva. When you do this, you can delete the Hullcam folder and just keep the firstperson eva folder inside the GameData folder.

Ok so I know this is completely random, but I have no idea on how to post screenshots onto this forum... any clue on how to do this Astronomer?

Upload your screenshot to an image website(The best IMO is Imgur.com), and then copy the Image URL by right-clicking the image, and then when posting, click the little tree icon with the black border and paste the url.

Ok so I know this is completely random, but I have no idea on how to post screenshots onto this forum... any clue on how to do this Astronomer?

locate screenshot in screenshots folder, go on image sharing site such as Imgur, upload image to site, copy image URL, press insert image on forum quick reply located on toolbar, past URL in popup, press ok, and Profit$$$

that is how

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.