Wolly Mammoth nature reserve

xenomorph555

Genetic engineering is not the precise science the public think it is, I'd highly recommend a documentary called genetic roulette, it's analogous to throwing a load of DNA in a bucket giving it a stir an hoping for the best.

From what I know of "Genetic Routlette" it's just one of those crazy conspiracy theory movies that seem to have popped up over the past few years. They tend to be sponsored by vested interest groups, in this case most likely large organic food corporations.

A quick Google search reveals the author of the book & director of the movie is a noted anti-GM campaigner who also believes in chemtrails and that humans can fly. Without stepping into a discussion on conspiracy theories, I think that says enough about his credibility to steer clear.

Maybe one day it could be done, but cloning doesn't really work with our current tech, it's not widely talked about but cloning leads to abnormalities in gene expression resulting in carcinogenesis and usually death, even seemingly healthy cloned animals show significant genetic damage.

Genetic engineering is not the precise science the public think it is, I'd highly recommend a documentary called genetic roulette, it's analogous to throwing a load of DNA in a bucket giving it a stir an hoping for the best.

Problems with clones are due to epigenetic problems, not genetic ones, and aren't heritable; that's why people have already spent millions on commercially cloning stud horses and bulls. If he hasn't even got that right, I wouldn't exactly trust the rest of it.

From what I know of "Genetic Routlette" it's just one of those crazy conspiracy theory movies that seem to have popped up over the past few years. They tend to be sponsored by vested interest groups, in this case most likely large organic food corporations.

A quick Google search reveals the author of the book & director of the movie is a noted anti-GM campaigner who also believes in chemtrails and that humans can fly. Without stepping into a discussion on conspiracy theories, I think that says enough about his credibility to steer clear.

The first experiments with GM was the roulette method, its not very effective but worked for bacteria where you could do changes on millions of them in hope that some worked right.

Accuracy has been increased a lot, gene sequencing is also pretty cheap now.

As for human can fly, I hope I hope he is willing to do an high attitude test. Jumping from 5 km give more time to stabilize and gain some speed.

Main problem is to survive the landing.

"Don't play god" is one of the most innane and harmful arguments one could make against science.

That's not really what I was implying. Of course, you will have negative reactions from religious groups for that very reason, but there are more practical concerns related the well-fare of the mammoth itself.

If you did create a mammoth, you're going to have big problems due to it being a social creature. You'll either create the loneliest animal in the world, or you could possibly introduce it to a population of elephants. In which case you'd learn nothing about it's natural behavior because it'd think it's an elephant.

Cloned animals tend to develop lots of problems later in life. Having a mammoth would be pretty cool, but would you really want to own a zoo full of genetically defective animals? The media wouldn't look kindly upon a zoo full of genetically defective animals.

That's not really what I was implying. Of course, you will have negative reactions from religious groups for that very reason, but there are more practical concerns related the well-fare of the mammoth itself.

If you did create a mammoth, you're going to have big problems due to it being a social creature. You'll either create the loneliest animal in the world, or you could possibly introduce it to a population of elephants. In which case you'd learn nothing about it's natural behavior because it'd think it's an elephant.

Cloned animals tend to develop lots of problems later in life. Having a mammoth would be pretty cool, but would you really want to own a zoo full of genetically defective animals? The media wouldn't look kindly upon a zoo full of genetically defective animals.

Who said zoo, the place I imagine in my mind would be a non public nature reserve. As for social, you could create multiple mammoths.

Mammoths are cool and why not do it.

Only reason why not is cost and that you could do other stuff instead.

I can not see any ethical issues, that is unless you will need hundreds of tries to get it right but in that case the cost would make it impossible anyway.

Some of the cost is derived from ethical science. Will there be a home for it? Can it be released into the wild and have a chance to survive? Will there be enough money to conserve the area where it will reside? These are all ethical issues when you are talking about releasing such a creature into the wild. Now, if they don't release it and it is studied in a closed area then that is a whole other set of ethical issues.

Who said zoo, the place I imagine in my mind would be a non public nature reserve. As for social, you could create multiple mammoths.

You would introduce an extinct mammal into a nature reserve? The ramifications of releasing such a creature into a possibly stable ecosystem could be devastating to other species. This would definitely not happen in the United States. I could see this happening in Russia if that is your idea.

You would introduce an extinct mammal into a nature reserve? The ramifications of releasing such a creature into a possibly stable ecosystem could be devastating to other species. This would definitely not happen in the United States. I could see this happening in Russia if that is your idea.

I don't mean any reserve, nono.

I mean a specially constructed reserve tailored for Mammoths, and yes it would be in Siberia not the U.S.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.