[0.25][WIP] MovieTime v0.1 (Nov 30) - Olde Timey Movie and TV Effects

bernierm

(I've since released this in the 'Add-on Releases' thread)

So some time ago, whilst recreating an Apollo mission, I thought to myself "why can't I be viewing this on the same crappy black and white TV that everyone watched the original missions on?" Ah, the nostalgia. Anyway, now you can. Oh, and there's night vision, too.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

You can't tell from the stills, but the effects are animated. The film jitters, the scratches roll and the TV static, uh, statics.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pt48kl5h6txdj3/MovieTime%20v0.2.zip?dl=0

Source: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjzvntyhdb65s30/MovieTime%20Source%20v0.2.zip?dl=0

Installation:

Unzip the contents of the .zip file into KSP's GameData directory.

Possibly further down the road:

* A thermal camera mode that can be used in conjunction with Deadly Reentry.

* A JJ Abrams camera mode. Lens flares for everyone!

Supported Platforms:

* Windows 32-bit.

* Windows 64-bit. Haven't tested, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

* Mac. Haven't tested, no idea.

* Linux. Haven't tested, no idea.

Issues:

* None so far...

Version History:

v0.2 (Dec 14 2014):

* All settings are now saved/loaded to a "MovieTime.xml" file.

* Memory leak has been fixed.

* Improved TV imagery.

* Added v-hold roll effect to TV modes.

v0.1 (Nov 30 2014):

* Initial release

License

CC 4.0 Share Alike Non-Commercial Attribution

Enjoy!

Edited by bernierm

Well, I switched between the options a few times and what appears to be a red question mark of sorts appeared on some options, and on the sepia it repeatedly moved upwards. The log said the game ran out of memory.

EDIT: Yeah, it seems it managed to use enough memory to kill the game, which is odd because the game only rashed I tried to return to the space center screen.

EDIT2: It seems that this happens if you switch through the settings too many times.

Edited by mike9606

May I ask how this works? I notice the hud is not affected by the screen effects so it can't be a post processing injector right? Would it be possible to do effects like bloom with this method?

Actually, it is using a post-processing injector, but the 'main' camera rather than the final screen output.

It finds the 'main' camera object, which is the main scene, I'm guessing there are other cameras that are used for the HUD controls, but I didn't look hard for them. I didn't want to mess with the HUD controls, so it was a fortunate accident. See the Start() method in MovieTime.cs and OnRenderImage() in MovieTimeFilter.cs.

If you would like a bloom that is be object-specific (ie, say an engine exhaust)... It is the reason why I haven't figured out how to do a thermal camera.

However, my latest idea has been to alter each part's texture to reflect the part's temperature (using a solid-color texture and color ramp), and then use a shader to blur the rendered image. However, I can't figure out how to override a part's texture without overriding all instances of that part (which is what I think TextureReplacer and Firesplitter do). I thought part highlighting might work (ala DangIt), but the highlighting is semi-transparent, too much of the part's original texture bled through. I see a new plug-in call TheWriteStuff, which might have a solution.

Well, I switched between the options a few times and what appears to be a red question mark of sorts appeared on some options, and on the sepia it repeatedly moved upwards. The log said the game ran out of memory.

EDIT: Yeah, it seems it managed to use enough memory to kill the game, which is odd because the game only rashed I tried to return to the space center screen.

EDIT2: It seems that this happens if you switch through the settings too many times.

A little calamine lotion may help with that rash...

How many times did you need to switch modes before it blew up? Since I'm not releasing the loaded shaders and textures, I've probably got a massive memory leak. I'll check into it.

A little calamine lotion may help with that rash...

How many times did you need to switch modes before it blew up? Since I'm not releasing the loaded shaders and textures, I've probably got a massive memory leak. I'll check into it.

I actually had a crash not using it with a plane using Nertea's MkIV spaceplane parts. I will record how many times it takes if it happens without those parts though.

Well, going from sepia to film to black and white film and back repeatedly (Including first activating it, starting with sepia) it happened after 9 times, but since I freed up some memory it did not actually crash. Going back to space center and returning to the craft, the red mark will still be there. If you switch to normal mode and back to what you had before fixes it though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.