Official Orion Launch Thread - 12-4-14

Tux

I think Russians and some other space agencies use km though. Americans are used to nautical miles and not very used to metric system, so that's why they use nm usually.

American actually normally uses Statute mile. Nautical miles were only used for navigating over the sea, mostly by the navy, and as I learned just now when searching its relation to NASA, apparently for aviation too. I just have no idea why they still keep using the traditional unit until now.

American actually normally uses Statute mile. Nautical miles were only used for navigating over the sea, mostly by the navy, and as I learned just now when searching its relation to NASA, apparently for aviation too. I just have no idea why they still keep using the traditional unit until now.

Nautical Miles work well with the co-ordinate system (about 60 nautical miles in a lateral degree and 21600 nm as the diameter of the equator) and are thus best for navigation for nautical/aeronautical purposes I think they are also a metric unit

Edited by Ace932
Equator fail

Yes, I forgot to say they use nautical mile for sailing and flying but statute mile for land. Actually in many countries nautical miles are used for flight (only for distance) and feet are used for height of the aircraft. Feet is not enough for spacecraft i guess so they use nm instead :)

Their ascent curve seems a little bit sub optimal, since the craft loses altitude a bit during the first orbital boost.

Sub-optimal for establishing a nice circular orbit perhaps, but the intent here is to re-enter the atmo- no point in raising the Periapsis more than required to avoid accidental re-entry on the first lap.

Aviation and shipping still use it as has a meningful relationship with lat/long 1nm = 1arc minute of latitude. OK precise values vary depending on the spheroid model of the earth you use but for dead reckoning navigation its a very useful relationship.

BTW caught this few minutes ago. Gulf of Mexico.

http://s3.postimg.org/g4et4cqeb/orion_mexicogulf.png

I like how this image seems familiar, the images from orbit at this altitude reminds me of what we see in low orbit around little Kerbin.

I'm going to sleep now, keep grabbing screenies, that would be nice for us who are on the currently dark side of the planet, we will appreciate it.

Aviation and shipping still use it as has a meningful relationship with lat/long 1nm = 1arc minute of latitude. OK precise values vary depending on the spheroid model of the earth you use but for dead reckoning navigation its a very useful relationship.

That makes sense. So it is sort of meaningful. One nautical mile is 1852 metres apparently, for those reading the thread.

Edited by Tw1

What is the SECO2 stand for? Was wondering about that.

Second engine cut out 2.

I like how this image seems familiar, the images from orbit at this altitude reminds me of what we see in low orbit around little Kerbin.

I'm going to sleep now, keep grabing screenies, that would be nice for us who are on the currently dark side of the planet will appreciate it.

Yes, Kerbin is so tiny. :)

Don't worry, I'll keep posting images.

They just mentioned that the orion capsule will be experiencing about 8.2 G's during its high-speed reentry, compared to about 4 for the Soyuz upon return from the ISS. I can't imagine what that would feel like. :confused:

"Funny, the meter on my capsule tops out at 15Gs... not sure how many I've experienced," Jeb.

They just mentioned that the orion capsule will be experiencing about 8.2 G's during its high-speed reentry, compared to about 4 for the Soyuz upon return from the ISS. I can't imagine what that would feel like. :confused:

Soyuz has hit that due to issues during re-entry, most recently TMA-11.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.