Official Orion Launch Thread - 12-4-14

Tux

Did the "heatshield engineer" just say that friction causes the heat build up.

Nervous engineering monkeys in front of imposing cameras I guess. Things tend to slip :P

Or she's just working on the materials and gets her numbers from the aerodynamics guys. It doesn't really matter where the heat comes from in the end.

Did the "heatshield engineer" just say that friction causes the heat build up.

Did he just say a beauty heatshield engineer just say that "friction" causes the "heat" build up. Because that's what i thought. LOL

Edited by Beduino

They're going for a negative perigee because they want to simulate reentry from high up. It's a compromise.

I do this if I want to quickly test a heatshield without having to go really high. You get more heating from a set Ap.

The main thing I notice is the screens and screens of data readouts, something sorely missing from the stock game.

Does NASA not believe in braking orbits? Curious why they keep saying they have to simulate extreme re-entry speeds... In KSP, I just use the upper atmosphere to slow down.

I think one of the problems with that is if you get it wrong you stand a chance of being flung back out into a wide orbit or if you go too low then you burn up. So its a narrow margin of error.

(but I'm sure someone else here can give you a better answer!)

In KSP, I just use the upper atmosphere to slow down.

Because real life isn't KSP? Heat shield integrity under repeated cycles and the endurance of the capsule's life support system after separation from the service module (among others) are important factors that limit their options.

Does NASA not believe in braking orbits? Curious why they keep saying they have to simulate extreme re-entry speeds... In KSP, I just use the upper atmosphere to slow down.
Because the Orion capsule is intended to return from the Moon or even Mars, which will mean hitting the atmosphere much faster than a routine LEO deorbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.