Official Orion Launch Thread - 12-4-14

Tux

oh well. I might actually get some work done now!

Do we know when they are going to try again? did I hear something about a 24 re-cycle? does that mean they're trying again tomorrow or is that for more testing?

Yep, they're trying tomorrow. Best of luck to the team getting this thing off the second time around!

Yes, 24hr launch reset: new launch set for 7:05am EST 12/5/14...I believe the launch window for tomorrow will also be till 9:44am

from what I gathered, they scrubbed due to not wanting to drain the batteries in some onboard cameras, on the chance that final launch did not happen, due to not being certain 100% that the earlier issue would not cause another scrub. :)

Edited by Stone Blue

That's what I presumed, but why is the insulation made like that? Wouldn't that be dangerous for its integrity? Remember foam damage on the Shuttle.

Who cares? It's not going to strike anything if falls off.

The insulation is there to prevent boil-off while on the pad. Once you've launched, it doesn't serve much purpose.

Scrub due to CBC fill/drain valves not closing correctly on the center booster, and daylight constraints in the recovery area. My guess is with the longer checkout times for Orion some ice built up in the valves. The launch window is tied to the daylight time in the recovery area.

Edited by bjbeardse

That's what I presumed, but why is the insulation made like that? Wouldn't that be dangerous for its integrity? Remember foam damage on the Shuttle.

it's not shedding onto anything delicate like with ET foam hitting the TPS on the Shuttle orbiter.

The design with the single thin booster? That was scratched.

Aries I. It was a 5 segment SRB with an upper stage derived from the shuttle ET using a J-2X engine. It was cancelled along with the Aries V when Obama got elected. So now we get a more expensive SLS vehicle...

Ares I was a poor excuse for a rocket. There, I said it.

I kinda liked its simple design, but it didn't have the best payload capability and the Orion team was having to shave off weight on everything they could to be able to launch on it.

I kinda liked the whole mission concept. Ares V and Altair seemed like good ideas, and EOR for a moon mission looks like the best option to me. It seems loke all they had to do was design a better first stage for the Ares I and they could go into manufacturing.

But they decided to cancel the entire damn thing and do what was basically a painted Ares V. :( Even the original apollo astronauts like Buzz or Collins spoke against that decision, and the Mars Direct fellows couldn't believe it. What I'm happy for is the SLS Block II. 130t to LKO is nothing to laugh about, and if congress finally give it a go, we could be on the moon in the 20s.

Yes. Usually using mechjeb. Testing staging and so on. Let's me crash and not loose kerbals or cheat/revert.

The shuttle being crewed from flight 1 was an oddity historically speaking.

...and that was very nearly a disaster. The lack of a water suppression system literally almost destroyed the rocket at launch, and a number of really important heat shield tiles fell off. You can see the missing tiles by the Orbiter's nose and rear engines, here. (They're the little black or orange-ish holes on the white background.)

STS-1_Columbia_Cargo_Bay.jpg

sts-1.jpg

This was really dangerous, and NASA decided that flying things untested really was a better idea after all.

(Interestingly, if the Mercury craft had been manned from the start, there would have likely been at least one death and possibly more. There were a number of tests that failed, including one Atlas launch vehicle that "collapsed and exploded.")

I launched an unmanned capsule to space in KSP, though it was to grab a Kerbal for a contract :wink:

Edited by UpsilonAerospace
Adding another picture!

Annnnd it's scrubbed.

The launch of Orion’s flight test has been scrubbed for today because of an issue related to fill and drain valves on the Delta IV Heavy rocket that teams could not troubleshoot by the time the launch window expired. The next launch window opens at 7:05 a.m. Eastern on Friday, Dec. 5. A post-scrub briefing is targeted for noon EST today at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida and will be carried live on NASA Television.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.