Project Mercury

NERVAfan

I decided to make a Mercury Redstone and fly an Alan Shepard-style suborbital mission.

The stock launch escape tower is horribly oversized for a Mk1 pod, so I tried to imitate it with 2 sepratrons on a stack of Cubic Octagonal Struts (with a tiny-size decoupler to jettison it). However, when I tested this, the capsule blocked the thrust. So I attached the sepratrons to the capsule itself and kept the strut tower just for looks.

The rocket itself is made of 1 FL-T800, 1 FL-T400, and 1 FL-T200 with an LV-T30. The stock fins are way too big, proportionally, so I used Small Hardpoints to imitate the Redstone fins.

Miteny Kerman was assigned to fly this mission.

Here it is launching:

uRsuMFw.png

And the capsule reentering in flames after a brief trip to space:

yw2wnMw.png

And a safe recovery:

pfYnYzl.png

Next step: the Mercury Atlas.

This is a weird rocket, and by trying to match the functionality, I ended up with something that looked quite different. The Atlas rocket used didn't stage, but it had 3 engines, 2 of which were dropped off during flight - this is probably the closest thing to an SSTO that's ever flown to orbit.

Trying to build this in KSP, I couldn't get fuel to flow through a decoupler, so I had to attach a tiny Oscar-B fuel tank to each of the side engines and use a fuel line to feed fuel from the main tank.

Similarly, I couldn't use a tricoupler, since that would make its thrust off-center with only one engine. So this rocket has 3 "cores" even though the real Mercury-Atlas rocket only had one.

Podlo Kerman was assigned to fly this mission. Here it is launching:

eM7AvMg.png

Here it is after engine separation:

LnYmXbc.png

And here's the stable orbit:

DtxLr7h.png

And firing retrorockets for reentry (these are actually the same separatrons I used to represent the launch escape system):

MskP6Xg.png

The capsule then parachuted to a safe landing and was recovered.

Ah, thank you. I figured there should be a way to do that but I could only turn them 90 degrees with Q/E/W/S etc. keys. How do you angle them just a little bit?

Hold down the Shift key while using the rotation keys (Q,E,W,S,A,D) to rotate in 5-degree steps instead of 90-degree steps.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm WAAAAY late to the party here- but I'll leave this here anyway-

Mind if I post my own Mercury Redstone+Atlas? I don't mean to brag or anything honestly- but rather to compare and give constructive criticism since I know making a replica of anything is difficult in KSP...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.