Science Orbiters

I like to build a Science Orbiter that uses a processing lab and a bevy of other instruments to send out for orbiting for each of the worlds and moons. I have tried two different designs, but I'm not sure if either of them is optimal.

1. The first design uses a probe core to command the ship and I put 2 Kerbals inside the processing lab. This has the advantage of only using 2 crew members, but I cannot do crew reports.

2. The second design uses a Mk1 Command pod to drive the ship leading to 3 Kerbals on board in total. I have full access to all reports and the only real disadvantage is I need 3 Kerbals instead of 2.

I had really hoped that I could send up a pilot and one scientist and then once in orbit just shift the pilot back and forth between the processing lab and the command pod in order to do crew reports and use instruments and transmit data. I was hoping to be efficient with only 2 Kerbals on board and have full access to crew reports, but unfortunately this didn't work. When both Kerbals are in the lab, it does not function because apparently the lab cannot function without someone also in the command pod.

Is there a way I could make this work with a lab, only 2 Kerbals and still get crew reports and full functionality (and also just stock game)? It's not a huge problem to send 3 Kerbals instead of 2, it's more a of a preference for me, I was really hoping for just a 2-man crew.

Edited by Kelderek
answered

Combine the 2 designs. Use both a probe core and the mk1 pod. Send up 2 kerbals. When they're both in the processing lab, the probe core will allow for full control of the vessel. When one's in the processing module, you can do crew reports. You'll need to EVA the kerbal between the pod and the module.

Combine the 2 designs. Use both a probe core and the mk1 pod. Send up 2 kerbals. When they're both in the processing lab, the probe core will allow for full control of the vessel. When one's in the processing module, you can do crew reports. You'll need to EVA the kerbal between the pod and the module.

You can do internal crew transfers now without EVA. Left click on the hatch of whichever part the crew are in, and you'll get a menu.

(shameless plug)you may want to have a look at this(/shameles plug)

When both Kerbals are in the lab, it does not function because apparently the lab cannot function without someone also in the command pod.

The craft needs to be "controlled" in order for the lab (or anything) to work. That means either a manned pod, or a probe core.

Incidentally, the pod doesn't need to be manned. An empty pod can still generate crew reports (but again, you need a probe core or another manned pod for it to work).

I think that the issue here is that your ship has no crewed command parts. If you have just a pod and a lab, and no kerbal in the pod, your ship will be uncontrollable. The solution is to use a probe core in addition to the pod.

edit: ninja'd

I had wondered in the back of my mind if I could use both manned and unmanned command parts together, so it's nice to know that works. Will the game automatically switch between the two command parts or do I need to make a switch manually somehow?

@Laie I love that MIRV design, I'm going to head to the VAB now and try something similar (and less complex to start off), I think that will be fun.

I had wondered in the back of my mind if I could use both manned and unmanned command parts together, so it's nice to know that works. Will the game automatically switch between the two command parts or do I need to make a switch manually somehow?

Naw, the craft will switch control to wherever it needs to switch control automatically. I've got a ship that incorporates six Mk1 Lander cans and one of the small RGUs; while the crew is off galavanting around the surface of Duna, the command module remains controllable thanks to the probe core.

Something related to what it looks like you're doing, and which you might be interested in, is Geschosskopf's MISSION PLANNING AND SHIP DESIGN FOR SCIENCE! Tutorial. It's not old enough to be obsolete and an effective way of collecting oodles of science all at once.

Well I did know that it worked when docking two vessels, but it hadn't really occurred to me to have two command parts on one vessel with no way to separate them -- it had only made sense to me for situations where you needed to join or split multiple vessels with docking ports.

Thanks for the help everyone!

MIRV? Ooops, something went wrong.

A little down the page there's a few lab-landers. Now I know you're not interested in landing your lab anywhere (though that may change), but they're also interesting under the aspect of convenience / ease of use. Craft files are available for download and close inspection. The whole thread is interesting for science-gatherers, but of course I think my own entries are the bestestest.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100849-Biome-Hopper-Challenge?p=1570659&viewfull=1#post1570659

MIRV? Ooops, something went wrong.

A little down the page there's a few lab-landers. Now I know you're not interested in landing your lab anywhere (though that may change), but they're also interesting under the aspect of convenience / ease of use. Craft files are available for download and close inspection. The whole thread is interesting for science-gatherers, but of course I think my own entries are the bestestest.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100849-Biome-Hopper-Challenge?p=1570659&viewfull=1#post1570659

Those are all fascinating designs. I loaded them up into my career and even tried to fly one of them. I'm afraid that it's a complexity level way beyond where I am now, but it was useful for me to see new concepts. I'm assuming that you need to use control groups to do your undocking from the sky cranes because it looks like you use multiple docking ports on some of those. I only just got this game after Thanksgiving weekend, lol, so I am still trying to learn and there are so many things that I look forward to. Thus far I have sent science orbiters to Moho, Eve, Gilly, Duna, Ike, Jool, Tylo, Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus. I have sent landers down to the Mun, Minmus, Eve, Duna, Ike, and I even did an EVA landing on Gilly which was fun. All of these so far have been one-way trips except for one or two successful round trips to the Mun and Minmus surfaces.

This is my second career in my short time with the game. I decided to restart for a new career after I unlocked all the technologies way too fast in the first career (normal difficulty) mostly because of the strategies. I found those strategies to be highly unbalanced and I felt that it ruined my career experience if there was no need to explore to gain science. So I started up a new career on moderate difficulty and am not using strategies at all. Funds come easy with contracts, but the science I have to work for which I like. This is all just for learning the game right now and I plan to restart my career again when 0.90 hits.

Nope. You can take EVA reports, however. And as the Kerbals are still part of the vessel, you can transmit them immediately. Probably the safest way of getting EVA reports while flying in an atmosphere.

Those are all fascinating designs. I loaded them up into my career and even tried to fly one of them. I'm afraid that it's a complexity level way beyond where I am now, but it was useful for me to see new concepts. I'm assuming that you need to use control groups to do your undocking from the sky cranes because it looks like you use multiple docking ports on some of those.

The "Sky Cranes" are landing helpers -- meant to stay behind in LKO and being docked with when you come back. The parachutes slow them down enough so that a powered landing doesn't need much skill or fuel. The whole assembly is supposed to go up on top of an ordinary rocket.

The docking ports (if there are several) can be unbuttonend one after the other.

Edited by Laie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.