[0.17] Multiversal Mechatronics - Munolith Research Division - 1.3

r4m0n

You\'re forgetting about two things:

1. Relativistic time dilation. The faster you go relative to an observer, the slower the observer sees time passing for you, and vice versa. So an observer seeing an event occur that normally lasts onlyh 0.000002 seconds can see it taking much longer, if it is moving very very close to the speed of light relative to him. Relativistic Length Contraction, and the inviolate speed of light make it self-consistent, and the equations basically fall out nothing more complicated than algebra.

2. A half-life isn\'t a determinate lifespan. It\'s a statement of probability. An event with a half-life of 0.000002 seconds has a 50% chance of occurring before 0.000002 seconds have gone by, a 75% chance of occurring before 0.000004 seconds have gone by, and so on. It is possible, though ridiculously unlikely, that a muon could sit around for 12 billion years without decaying.

Your first point is untrue, because the lifespan of a muon is measured by the observer (0.000002 seconds as has been stated). In your reasoning you\'ve transposed it onto the muon itself and used it as the absolute lifespan. The absolute lifespan of the muon is in reality several magnitudes shorter.

Isn\'t there a better way to do the detection?

I feel like Im on a ww1 sub blindly pinging..

Think about it, zekes. What would be the fun in finding the mun-oliths/arches in an easy way? Part of the fun is that it\'s hard to find them, because if you DO find them you will have achieved something. An instrument with a needle pointing towards the muon-source is quite easy but would reduce the fun of it quite significantly.

Your first point is untrue, because the lifespan of a muon is measured by the observer (0.000002 seconds as has been stated). In your reasoning you\'ve transposed it onto the muon itself and used it as the absolute lifespan. The absolute lifespan of the muon is in reality several magnitudes shorter.

2.2 microseconds is the mean lifespan of a muon at rest relative to the observer.

Cosmic ray produced muons are one of the standard examples of relativistic time dilation in action; When moving at 98% of the speed of light relative to the observer, the observer measures the mean lifetime at five times longer.

2.2 microseconds is the mean lifespan of a muon at rest relative to the observer.

Cosmic ray produced muons are one of the standard examples of relativistic time dilation in action; When moving at 98% of the speed of light relative to the observer, the observer measures the mean lifetime at five times longer.

Woops! :-[ I falsely assumed the 2.2 microseconds was NOT at rest. Next time i\'ll Google before i open my big mouth again.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A question I have about these "Munoliths" is are there locations and numbers hard-coded into the game or are they randomly generated for each new persistent.sfs file?

Personally, aside from the one near KSC, I'd prefer that they weren't always in the same places.

A question I have about these "Munoliths" is are there locations and numbers hard-coded into the game or are they randomly generated for each new persistent.sfs file?

Personally, aside from the one near KSC, I'd prefer that they weren't always in the same places.

The Munoliths aren't part of this mod; they're part of the stock game. This just helps you find them.

• 2 weeks later...
These don't seem to work for artifacts on the new planets. Any chance of an update ?

It wasn't made to detect anything else than the munoliths, and I'll consider the arches an added bonus. I'll see if I can convince Nova or Mu to add a few munoliths in other planets, but I don't think it fits with the "lore" of the detector to detect any of the new easter eggs.

• 2 weeks later...
But I\'d still like to find a formula for orbital period, to determine the proper altitude target.

If you make it a circular orbit, the length travelled is (2*pi*r). If you divide by your orbital velocity, that should give you time taken.

• 2 years later...

Does it work for 0.90.0, or is it too old for it. If it is too old, please make a smaller newer version that can detect anomalies from the ground to 1000kms.

hanks, also PM me for the answer.

Astrofox