CP-1 Custom Command Pod (DIY Sim Pit)

ThereIs0nly0ne

Currently finishing the headrest sections:

Pieces:

AngledBits_zpsl2th1kn3.jpg

Gluing in progress. Once set, I'll use some epoxy and additional internal braces to keep it nice and sturdy:

Headshell2_zpsdluk8fsy.jpg

HeadShell1_zpsou9msyr8.jpg

I'm happy to update this thread with all the detail as the build progresses. If anyone's interested - let me know ...

Anything like this is a bit ambitious for me (at least currently -- since I have no space for such an amazing piece of furniture) --

However, I would love to continue to see progress :)

Definitely useful when considering the way people do things when conducting my own projects.

Amazing job! Keep up the awesome work! :D

Thanks very much Sputnix, your comments are appreciated :) Much of the build has already been completed but there's still plenty to share in terms of approach, techniques and finishing so hopefully there will be some additional useful information for people to use.

If anyone wants to know how any existing part of this was done, I'd be happy to share.

Preparing for painting / finishing. This step takes a long time. Slap the body filler on and sand back to seal the MDF edges and make them nice and smooth:

Prep1_zpsoiwhijyi.jpg

Prep3_zpsraqlvepv.jpg

Prep6_zpstahogag3.jpg

It'll still require more filling after I find the defects after applying the primer.

STOP!!!!! I have noticed a glaring omission from your CP1 seat... its going to kill the whole project if you cannot rectify it...

Actually... TWO glaring omissions... this is end of the world stuff...

1) Where is the attached bar fridge to hold Kerbal snacks and Hydrazine liquid?

2) Where is the hole in the seat for the porta potty....

WHY? Cos if you let me sit down on that to play KSP... there is NO WAY I'm ever going to get off! :)

(probably explains why you left those items out then... you don't want a Kiwi sitting in that seat for the next 10 years....)

:)

Awesome work, I love it. You really could make money making sets for TV and movies. :)

This is seriously cool dude, like i really wish i could do this rn, loving how youre doing it, keeps me on edge waiting for the next update

Edited by Vagani

• 1 month later...
Beautiful work!...

Any idea on total weight when done?

Thank you and not sure other than mightily heavy!

Blimey, that is just AWESOME work! Well done!

Thank you. It will be once complete :) Promised my very accommodating wife I'd sort out some domestic jobs first but want to get back on this again shortly.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.