Atlas V launch in fifteen minutes

Kryten

is this a polar orbit launch? Should i look at the window? I'm only 2 hours out of vandenburg...30 seconds to respond :P

Edit: I saw it for a split second before it went behind clouds..we're getting some rain here for once but it's blocking my view :(

Edited by How2FoldSoup

is this a polar orbit launch? Should i look at the window? I'm only 2 hours out of vandenburg...30 seconds to respond :P

Edit: I saw it for a split second before it went behind clouds..we're getting some rain here for once but it's blocking my view :(

Molniya orbit, 1,000*38,000km about 64 degrees inclination. Assuming it is a TRUMPET, anyway.

I forgot about the launch, so I only had 4 minutes to get dressed find my camera and run outside.

I'm hoping to get a picture of one of the Dragon capsules the next time they pull one out of the water.

They use a local small commercial fishing pier to unload it and I should be able to get close.

I noticed during the launch that the rocket was said to do a solar roll. (If I heard right.) The launch was at night and there is no obvious clue from the video to explain exact what that is. I have done some google foo, but I have been unable to find the answer.

I would guess that it has to do with satellite orientation for the solar panels. But then why turn the rocket instead of mounting the satellite already in the correct orientation?

Anyone know what the deal is?

I noticed during the launch that the rocket was said to do a solar roll. (If I heard right.) The launch was at night and there is no obvious clue from the video to explain exact what that is. I have done some google foo, but I have been unable to find the answer.

I would guess that it has to do with satellite orientation for the solar panels. But then why turn the rocket instead of mounting the satellite already in the correct orientation?

Anyone know what the deal is?

Disclaimer: I have no idea about this either, but I have a nagging suspicion that may turn out to be right.

When the Delta IV Heavy carrying the Orion spacecraft launched, there was mention of a very slow roll, that kept all parts of the spacecraft at close to the same temperature. If this was not implemented, one side of the rocket would heat up very quickly because of its facing the sun; the other side would become very cold as it gradually radiated its heat into the ionosphere. This could cause problems in the long run, including having the rocket fail due to misalignments caused by one side expanding a little as it heats, and the other side contracting a little as it cools. Keeping the spacecraft at the same temperature by rolling it (like a piece of meat on a rotisserie) prevents these problems from cropping up, and thus is a good idea.

Again, not sure if this is the case. Just offering my $0.02...

SLR Synopsis:

"The most powerful Atlas 5 to fly from Vandenberg AFB, a 541 model with four solid rocket motors and a five meter diameter payload fairing, launched the classified National Reconnaissance Office NROL-35 mission on December 13, 2014. The 522 tonne rocket lifted off from Space Launch Complex 3 East at 03:19 UTC and quickly flew into a news blackout.

Analysts expected the launch to orbit a payload bound for an elliptical 12-hour Molniya type orbit. Potential payloads included communications or signals intelligence satellites. The use of an Atlas 541 indicated that the satellite would likely be heavier than any previously launched by the U.S. to a Molniya orbit. A previous launch of a "Trumpet"-type sigint to 1,120 x 37,600 km x 63.56 deg Molniya orbit used a less-capable Atlas 5-411 with only one strap-on solid motor.

The AV-051 Atlas was the first equipped with an RL10C-1 Centaur engine. The Aerojet-Rocketdyne powerplant was a modified RL10B-2 that came from excess stock from the Delta 4 program. To make the conversion, the bottom two extendible nozzle sections of the RL10B-2 were removed and an improved dual direct spark igniter was installed. The engine produced 10.383 tonnes of thrust, a slight improvement from 10.115 tonnes of thrust produced by the previous RL10A-4-2 Centaur engine.

It was the 455th RL10 launched. The engines have flown for 50 years on seven different launch vehicle types, including Saturn I, Atlas Centaur, Atlas 3, Atlas 5, Titan 3E, Titan 4A/B, and Delta 3.

AV-051 was ninth Atlas 5 of the year, a record for Atlas 5. It was also the third Atlas 5 of the year to fly from VAFB."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.