Project ''SpaceLab'' - C7 Aerospace Division

AdmiralAdama

Hey everyone!

So recently I have been expirimenting a bit. My question to investigate was as follows;

Why need several launches for a space station?

So I started the SpaceLab programm. Its quite easy to understand; why not a rocket and space station in one?

I started out with SpaceLab One. SL1 however was a catastrophic failure, sending the crew into the depths of space due to a calculation error and missing the orbit window.

After the failure of SpaceLab One, construction of Space Lab Mk2 was commencing. Space Lab two however had a small flaw; no return.

Therefor SpaceLab Two was forced to crashland, in hope to spare the onboard crew. The landing failed.

After the two failures, C7 Aerospace Division saw no longer a future in the programm, untill a scientist came with the idea;

Why not add an escape module if things go wrong?

Space Lab Three construction commenced. The launch was succesfull, and only using ONE missle. C7AD managed to gain some photos of the progress so far..

A clear shot of Space Lab Three; Rescue Pod on top with landing gear and boosters.

r88rvt.png

A shot of SL3 while in orbit, in its furtherst distance away from Kerbin (ovale orbit)

2edupvn.png

​The SpaceLab programm is believed to be the key for interstellar travel.

Why need several launches for a space station?

Space Lab two however had a small flaw; no return. Therefor SpaceLab Two was forced to crashland, in hope to spare the onboard crew. The landing failed.

The launch was succesfull, and only using ONE missle.

The possible directions you could take this in depend on what you intend to use stations for.

You could make a permanent station with one or more docking ports so the crew can visit it and then return home. Alternatively, you could make a re-useable ship that hauls the crew and lab up from the surface for each mission.

I built a number of stations for fun in Sandbox so I could practice sending crews to rendezvous and dock with them.

The possible directions you could take this in depend on what you intend to use stations for.

You could make a permanent station with one or more docking ports so the crew can visit it and then return home. Alternatively, you could make a re-useable ship that hauls the crew and lab up from the surface for each mission.

I built a number of stations for fun in Sandbox so I could practice sending crews to rendezvous and dock with them.

That sounds like a lot of the pre-ISS Space Shuttle missions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.