[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

1. Metadata situation sorted out. A change in how netkan built metadata meant that newer versions of RSS and RO were being hidden. That situation is now solved (by brute force from me, and actual fixing from pjf).

2. In real life, the sustainer is lit when the booster is. I suggest you do the same. Place both engines in your first stage (along with the launch clamp(s)), then the booster decoupler, then anything else. Use MechJeb's autostage functionality to automatically decouple the booster as soon as it burns out. There you go.

Here's a craft file to demonstrate. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8v5hvx2zs488zjo/WAC%20no%20PF.craft?dl=0

This is because the booster provides a tremendous jump in acceleration, and then it burns out and drag provides a very strong deceleration, destabilizing your tanks.

3. Contracts unlock based on what you've done. Once you reach the Karman line, the orbit contract opens up. As the RP-0 release notes say, it is possible to get into orbit from the start node alone, it's just very hard. ^_^

I assume you're asking about the change to the Preset for KCT? If you've got RP-0 version 35 then it's already fixed. Otherwise you just overwrite the contents of the file with the one I posted. You'll know it's working if when you open the KCT upgrades window you have the option to buy upgrades with funds for 10000 (I think it was that much). With the defaults it will be 16,000 and you'll also have the option of buying points with science. If you see those options, then it's still messed up. You do have to make sure you've selected the correct Preset.

The default settings should not be used with RP-0. The timescales and general balance is totally different, and the way you play is actually substantially changed from the defaults. Just make sure to select the RP-0 Preset and you'll be good to go. If it gets tweaked later it should automatically update to the new settings without you having to reselect it :)

There is a problem with fairings where when I put them they seem to cost -numbers as shown here: http://imgur.com/a/buy81 the same rocket with fairings on and fairings off. It affects the actual game as when I launch I gain money and when I recover I lose money. It seems to affect all fairings that you start with not sure about any others.

I am using the latest version of both KSP, Realism overhaul and RP-0 (1.0.4, 10.2, 0.35) as well as all recommended mods for Realism Overhaul, KAS and Infernal Robotics

Also is the tree supposed to contain the Interstellar nodes like Nuclear Fusion. I installed it through CKAN but it doesn't look right

Edited by goldfang35

That means that, since you start with 1945 technology, your options are:

Quick question.. If I use RP-0 and want to basically mimic the space race with Kerbal Calendar, what is the start year supposed to be? Is it 1955?

According to this post by NathanKell it seems like 1945 is the starting date. You might be able to get a more accurate date by getting launch windows between to other planets and comparing them with real life launch windows.

goldfang35: Update to Realism Overhaul v10.2.

As to the tree, as the OP says we only really support through Gemini, we're nowhere near dealing with the present day or near future.

ZaPPPa: Real Solar System defines Year 1 Day 1 to be Jan 1 1951. If you get Kerbal Alarm Clock and switch its time mode to Earth time, you'll get a real year/month/day display! :)

(RP-0 starts with 1945-era tech, but to save time we don't start then, rather the default RSS start time of 1951.)

goldfang35: Update to Realism Overhaul v10.2.

ZaPPPa: Real Solar System defines Year 1 Day 1 to be Jan 1 1951. If you get Kerbal Alarm Clock and switch its time mode to Earth time, you'll get a real year/month/day display! :)

I had no idea KAC could do that.. Learn something new every day.

Is Sounding Rockets in the plans for support?

I've made a sounding rocket that has an apoapsis of 300 km, is there a way to have the game realize this without having to go back and forth between tracking station and the rocket. I want to use this single rocket to complete a large number of the uncrewed height requirement contracts.

ZaPPPa, not sure what you mean. Sounding rockets are one of the two main ways to start off your career. We support sounding rockets just fine. that's why there's a "sounding rocket" probe core in the start node, and a bunch of science experiments, and sounding rocket contracts.

Unless you mean RoverDude's Sounding Rockets mod, in which case no: the rockets looked terrifically unstable last I checked, and RO isn't in the habit of supporting fantasy parts like that. :]

Hlaford: um, not sure what you mean. Just ride the rocket all the way up, you don't have to be in the tracking station for contracts to complete...

I'm trying a career mode RO + RP-0, and I can't find the "enhanced survivability" node in the tech tree -- no pods! Where is it supposed to be?
Borogove: There's a node just after Survivability called Early Capsules. That's where they are now.

Having the same issue, I recently started a RP-0 career and cant see the mark1/mercury pod or the early command pods node. The thing is that even in the tree file, it says that both should be in the enhanced survivability node (which I can't see either). I would really appreciate some advice on steps to take to fix this.

EDIT:

Misread community resource pack as community tech tree, silly me :P

Edited by modbox555
Classic mistake

ZaPPPa, not sure what you mean. Sounding rockets are one of the two main ways to start off your career. We support sounding rockets just fine. that's why there's a "sounding rocket" probe core in the start node, and a bunch of science experiments, and sounding rocket contracts.

Unless you mean RoverDude's Sounding Rockets mod, in which case no: the rockets looked terrifically unstable last I checked, and RO isn't in the habit of supporting fantasy parts like that. :]

Hlaford: um, not sure what you mean. Just ride the rocket all the way up, you don't have to be in the tracking station for contracts to complete...

What I mean, is there are multiple "Reach an altitude of X km (uncrewed)" missions. I can't do these with a single sounding rocket, I have to use multiple rockets or jump back and forth between earth and the rocket in order to complete them.

I read the OP, but cannot find the information. In my new RP-0 career both the barometer and thermometer only have a display option, but the science reading does not work (option not available). Is this supposed to be this way or is this a bugged installation? I find it nearly impossible to gain science without these experiments.

That's a bugged installation. What mods do you have installed? I'd also suggest removing RP-0 and re-adding it (either via CKAN, or by going to the releases page and downloading the release zip for .35 [i.e. not the source zip or the repo itself] )

Yeah, it is definitely a botched install. All experiments are broken. I reinstalled RP-0 but that did not make a difference. I have a feeling one of the other mods I have installed conflicts with RP-0.

UPDATE: Crowd sourced science was the culprit. It caused all science experiments to fail when using RSS and RP-0 (and possibly another combination of mods).. Double checked on both a fresh install and my previous (broken) install. In both cases crowd sourced science broke all the experiments.. Would probably be a good idea to tag it as incompatible in CKAN until it is resolved. I have no idea how it could interfere, because it seems to innocuous, but it does.

Edited by ZaPPPa

2. In real life, the sustainer is lit when the booster is. I suggest you do the same. Place both engines in your first stage (along with the launch clamp(s)), then the booster decoupler, then anything else. Use MechJeb's autostage functionality to automatically decouple the booster as soon as it burns out. There you go.

Here's a craft file to demonstrate. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8v5hvx2zs488zjo/WAC%20no%20PF.craft?dl=0

This is because the booster provides a tremendous jump in acceleration, and then it burns out and drag provides a very strong deceleration, destabilizing your tanks.

Ok. So it is working as intended. I just wasn't sure. I didn't realize that the excessive drag would interfere with the fuel flow.

3. Contracts unlock based on what you've done. Once you reach the Karman line, the orbit contract opens up. As the RP-0 release notes say, it is possible to get into orbit from the start node alone, it's just very hard. ^_^

I know you "can" make it into orbit right from the start. :) I just thought it was odd that I basically jumped from 1500m/s unmanned speed record to "orbit a satellite" but if the orbit contract comes up just from altitude records, that explains it. :)

Just started playing RP0 again, and I'm having a problem - don't know if it's more appropriate for the realism overhaul thread, but here goes: My engines cut off about 30 seconds into each flight. I've got antenna on the vehicle, so the connection should be ok, but it seems like it briefly loses contact, killing the engine, which then of course can't be restarted. It might be another cause though, as the connection stays green, but I can't think of any other reason for it. Anybody got any ideas? Love the mods, btw!

Just started playing RP0 again, and I'm having a problem - don't know if it's more appropriate for the realism overhaul thread, but here goes: My engines cut off about 30 seconds into each flight. I've got antenna on the vehicle, so the connection should be ok, but it seems like it briefly loses contact, killing the engine, which then of course can't be restarted. It might be another cause though, as the connection stays green, but I can't think of any other reason for it. Anybody got any ideas? Love the mods, btw!

Are there any hints in the f3 menu after your engines cut out? A lot of times the aerobee engines get vapor in the fuel lines and cut out.

I know there is a problem with fairings that are smaller then .5m, but does that problem also include procedural tanks? I've got a very small, cone shaped tank attached to the bottom of my sounding rocket (similar to what NathanKell included in the WAC Corporal craft he posted a couple pages back). Mostly it's for esthetic purposes. I've noticed that every so often that tank will explode due to overheating. Mostly when all the fuel is used up.

I have installed Realism Overhaul and Realistic Progression for the first time (all via CKAN) and I'm having a problem in the career mode. I've seen some people start with "Sounding Rocket Avionics Package", however when I try to use it a pop up window shows up saying: "WARNING Insufficient avionics! Supports: 0.000t Vessel 0.06t"

Is it a bug? What's the point of this part then? I also start with a Guidance Unit 1m, should I use it instead?

Thanks

I have installed Realism Overhaul and Realistic Progression for the first time (all via CKAN) and I'm having a problem in the career mode. I've seen some people start with "Sounding Rocket Avionics Package", however when I try to use it a pop up window shows up saying: "WARNING Insufficient avionics! Supports: 0.000t Vessel 0.06t"

Is it a bug? What's the point of this part then? I also start with a Guidance Unit 1m, should I use it instead?

Thanks

This means that the avionics are not sufficient to steer the rocket, so steering is disabled. However, you can still stage. And that's all they did with those early sounding rockets (they don't even have any means of steering - no reaction wheels, no gimbals, no control surfaces).

Note that in RP-0, you always need an avionics package to control the ship; even having a pilot does not seem to be enough if you don't bring one of the avionics parts with you. But as I said, for a primitive sounding rocket, just the ability to stage is enough.

So I've finally worked past the starting tech and can look at building the Juno and Vanguard. I'm noticing, however, that you can't actually build the Vanguard until you've purchased at least "Basic Solids" since that's the first place where anything similar to the "Grand Central" or "ABL" kick motor becomes available. Was this an oversight or is there a glitch in my installation?

Also, looking ahead a bit, at "Early Orbital Rocketry" we get the Mercuriy-Redstone fuel tank, but we don't get the Mercury command pod until "Basic Capsules". And to get that, you need several other tech nodes including one that includes the "Mercury-Atlas" tank ("Basic Construction"). I'd think it would make more sense to move the Mercury-Redstone tank into "Basic Construction" with the Mercury-Atlas tank.

EDIT: Another thing I just noticed. I've yet to get a satellite up to do a fly by of the Moon, let alone breaking out of Earth's gravity well, but I see I have a contract to put a satellite into a stationary orbit of Pluto. Really think Pluto contracts should wait until you've visited the closer planets first.

Edited by chrisl