[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

Am I the only one who can't get this loaded correctly? I try to install via CKAN and get an error downloading RealPlume and RealHeat, which makes it install nothing. Then I try to do it individually, and the game is super buggy, icons missing, glitchy, etc.

I am only downloading what is required, but nothing is working :( Had no issues with any of this on 0.90, wish I could go back lol

EDIT: Another thing I just noticed. I've yet to get a satellite up to do a fly by of the Moon, let alone breaking out of Earth's gravity well, but I see I have a contract to put a satellite into a stationary orbit of Pluto. Really think Pluto contracts should wait until you've visited the closer planets first.

That's one of the stock contracts that haven't been modified yet. It is slightly annoying however, maybe there'd be a fix soon. Currently all my *** contracts are Pluto or another unreachable destination...

This means that the avionics are not sufficient to steer the rocket, so steering is disabled. However, you can still stage. And that's all they did with those early sounding rockets (they don't even have any means of steering - no reaction wheels, no gimbals, no control surfaces).

Note that in RP-0, you always need an avionics package to control the ship; even having a pilot does not seem to be enough if you don't bring one of the avionics parts with you. But as I said, for a primitive sounding rocket, just the ability to stage is enough.

Thank you very much for you reply. One more thing I don't understand: If I use the first avionics package with 20t weight limit (Guidance unit 1m) and build a rocket heavier than that, I cannot control it (obviously), but if I activate mechjeb's auto pilot the rocket is completely under its control and works just fine. Is it supposed to work this way?

I know that for a lot of early rockets, there was often an unguided solid rocket motor used as the third stage of the vehicle (Vanguard and Thor-Able are two examples). In these cases, I'm under the impression that the kick motor sat on a turn table which was spun up to high speed (400rpm I read in one place) before the motor was activated. This spin kept the final stage stabilized during the burn. As far as I can tell, we don't have any parts that allow us to mimic this kind of spin stabilization so I'd like to suggest adding a very small avionics package either as a separate part or to the various kick motors (Altair1 and 2 for instance) so that we can include small rcs jets to handle the stabilization. The packages don't need to control more then .25t. Barring that, we really need some way to create spin stabilization in the early stages of the game.

EDIT: Also, is there any way to limit contracts so that we don't get the "can generate power" condition until after we've actually learned solar panels? I've got all these satellite contracts that I could feasibly complete but which I can't because there are no solar panels available yet so no way to meet the "can generate power" condition.

EDIT: Not sure if this is possible but is there a way to limit contracts depending on mods? As I mentioned in a previous post, I've already started getting contracts for fly by and impact runs to the moon even though I am still very low on the tech tree. Technically, I think I could actually do one of these missions with the tech I have if not for one problem. One of the mods I'm using is RemoteTech and the best antennae I have right now is only the Communotron 16 with a 4Mm range. I'd guess I'm about 2 game years away from getting "Improved Instrumentation" (and he DTS-M1 with it's 400Mm range). I'm really liking all the new contracts. It would just be nice if contracts were limited to those you could actually do.

Edited by chrisl

I know that for a lot of early rockets, there was often an unguided solid rocket motor used as the third stage of the vehicle (Vanguard and Thor-Able are two examples). In these cases, I'm under the impression that the kick motor sat on a turn table which was spun up to high speed (400rpm I read in one place) before the motor was activated. This spin kept the final stage stabilized during the burn. As far as I can tell, we don't have any parts that allow us to mimic this kind of spin stabilization so I'd like to suggest adding a very small avionics package either as a separate part or to the various kick motors (Altair1 and 2 for instance) so that we can include small rcs jets to handle the stabilization. The packages don't need to control more then .25t. Barring that, we really need some way to create spin stabilization in the early stages of the game.

EDIT: Also, is there any way to limit contracts so that we don't get the "can generate power" condition until after we've actually learned solar panels? I've got all these satellite contracts that I could feasibly complete but which I can't because there are no solar panels available yet so no way to meet the "can generate power" condition.

EDIT: Not sure if this is possible but is there a way to limit contracts depending on mods? As I mentioned in a previous post, I've already started getting contracts for fly by and impact runs to the moon even though I am still very low on the tech tree. Technically, I think I could actually do one of these missions with the tech I have if not for one problem. One of the mods I'm using is RemoteTech and the best antennae I have right now is only the Communotron 16 with a 4Mm range. I'd guess I'm about 2 game years away from getting "Improved Instrumentation" (and he DTS-M1 with it's 400Mm range). I'm really liking all the new contracts. It would just be nice if contracts were limited to those you could actually do.

According to Wikipedia it is done with small solid rocket motors. I usually use two separation motors to create the spin.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin-stabilisation

yes it is usually done with solid rocket motors. but some like explorer 1 uesed a tub like in a washer to spine the explorer satellite. if you watch the launch videos you can see it spinning at the top of the Juno Rocket... not sure how Vanguard did it they may well have used solid rockets to impart the spin

there are more ways to generate power with out solar pannels, you can do it with a fuel cell for example

There are no fuel cells in the early stages of the game, either. Far as I can tell, I won't be getting fuel cell parts until after I get solar panels.

According to Wikipedia it is done with small solid rocket motors. I usually use two separation motors to create the spin.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin-stabilisation

Oh, I hadn't considered doing that. I'll give it a try with my next launch and see how it works. Thanks.

I'm still running into problems with ulage. I've got a Thor-Able rocket. Thor stage burns just fine. After burn out I separate the and activate my RCS thrusters to act as ullage for the Able, 2nd stage. I right click on the attached AJ-10 engine and it shows "Propellant: Very Stable". So I figure I'm good to go and activate the engine. Propellant will instantly change to Very Unstable, I'll get the message "[AJ10 Upper Stage Engine (Early)]: vapor in feedlines, shut down!", the engine turns off, and the propellant line instantly goes back to "Very Stable". Basically the only way for me to reliably get this engine to go is to ignite it before stage separation. How can I resolve this?

EDIT: Actually, not even igniting the AJ10 prior to stage separation works. The engine will ignite but as soon as I stage the same thing will happen: Split second of "Propellant: Very Unstable", engine shut down due to vapor in fuel line, then right back to "Propellant: Very Stable". Basically the only way I can do a launch right now is to perfectly time stage separation with main engine cut off. If I'm even a split second off, I have to start the whole launch all over again. Just seems to me, if the right click menu says "Propellant: Very Stable", then activating the engine should work. If isn't stable and ready to activate, it shouldn't be telling me otherwise.

Edited by chrisl

Propellant will instantly change to Very Unstable, I'll get the message "[AJ10 Upper Stage Engine (Early)]: vapor in feedlines, shut down!", the engine turns off, and the propellant line instantly goes back to "Very Stable".

I had almost exactly the same problem a few times, i think my trouble was with the "AJ10 Upper Stage Engine (Mid)"(possibly the early as well), i would ullage and watch it go stable, then stage only to get "vapor in feedlines". However other times i got it to work fine, and i'm not sure what was different.

My feeling is there must be a glitch with that engine in particular, as "very stable" equates to at least 99.79% chance of ignition.

I had almost exactly the same problem a few times, i think my trouble was with the "AJ10 Upper Stage Engine (Mid)"(possibly the early as well), i would ullage and watch it go stable, then stage only to get "vapor in feedlines". However other times i got it to work fine, and i'm not sure what was different.

My feeling is there must be a glitch with that engine in particular, as "very stable" equates to at least 99.79% chance of ignition.

I may have finally worked around the issue. Still not happy since the "Very Stable" notation seems inaccurate but rather then using RCS to handle ullage, I just stuck 4 "Separation Motor (Small)" engines to the bottom of my Able stage. Now when I drop the 1st stage, I fire those separation motors and then quickly stage the AJ10 while the sep motors are still burning. Still requires correct timing but it's not as precise as I needed before.

How to use puny piston engines on staring node? they pull max 2 kn and I can't lif off even at 60 - 70 m/s....

I used 9 of them, so I had 18 kn but still couldn't even lift...

Should be able to take off below 50 m/s with the included bonanza build. Might be aero problems or landing gear placed too far behind center of mass if your plane design can't lift off the runway at 70 m/s.

That said, the propeller on this engine is producing significantly less than half the thrust you would expect from a 280 hp motor. So, even when it does take off, the bonanza only maintains a < 1 m/s climb rate, and that when almost empty of fuel.

Edit:

Looks like the AJE author is aware of the issue. From the latest release notes:

Propellers are effectively broken right now - issues will be looked at in coming days

They do not produce as much thrust as they should

Some will not start

They cannot be restarted after flameout (or possibly throttle to zero)

Swapping out the prop for a nosecone and putting a pair of the beginning jets mounted onto the wings works pretty well.

Edited by bos

yes it is usually done with solid rocket motors. but some like explorer 1 uesed a tub like in a washer to spine the explorer satellite. if you watch the launch videos you can see it spinning at the top of the Juno Rocket... not sure how Vanguard did it they may well have used solid rockets to impart the spin

I've had decent luck with a few rotationally-oriented attitude jets and a nitrogen tank.

Welcome to Realistic Progression Zero, the lightweight career add-on for Kerbal Space Program's Realism Overhaul.

RP-0 is a career mode for RealismOverhaul with minimal install requirements, and fair and balanced gameplay. Our aim is to allow players to enjoy RealismOverhaul in career mode, without installing a huge number of modules on top of those required by RealismOverhaul itself. However we also wish to ensure that RP-0 works with as many additional mods as possible; we use the Community Tech Tree for the basis of career progression, and try to place as many parts from other mods as possible in a balanced fashion without them being requirements.

When starting the game, the balance should be similar to KSP's normal career, so we recommend "Moderate" or "Hard" settings. If playing without part unlock costs, it's recommended you drop contract funds payouts to 20% to maintain balance, since in real life the research programs and the setting up of factories cost much more than serial production.

We recommend installing via the CKAN, ckan.exe install RP-0 on the command line, or just look for "Realistic Progression Zero" in the GUI.

To install manually, install all required mods, then grab the latest release from the releases page and extract the stuff in the GameData folder in the zip into your KSP/GameData folder (and overwrite as needed).

RP-0 is a community effort, and your contributions are appreciated. You can report issues on our issues page, and access the source code on github. The tech tree itself is designed to be particularly easy for humans to edit.

This top-post is jointly maintained by pjf and NathanKell.

Releases Page (however, we recommend using CKAN; if installing manually be sure to install all requirements first)

Source (Github)

License: CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0

Requirements:

- Realism Overhaul and all its required mods

- Community Tech Tree

- Lack's SXT (although only the engines have RO configs as of yet)

- Ven's Stock Part Revamp

- Contract Configurator

- Custom Barn Kit

- Deadly Reentry

Recommended:

- Procedural Fairings

- Procedural Parts

- B9 Procedural Wings

- Kerbal Construction Time

In Progress

- DMagic's Orbital Science

- Universal Storage

- FASA

- Raidernick's Soviet probes and rockets

Note that more effort has gone into balancing earlier nodes than later nodes. Your feedback and assistance in balancing all nodes is appreciated!

Latest Changes (v0.35 OV-103 Discovery hotfix)

https://camo.githubusercontent.com/a5264bf4904145a6a207c408c935e3d0158f4203/68747470733a2f2f75706c6f61642e77696b696d656469612e6f72672f77696b6970656469612f636f6d6d6f6e732f7468756d622f612f61632f5354532d3131345f6c61756e63682e6a70672f31373070782d5354532d3131345f6c61756e63682e6a7067

(cookie if you get the reference)

REQUIRES Realism Overhaul 10.2 and RealSolarSystem v10.2. In addition, the list of required mods has changed--make sure you have them all!

This release brought to you by the usual suspects, plus Kibbick!

See the gameplay notes below!

Hotifxes:

- Fix for CKAN issues.

- Fix for KCT issues.

- More science results (thanks to jhathawaytn)

I didn't get to install it, I've tried to reinstall the game, then installed this mod and its dependents via Ckan (of course I installed real solar system and realism overhaul, my Ckan is updated as well as the game 1.0.4 and I'm using windows 7), it didn't work at all. The game works as well as its dependent mods except the realistic clouds and textures. I've tried to set the game's graphics highest, but nothing happens either, no clouds and no ground's textures are shown in game (Only the default ground's texture are shown, of course) :( What else can I try?

Edited by jonathantm

I didn't get to install it, I've tried to reinstall the game, then installed this mod and its dependents via Ckan (of course I installed real solar system and realism overhaul, my Ckan is updated as well as the game 1.0.4 and I'm using windows 7), it didn't work at all. The game works as well as its dependent mods except the realistic clouds and textures. I've tried to set the game's graphics highest, but nothing happens either, no clouds and no ground's textures are shown in game (Only the default ground's texture are shown, of course) :( What else can I try?

When you downloaded RSS, did you get one of the three texture sets? I don't use Ckan so I'm not sure how it does the textures but when you do a manual install you have to specifically go and download the 2048, 4096 or 8192 texture file and make sure it's installed. That got me the correct ground textures. I don't get clouds but I think that's from another mod that I don't have.

Is there any way to remove the limited engine ignition stuff until the problem with the system falsely reporting "Propellant: Very Stable" is resolved? I've lost count of the number of launches I've had to completely restart because my early Agena engines (1 and 2 restart capable) failed to start because of "vapor in fuel line" even though right click menu states "Propellant: Very Stable".

The Agena had a couple of SRBs to act as ullage rockets. In-game, the Separation Motor (small) work well for this purpose. Just ignite the main engine while the SRBs are firing (turn down thrust if you need more time) and you should be good to go.

Is there any way to remove the limited engine ignition stuff until the problem with the system falsely reporting "Propellant: Very Stable" is resolved? I've lost count of the number of launches I've had to completely restart because my early Agena engines (1 and 2 restart capable) failed to start because of "vapor in fuel line" even though right click menu states "Propellant: Very Stable".

In GameData\RealFuels\RealSettings.cfg , there is a line called "simulateUllage = true" and another "limitedIgnitions = true". Set that to false, if you don't want that.

What's the connection between mass and avionics? Is it just another take on reaction wheels, I really don't like stacking a wobbly sausage of probe cores just because my rocket is huge, control doesn't come from probes but from engine gimbals and control surfaces.

The Agena had a couple of SRBs to act as ullage rockets. In-game, the Separation Motor (small) work well for this purpose. Just ignite the main engine while the SRBs are firing (turn down thrust if you need more time) and you should be good to go.

That works fine if you're using the first generation (i.e. single start) Agena engine. But when you're upgrading to the Agena B and D, which both had a restartable engine, relying on the Separation Motor doesn't work so well.

In GameData\RealFuels\RealSettings.cfg , there is a line called "simulateUllage = true" and another "limitedIgnitions = true". Set that to false, if you don't want that.

Thank you, replica17. It's not so much that I don't want to use them. I like the realism they add. But it's really getting frustrating when I'm told that the propellant is "Very Stable" (with or without ullage) but when I activate the engine it flames out with "Vapor in fuel line".

Guys I built super simple plane with Derwen V engines, and every time when I activate this engine my ship lost control (the Remote tech goes from local control to No control). So what is wrong? If I change engines to XLR11 it works fine...

I started a new career with RO and RP-0 and have included TestFlight into my setup. I know TestFlight is technically not up-to-date for 1.04, but is works pretty well and I'd like to use it for the rest of my career. I have run into an issue though and I am hoping that someone knows how to fix it.

The Aerobee and AJ-10 are both working fine as in TestFlight accepts them as engines, but the system does not seem to pick up the vanguard as a valid engine. The part name is SXTX405 and all the configs seem to be in order. I have checked it against the AJ-10 config and cannot figure out why the AJ-10 does get picked up, but the Vanguard does not. I hope someone can point me in the right direction so I can fix the config files and then I'll upload my results so other people can run TestFlight as well. It really adds a whole new dimension to the game.