0.90 Career has entered a state where menu/building options are not responsive

After many career flights I did a sub-orbital flight reaching space for the first time. Upon returning to kerbin and landing I could not recover the vessel. Then I realized I couldn't return to space center. And basically I was stuck...after trying to quick save (which didn't seem to work but I'm also playing on Hard mode so I'm not sure it should work) I closed the KSP window and reopened. Many of the buildings were un clickable but I was able to get into the contracts building once, another time I was able to the astronaut complex, but it becomes clear that the game is confused as many buttons don't work, music starts playing from the wrong scene, and basically I can't do anything. I've rebooted and attempted reloading this career several times but each time it's stuck in the GUI before I can begin.

Windows 7 - Steam Download - x86 - 8 MB Ram - Clean fresh install (no mods or leftover files from 0.25.0)

Download of logs & save file (most recent attempt to reload the career): https://www.dropbox.com/s/zryw5bcfysfene0/KSP_logs_save.zip?dl=0

I loaded your save and can confirm what you are saying. It looks like your save is corrupt in some way, although looking at the save itself doesn't show anything obviously wrong. You might have just gotten unlucky, but...

I recommend starting a new save, and try to follow the same general path that you did last time. Try to remember what you're doing (and what kind of craft you launched last) and see if it happens again. I'm looking through your .craft right now, but it would be good to know which one you were flying when the game crashed.

Cheers,

~Claw

Will do - pretty sure the most recent craft wasn't saved so I was flying the VAB's auto-saved craft. I'll double check and add a reply if it isn't the auto saved craft.

Meanwhile I'll see if I can reproduce in a new clean install. I meant to be logging my flights anyway ... But I got excited and forgot. :-) Thanks for checking it out!

Can confirm.

Also can confirm cause is one of the new Fine-print contracts (Though I am not sure which specific contract)

Contract does not need to be active, it just needs to be one of the available ones. Removing the contract if you manage to get into the building will fix the issue (Unless another broken contract spawns)

Error log shows nothing except NullRef's

Also can confirm cause is one of the new Fine-print contracts (Though I am not sure which specific contract)

Contract does not need to be active, it just needs to be one of the available ones. Removing the contract if you manage to get into the building will fix the issue (Unless another broken contract spawns)

Error log shows nothing except NullRef's

Excellent note. That helps me figure out where to look next. :D

Thanks,

-Claw

Hey, I just encountered the same problem.

I've uploaded my save and log here :

http://www./download/jwi2jqjgguc9hu1/KPS.90_UnresponsiveBug_Save%26Log.rar

How the problem occured :

I accepted a contract : Test Basic Jet Engine landed at Kerbin

I tried that one multiple times, created a small ship with the prototype Jet Engine, activated the engine through staging, nothing happened -> No air intake on my ship, the engine can't work without it. Did that a couple times to be sure.

I went back to the Mission Center and cancelled the mission (couldn't do it, haven't researched air intakes yet :P).

By clicking "Back" in the top right corner, I was in a weird "in between scenes" state, where I have both the Space Center's and the Contracts Building's UIs at the same time . Can't do anything other than Alt+F4.

By exiting & reloading the save the problem persists.

Seeing Jattenalle's post, I tried deleting all missions, to no avail. "Perform Visual Surveys of Kerbin" missions keep poping up, and I believe they are part of this new update. Maybe that's the faulty one. I don't know...

Anyway, I hope this helps, maybe you can find the faulty mission by looking at both our saves.

I'll try to start a new carrer later this week and keep you updated if I can reproduce it on a new save.

I just got this issue as well. I was unable to do anything in build mode, the different part groups menu disappeared and I was in display all parts mode and couldn't get out of it. I tried to launch the rocket I was building and the game basically froze and wouldn't do anything, but the Kerbals were still walking around in the background of the build mode. Before it froze completely, I backed out to view the whole space complex, and noticed that time was not progressing, nor could I get time to progress by accelerating it. It seems like it's a problem with a particular ship I was building, as I was able to load a different save and load a default ship and was able to modify it after a couple of tries. (A few other saves I loaded didn't fix the problem, even one from yesterday). Once I loaded that ship I was building, the game messed up again with all the issues above. I've attached my save as well, if you need to take a look at it: http://www.filedropper.com/quicksave2

Edited by SealMan87
Fixed link.

Okay. So I looked at these saves and I know what's in them that's making them corrupt. What I don't know is what's causing the corruption to begin with.

First, if you want to try and fix your save file...

1) Make a copy of the persistence.sfs

2) Edit the persistence.sfs file with a plain text editor (such as notepad).

3) Search for "ProgressTracking"

4) Make the Progress Tracking block look like the following:

SCENARIO
{
name = ProgressTracking
scene = 7, 8, 5
Progress
{
}
}

Make sure you don't leave any extra blank lines in there.

5) Save the file and "Resume Save" in KSP. (Make sure KSP isn't already bugged out. If it is, restart.)

It doesn't appear to be a problem with the contracts directly, but it might be something in the contract system that's setting it off. So what I need help with...

If this happens to you again, immediately quit KSP and go to the KSP_Data directory. Copy out the "output_log.txt" file, upload it somewhere, and link it here. An output_log.txt from trying to reload the save won't do me any good at this point.

Also, I need to know what contracts you completed during the flight, what kerbals were on board, and what the flight profile entailed. Also, importantly, I need to know if the kerbal on board had ever completed the experience task you sent him out on.

Thanks,

~Claw

I think I have it Claw. I would still like to confirm EXACT steps to repro but I think it has to do with firing Jeb, Bill, and Bob who happen to be saved as pilots in a craft or previously gotten xp. I then piloting an existing craft with new hired pilots (but note that perhaps with Jeb, Bill, or Bob had been saved to this craft). Unfortunately my second career ended the same as the first (locked up - I'll try your doctoring noted above) but it gave me the idea to try something...and sure enough I reproduced the issue for a 3rd time right away.

Here's what I just did:

New Career

New Ship - Made sure Jeb was in it - Saved - Launch

Recovered - Jeb gets 1 XP

Fired Jeb, Bill and Bob

Went to Vab, launched ship

Oh Hi Jeb - fly...recover

Check Astrocomplex to see if Jeb has returned from the Unemployment line - he hasn't, he isn't in there at all

Return to VAB, check roster, notice seat to craft is empty, try to launch anyway (must fill seat), ok, put new guy in

Fly, crash to the death, menus don't work - close out game (forced) - upload logs for Claw!

Logs & save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7m87oskxkwo8gs/output_log.zip?dl=0 (note the career I just repo-ed this on was named "default3")

Note that no contracts were directly involved when I reproduced this...I wonder if that's a similar issue with test parts or something.

Anyway, I want to repro again, perhaps with even simpler steps, but bed for me today. Perhaps tomorrow.

Same issue here. I'm very :( because I can't seem to play career mode at all.

Specs: Win7(SP1) 64-bit, ATI Radeon 4870x2 video card. 16g ram.

Problem: I can get into and out of the assembly buildings just fine, but when I try to leave several of the other buildings, the UI for the space center shows up on the very bottom but the building window doesn't go away. The bottom-right button for the menu window brings it up but none of those buttons do anything. I have to alt+f4 out of the game. This is after launching a vehicle once and after having accepted a mission (to explore another part of Kerbin).

Solutions: Tried running it with " -force -opengl -popupwindow" but that doesn't seem to do anything. Tried both the 64 and 32-bit versions. The 64-bit has the upgraded buildings bug so I'm going with the 32-bit right now. Tried Claw's solution above to no avail.

I would dearly love to play this exciting new release but I've been stymied for the last few days. :( :( :(

Note that no contracts were directly involved when I reproduced this...I wonder if that's a similar issue with test parts or something.

You may be on to something with the test parts, as when my game broke I was using some. I made the fix to my save file, and once my video driver finishes updating I'm going to give it a shot.

I just tried the save file fix to no avail. In fact, I was able to do even less that I could before when I loaded my save file. I could only access the technology building, and could not quit the game through the menu (I had to alt+F4 to exit). Guess I'll just start a new game and see if it happens again, fortunately I hadn't progressed too far.

Okay. So I looked at these saves and I know what's in them that's making them corrupt. What I don't know is what's causing the corruption to begin with.

I've seen this exact situation in FireCrew. If you fire a crew member that has any ProgressTracking entries, the ProgressTracking scenario will throw an exception when it tries to save because an entry that references that crew member (such as this KSPAchievements.CrewRecovery from the above log):

[EXC 03:30:00.319] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
KSPAchievements.CrewRef.Save (.ConfigNode node)
KSPAchievements.CrewRecovery.OnSave (.ConfigNode node)
ProgressNode.Save (.ConfigNode node)
ProgressTree.Save (.ConfigNode node)
ProgressTracking.OnSave (.ConfigNode node)
ScenarioModule.Save (.ConfigNode node)
ProtoScenarioModule..ctor (.ScenarioModule module)
ScenarioRunner.GetUpdatedProtoModules ()
Game.Updated ()
FlightDriver+.MoveNext ()

is referencing a null ProtoCrewMember that doesn't exist in KerbalRoster.

You'd have to dig into ProgressTracking and KSPAchievements looking for invalid entries to fix it.

Fired Jeb, Bill and Bob

Okay, this would explain it. And the rest of your steps help out. I will try to replicate later today and see if I can come up with a more elegant solution.

Thanks!

If you fire a crew member that has any ProgressTracking entries, the ProgressTracking scenario will throw an exception when it tries to save because an entry that references that crew member...

Yes, this is exactly it. What I couldn't figure out was if this was the game inflicting something on itself, or something the user did to trigger it. So thanks to everyone, and hopefully I can find a solution soon, beyond "don't fire your guys." :P

In addition to that, I still see a lot of discussion about contracts. If you guys can keep uploading those save files, that will greatly help me figure out if that's a separate issue. I stopped digging into contracts for the posted saves because they all had the Progress Tracking / Kerbal Roster bug.

Thanks everyone for helping get one more bug sorted out!

Cheers,

-Claw

Let's up THIS works. It's the persistent file. I think that's what you're looking for right?

Got bored and tried Science mode. Can't even load up the launch pad. (Long time KSP player here, just returned for the new Beta update. KSP worked perfectly fine before.) HERE's the link to the science save file if it helps, and here's the KSP.txt document as well.

Edited by Velenne

I was having the same issue after firing Jeb when he died, trying to free up a spot in the number of kerbals I was allowed. I went into the persistence file and added him back manually which completely fixed the problem.

I wonder if I'm having the same issue as everyone else then. I'm not firing anybody, stuff just doesn't work. Tried verifying the game files, redownloading and reinstalling, rebooting (heh), I just don't know what else to do. Can't get the game to load up in windowed mode. Can't tell if it's in OpenGL or not either.

I wonder if I'm having the same issue as everyone else then. I'm not firing anybody, stuff just doesn't work. Tried verifying the game files, redownloading and reinstalling, rebooting (heh), I just don't know what else to do. Can't get the game to load up in windowed mode. Can't tell if it's in OpenGL or not either.

Please have a look at this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92230-%21%21%21-PLEASE-READ-BEFORE-POSTING-%21%21%21-Stock-Support-Bug-Reporting-Guide

You may need to start a new help request and add your details to that. If your game isn't starting at all, then it's likely a different issue than the one in this thread.

I see your linked save above. Thank you for posting it, and I will try to check it out as soon as I can.

Cheers,

~Claw

I was having the same issue after firing Jeb when he died, trying to free up a spot in the number of kerbals I was allowed. I went into the persistence file and added him back manually which completely fixed the problem.

This is a valid fix too. Obviously it will tie that slot back up, but it works as a short term fix.

Thanks for the suggestion, and welcome to the forums! :D

Cheers,

~Claw

I've finally finished a fix to deal with this bug as it occurs. However, it will not fix saves that are already broken. So if you want to rescue your save, you'll have to do the fixes mentioned above.

If you're not opposed to mods, the fix I created can be download here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-KSP-v0-90-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules-%28Release-v0-1-6-20-Dec-14%29

Cheers,

~Claw

I seem to have the exact same symptoms as previous posters in this thread, but I don't appear to have the same cause. I don't have any fired or dead Kerbals, but after returning from a Mun free-return trajectory mission with a slight deviation for a Mun orbital survey contract (and then spending science on two research blocks), my saved game entered a corrupt state. The systems seem to be identical to what is described in this thread: once at the main KSC screen, I can bring up the menu, but none of the buttons work. I can enter some buildings like Mission Control or Astronaut Complex, attempting to exit fails to do anything.

Fortunately, I had a clean Quicksave just prior to recovering the returned Mun craft and spending science on research. So I saved my corrupted persistence file, loaded the quicksave, recovered the craft and spent the same science. This new persistence file works perfectly well, no corrupt issues. I tried doing a diff between the corrupt and non-corrupt files, but I got a bunch of differences in available contracts and available Kerbals for hire.

Here is the corrupt persistence save: http://www.filedropper.com/persistentcorrupt201412241252

Here is the non-corrupt persistence save: http://www.filedropper.com/persistentnotcorrupt201412241310

Here is the quicksave just prior to corruption: http://www.filedropper.com/quicksave_1

It's quite possible this is a completely different bug, so if you think I should start a different thread, please let me know. However, the symptoms seem too similar, so I thought it should go here.

I seem to have the exact same symptoms as previous posters in this thread

Same here. I have previously had the bug from firing jeb. Now i have it when I travel to Duna.

It feels like the same bug. Its exactly the same symptoms as when i fired jeb.

I have the same issue. Jeb died fairly early in the game with no issues. Somewhat later I fired someone I had rescued from orbit who never flew a mission, still no issues (for several more hours of play.) Just recently, I completed a contract to place a satellite in a (more or less) retrograde orbit around Kerbin and accepted another to create a polar orbit and collect science data from space. Originally couldn't right click the VAB, but on reloading the save right clicking worked, though now I can't left click the VAB. SPH still works, as well as the other buildings, however, the KSC scene won't reload when I try to exit. It also won't allow me to quit using menu buttons, have to Alt-F4.

New saves work properly.

Here is my persistence file, if that is helpful.

Update:

I found the issue in contracts. If you rescue someone from orbit then fire them, they will return to the hirable Kerbal list, so there is no problem in the short term. However, eventually they are replaced by another Kerbal and disappear from the game. Once they are gone, the game throws an exception when it refers back to the contract you completed when you rescued them from space. Rename an existing Kerbal with their name to fix the problem or delete their rescue contract. Not a long term solution, but doable. The real problem comes when you've got more rescues than Kerbals. Guess you could add them as dead Kerbals instead of living.

In my savegame it's Wilry Kerman who caused the issue.

Edited by Jason Patterson