[0.90]Unclear wording: what do you mean with "in flight", devs?

Game Version: KSP 0.90 32 bits ( not that it matters )

Situation: The phrasing "flying ( low or high )" or "in flight" appears to have two divergent meanings in 0.90

Description : As you know, in career mode ( and science mode where applicable ) until 0.25 ( including ) the "in flight" or "flying" meant a situation where you were inside a atmosphere ( as opposed to in orbit ( low or high ), suborbital or in escape trajectory ), like in "above surface inside a atmosphere" :

gENbJv7.png

3kgP1xH.png

This two images are from a ported career game started in 0.25, btw. Not that it matters ...

The survey contracts introduced in 0.90, however, seem to have a different definition of "in flight":

xW9JxdQ.png

Ae9m8uk.png

In here "in flight" seems to mean "above surface" ( note the lack of " in a atmosphere" ), that is far different from the above quoted situations, a thing that can lead to confusions ( note that both of the above contracts would be impossible if the meaning of "in flight" meant that the test was being done in a "flying ( low or high ) " situation, one because there isn't a atmosphere in Minmus and the other because you can't make grav scans while in a "flying" situation )

Expected, behavior: The meaning of "flying" and "in flight" has no ambiguities

Suggested fix: Change the "Record X in flight above Y m" wording in the survey contracts for "Record X above Y m from the surface" . That removes any unclear meanings. Adding to that, maybe grav readings above x height could be removed if it is clear that the contract is meant to be made in a atmosphere ...

The original wording of this objective actually was what you suggest: "Record X below Y m from the surface". The problem was also that this is unclear, because low altitude surveys cannot be completed while landed. I needed to specify that the player also be above the ground. I considered checking for atmosphere and using "in a suborbital trajectory below x m" when it wasn't present, but this resulted in very lengthy objective titles that frequently took up valuable space in the contract app window.

The original wording of this objective actually was what you suggest: "Record X below Y m from the surface". The problem was also that this is unclear, because low altitude surveys cannot be completed while landed. I needed to specify that the player also be above the ground. I considered checking for atmosphere and using "in a suborbital trajectory below x m" when it wasn't present, but this resulted in very lengthy objective titles that frequently took up valuable space in the contract app window.

Oh, a answer from the maker itself :D

I failed to notice that my suggestion would bring issues when the contract asks for something below X m :/ And yes, it would give very wordy titles if you have gone that way ... But "flying" describes a very specific set of situations in terms of other areas of the game, so it can't stay this way ( TBH when I noticed this I was "*edited profanity*, another batch of impossible contracts ... the launch clamps on the Mun were not enough already?", so I can only imagine the confusion of a newbie if it gets a situation like this ). Maybe it is the science tab that has to change names ( from "flying high/low" to "high/low in atmosphere" ( well, technically you don't need to be flying to get those, you just have to be there. Falling, flying or hovering make no difference, so calling it flying is somewhat a misnomer TBH ) , maybe? ) .... ;)

Edited by r_rolo1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.