0.90 Can't hire any new Kerbals

EDIT: This was definitely related to my other bug. I decided to try editing the save file to remove the cloned kerbal and that fixed my astronaut complex. I can hire Kerbals again.

My Astronaut Complex got glitched somehow and I can not hire any new Kerbals. I can open it up and see a list of applicants, but clicking on them does nothing. I only have 4 Kerbals: the starting 3 and one I was able to hire earlier. I have upgraded the complex once so it is at level 2. Also, it says "Active Crews: 10 of 12 maximum" -- I have no idea what this means as I only have 4 Kerbals, so why would it think I had 10? The max is 12 at this upgrade level, so why can't I hire 1 or 2 more even if I did have 10 already?

It is possible that this is related to another bug I have had here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103423-BUG-Bob-the-scientist-cloned-himself%21

The astronaut complex has not allowed me to hire anyone for a while, my one and only hire was at the start of the career.

Edited by Kelderek

• 1 month later...

I just had this bug myself. My game crashed and when I came back, my fully upgraded astronaut complex shows 10/12 crews (even though I have more than that) and I am unable to hire any more kerbals. This post is shown as "solved", so I was wondering what the solution was? I've tried surfing thru my persistent.sfs, but it's 92,182 lines long and I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

Had it happen a few times now, no idea what's triggering it. Relevant line from output_log.txt

When opening Astronaut Complex:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

Parameter name: index

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[internalSeat].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CMAstronautComplex.CreateAssignedList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CMAstronautComplex.InitiateGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AstronautComplexFacility.OnClicked () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpaceCenterBuilding.EnterBuilding () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpaceCenterBuilding.OnLeftClick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpaceCenterBuilding+

.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

When focusing on a vessel holding the kerbal with the bad index in the map view:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

Parameter name: index

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[internalSeat].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KnowledgeBase.CreateVesselCrewList (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KnowledgeBase.OnMapFocusChange (.MapObject target) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventData`1[MapObject].Fire (.MapObject data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetariumCamera.SetTarget (.MapObject tgt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpaceTracking.SetVessel (.Vessel v, Boolean keepFocus) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SpaceTracking+

.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at KnowledgeBase.UpdateVesselInfoList (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KnowledgeBase.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

It happens with both modded or unmodded install.

Can provide save on request, but I only have a modded install at the moment.

How to manually fix it

You need to find which vessel holds the bad Kerbal, you can do this by selecting each one in the map view until things break.

Once you know which vessel is bad, exit KSP and open the save file.

Find the relevant vessel section in the savefile:

VESSEL

{

pid = 5fbf073ec9b54e8690d772db5044f16d

name = SciMaster 1[...]

Find all parts of that vessel that contain crew

PART

{

name = some_goddamned_part

[...]

crew = Chris Kerman

crew = Fredvey Kerman

crew = Sidwell Kerman

, write down each crew member (Your crew will be different from the example!)

Search for each crew members roster in turn

KERBAL

{

name = Chris Kerman

[...]

idx = -1[...]

-1 is not a valid idx for an assigned crewmember, it needs to be set to a valid range.

For example if you have a cockpit that can hold 3 Kerbals, make sure the crew members seated in it have their idx set to 0, 1, and 2.

If you have a single crew pod, the one Kerbal in it should have his idx set to 0.

If you have multiple crewed parts, each part has its own idx, cockpitA will have Kerbals with idx 0, 1, and 2. And cockpitB will have Kerbals with idx 0, and 1 (For example)

Remember, idx start at 0, not 1!

Repeat until you've gone through all broken vessels, and all crewed parts on each vessel.

Start KSP, load save, should work.

Edited by Jattenalle

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the fix! I was having the same problem in v1.0. This trick worked. Let me just add, though, that you only want to fix the idx value for the Kerbals with an "Assigned" status. If the Kerbal has a status of "Available" the idx is supposed to be -1!

I initially went through and changed the value for all the Kerbals in my roster and found it didn't fix anything. I went back and compared the broken save file with an older one confirmed to work. Looking through the roster on the working one, I saw all the Available Kerbals still had an idx of -1. Once I changed it back on the broken file, it worked again!

I ran across another way to fix it, and little different scenario. In 1.0 managed to crash a Kerbal pilot and a tourist on Mun with no hope for recovery. Tourists can't EVA so even if I get a rescue craft there he is stuck. I canceled the contract and this glitched the game. It made new Kerbals unhireable and make the crashed vessel unselectable but apparently the tourist wasn't removed, he was still in the vessel. Followed the above fix but the Tourist had been removed from the roster when the contract was removed and that was causing the problem. Since he was not in the roster removing the entire crew = with his name under the vessel solved the issue.

Edited by smoore
spelling

Tourists can't EVA so even if I get a rescue craft there he is stuck.

Glad you could fix your save file but on the other hand... Oh no ! A tourist has been eradicated !

I'm getting off topic here, but in case you find yourself in a similar situation in the future, there's actually a way (meticulous yet fun... hey that's KSP) to recover your tourist : send a rescue ship with wheels and a grabbing unit. Grab the shipwreck with the claw.

You'll then be able to transfer the tourist to a seat of your new vessel. And take off with him.

Claws are a good way to transfer tourists from one ship to another when you don't have docking ports. They basically act as docking ports, except that you don't need a docking port on the other side. They can be very helpful when you notice (usually way too late) that your cruise vessel has not enough 'uel to complete its touristic itinerary.

Cheers

• 8 years later...

I had a similar issue happen, when I went EVA on a moon mission, and when I boarded it left a GHOST KERBAL.  Soon after I had the described glitch where I could not buy any kerbals and it showed a false limit.  I went through the save file and found an "assigned kerbal" with an idx of -1 but that didnt fix the issue. What did work, was just going in and deleting ANY of the kerbals in my roster. That returned things to functioning like normal... so I have no idea. Hope this helps someone else in a similar situation.