A few problems?

Ok, things are a touch confusing with this new release. I'm not sure if these are bugs yet, or features, as I've yet to get terribly far in the new campaign:

I cannot target things? Is this from an upgrade from a buildings? Future upgrades are not outlined anywhere, it seems, except for a few in the big .90 post. There's no information in game on what I will gain by upgrading a building.

Utter lack of SAS without a pilot makes remote probes QUITE difficult before a certain point. Even NASA could do this in the early days. They launched several rockets with no crew aboard to test things. We don't normally send people into space if we're unsure if they'll live at all. I've attempted to pilot a few rockets into space utterly manually. It's... less than satisfying. Maybe I'll try with a joystick.. but meh.

The game is definitely a bit tougher now. Getting past the hurdles of the initial program, where I have to do piddly missions I normally skip is kind of a frusteration. I'm not a huge fan of doing billions of parts tests, since their payout is generally meager, or they involve hauling a huge SRB into sub orbital just to fire and drop them.

I will figure it out, just wondering at other people's experiences.

Yeah, I'm sure the targeting is part of upgrading your tracking center.

As for information on upgrading, yes, it is there in that dialog box, at lest when I hovered mouse over upgrade, the increases for launch weight showed for the launchpad, I didn't yet see about the tracking center, but try placing mouse over the button and see what it tells you.

So far, I just declined parts tests and went for the alt, escape and orbit so far so good ... though I notice you start with just Jeb as a listed pilot, no others available in the astro complex, which means be careful! :)

Yeah. Pilots are suddenly precious. Heck, I don't want to lose a single Kerbal.. I rarely lost them before, but accidents do happen.

EDIT: Oh and thank you, yes, they show the *next* level when you upgrade, but not the full progression. It'd be nice if there was some kind of in game encyclopedia for this information, so I could know what I get from tier 3 without having to go google crazy. Especially right now, since so little information is out there.

I have been playing in hard difficulty and I see no need for doing "billions of part tests". I don't like doing part tests either, so I tend to skip them unless they fit with a mission profile I'm planning. So far I'm struggling with gathering enough cash to upgrade the buildings, but was able to follow a slow and steady progression that goes somewhat like this:

- 1: Launch vessel and break altitude record contracts;

- 2: Break altitude record and reach space contracts;

- 3: Reach orbit and get science from kerbin space contracts;

- 4: With these three missions I was able to get a reliable orbiter and unlocked batteries, allowing me to do multiple "Science from kerbin space" on the next launch; with a strategy to convert funds into science I unlocked the tech to a probe with SAS, solar panels, and everything needed to build a small jet plane

- 5: Multiple plane "survey" contracts;

- 6: Multiple "place satellite" contracts;

I upgraded the launchpad and plan to upgrade either the tracking station or the R&D next. It's tough, but then again I'm playing hard mode. In normal mode should be a piece of cake.

It.. doesn't stay. The game tells me there's no SAS available. Yep. No SAS available on it, either.

Completely ridiculous that the first probe (Stayputnik) doesn't even have reaction wheels. I can (sort of) agree with no SAS right away, but why build a probe that doesn't have a means of control. It's just dead weight. There's always been a bias toward manned (Kerballed?) missions, but 0.90 made unmanned missions nearly impossible in the early phases of the game.

I'm not normally one to edit things, but I just added reaction wheels to the stock Stayputnik.

Bill

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.