Why we will never leave our Solar System

ping111

Well other issues do arise through long exposure to zero-g. For example blood pressure equalises throughout the body. This could cause dangerous effects over a period of years (which would definitely be more than the time needed).

No sane designer would create a space ship intended for long-term habitation without some form of artificial gravity (spinning sections of the ship or something similar)...

During acceleration a force is exerted on you. If we produce interstellar ships they will almost certainly be under acceleration for 100% of the time. This could produce issues for artificial gravity.

During acceleration a force is exerted on you. If we produce interstellar ships they will almost certainly be under acceleration for 100% of the time. This could produce issues for artificial gravity.

That itself would also create it\'s own artificial gravity, would it not?

Well, if you are under acceleration all the time, than you don\'t need other sources of artificial gravity. Just make a ship that constantly accelerates at 1G... Simple... :P

And if that acceleration is less then 1G, all it means is that your spinning sections will need to be at an angle so that the combined vector of the ship\'s acceleration and the centrifugal force of the spinning is 1G 'downward'. The easiest way would probably be to suspend the habitation areas from the central spindle of the ship on long cables or booms and then spin the entire ship. Also, we still do not know what would be the minimal gravity force necessary to keep astronauts in reasonably good health. It might not be necessary to provide astronauts with the full 1G of acceleration.

It\'s not about spaghettification, it\'s just about pure explosion. Our inner gases would exert more pressure than the outside, and it would burst out. Think about what would happen if you tried to blow a bubble in a vacuum. The bubble would pop instantly, because the air inside has way more pressure than the vacuum.

That\'s why we would build space ships.

Gravity has nothing to do with air pressure.

Only if you keep the engines going.

If there is nothing 'pushing' you you would not accelerate in interstellar space. You\'d just keep going at a constant speed.

We have to keep the engines going... Otherwise such a journey will take exponentially longer.

I also meant that normal centrifuges will act in a different direction.

We have to keep the engines going... Otherwise such a journey will take exponentially longer.

I also meant that normal centrifuges will act in a different direction.

'they will almost certainly be under acceleration for 100% of the time.'

I somehow missed that rather important part of your post. Apologies.

Although, it would cause problems with a classic centrifuge (2001 type thing) but I imagine it\'s not beyond the human race to think of something that would counteract this.

I\'m sure its been mentioned, but I\'m in a bit of a rush. The OP seems to be confusing gravity with pressure. If we needed gravity to keep us together, then doing a hand stand would be fatal because gravity would be going the wrong way.

Also, even in a full hard vacuum (like say walking out the door of a space shuttle in orbit without any clothes or protective gear on (or walking around on the moon like this), is not immediately fatal, and if you return before you freeze to death or asphyxiate (no oxygen), its even survivable. The Body has beautiful mechanisms built into the circulatory system that allow it to deal with changes in pressure from hard vacuum (no pressure at all) to several atmospheres (this is why you don\'t immediately die when you go down more than 8ft under water, which would be more than enough pressure to collapse your lungs if your body was in the same state it was at when you were standing at the edge of the pool).

Also, its not possible to leave the sphere of influence of a gravitational body while still in a galaxy. What do you think is holding the Sun in its orbit (its not just sitting there, its orbiting at very high speed the centre of our galaxy)? Our galaxy, and I assume all the others, have a core of super sized stars and at least one terrifyingly strong black hole, which capture every single other object in the galaxy and hold them in orbit. Their gravitational pull (along with the combined gravitational pull from everything else in the galaxy) is so tremendous that large galaxies will even pull in other (often a smaller) galaxy and consume it, making the galaxy even more massive so it can pull in more glaxies. You would have to go a long way into intersellar space before the gravity from galaxies became negligible.

The communety sir has just taken a slege hammer to you thery

No... The community has corrected your theory that was based on incomplete facts...

No sledgehammer was involved.

Okay, ready for some grisly facts?

If not, I suggest you read no further.

Okay, still with me? Good.

Apparently some guys have done some study on this issue. Sorry, not sure who (I can\'t give you any studies to read). However, the human skin is actually a fairly good pressure membrane.

You wouldn\'t want to be exposed to the pressure and cold (and heat when in direct sunlight!) of deep space for very long, because it\'d cause severe bruising and burns/frostbite. But for exposures of a couple of minutes in relatively protected locations, skin itself should be able to survive just fine.

The problem is that skin is not sealed. You have to have . . openings . . to make things work.

Oh, and there\'s the little factor of the human body needing to be inflated to function.

So basically the minimum you need to survive in space for a couple of minutes is some kind of sealing for the ears, eyes, nose, mouth, and a couple of things below the belt - a simple way of doing that is retaining the traditional helmet with air supply - and some sort of sealed pants.

Now, between you and me and the gatepost, I\'m not heading out into space like that. Personally I\'m taking the full balloon suit. But that\'s the minimum a human would need.

I believe the studies working this out were on rats, incidentally. Poor critters . . . .

In any case, elastic garments are certainly a serious option for future space suits. They can provide pressure as easily as a balloon suit, with the added bonus that if you damage them there\'s little problem - a mild bruise where the breach occurred would be the only consequence.

I can believe that to a degree.

You would survive the pressure (assuming your skin has no deep cuts), but the temperature and radiation would be pretty severe.

The bruises would be similar to a hickey then, capillaries bursting. It\'s nothing major, but you wouldn\'t want it everywhere :P

As far as I can see, as long as you can keep your internal pressure at regular levels, your blood won\'t boil and cause you to explode.

Remember, boiling doesn\'t mean super heated.

Boiling means the partial pressure of the liquid exceeds the pressure of the solvent.

e.g. Heating water makes the water pressure greater than atmospheric pressure, so it changes to gas (steam), which is why water boils faster at higher elevations.

In space, pressure is near 0, so pretty much any liquid will boil, unless you are able to keep that fluid under pressure (space suit with pressurized air inside).

I think the cold would be the main factor.

Remember that space is pretty much at 0 Kelvin (about -273 Centigrade) so you you just freeze.

Not sure how cold it would be in the sun. Still pretty cold I imagine. No atmosphere to trap all that warmth that we need.

I think the cold would be the main factor.

Remember that space is pretty much at 0 Kelvin (about -273 Centigrade) so you you just freeze.

Not sure how cold it would be in the sun. Still pretty cold I imagine. No atmosphere to trap all that warmth that we need.

Actually, it\'s quite the opposite. Yes, the little matter there is in space is extremely cold, but the very fact there is so little of it means that that cold would not affect us very much. To put it another way, vacuum is a great heat insulator. :)

Actually, it\'s quite the opposite. Yes, the little matter there is in space is extremely cold, but the very fact there is so little of it means that that cold would not affect us very much. To put it another way, vacuum is a great heat insulator. :)

Oh hey...I never thought of it like that lol. Seems pretty damn obvious now.

Heat can travel via radiation though, so that would still affect us. No?

Radiation can give us cancer so yes it would effect us...

The only way we would be able to leave the solar system is if we found out how to turn dark energy into electricity.

Then we could put heating wires into our space suits and use the dark energy to power it.

Yes, but heat dissipation by radiation is hundreds of times less efficient than heat transfer to another medium...

iss_sts98a.jpg

Those big brownish \'wings\' on the ISS are not solar panels (solar panels are the smaller, grayish ones in the back), they are radiators used to dissipate heat and prevent astronauts from being boiled alive...

*edit* My bad, those ARE solar panels, the heat radiators are the zigzagging ones in partial shadow

dn11068-1_600.jpg

As for SOLAR radiation, if you are exposed to direct sunlight you are not going to have a good time, but as long as you are in the shade you should be fine for a short time.

The only way we would be able to leave the solar system is if we found out how to turn dark energy into electricity.

Then we could put heating wires into our space suits and use the dark energy to power it.

wat

wat.

Radiation isn\'t cancer causing, it a way heat travels through a vacuum. The radiation your thinking of is Radiactive Decay from unstable atoms/isotopes.

As for the rest,

wat.

wat.

Radiation isn\'t cancer causing, it a way heat travels through a vacuum. The radiation your thinking of is Radiactive Decay from unstable atoms/isotopes.

As for the rest,

wat.

Erm, that\'s still radiation...