Flight of the US1. A NEAR desaster.

Tw1

After some experimentation with rovers, I, like most others, decided to build a big spaceplane. I also recently upgraded to NEAR, and haven't quite got the hang of it yet.

I threw something together, and began launching:

I tried many times:

yNV3Hfg.png

ht0xsKE.png

UM4hlgx.png

...many times:

e1MkObe.png

jJwpeHz.png

ka8gyrT.gif

Eventually, I got something that works.

The Untitled Spacecraft 1 takes off vertically, under a combination of solid booster and main engine thrust. It has to be throttled down, and turned gently, before extreme speed shreds the wings.

It had a nice, clean booster separation.

BU6dGg0.png

qOqmsgE.png

And got into orbit with 1400m/s delta v to spare.

49IUYSP.png

Now it was time for some space activities. First, I had a payload to deploy.

2Gp6mkv.png

BoEaBSZ.png

Two canned scientists, enthusiastic to begin their research.

If they are good, I might send up a hab module, or even a control source one day.

pQLzNdb.png

Then, I dropped off a few kerbals.

zz6xVKz.png

Those rescue contract kerbals have to come from somewhere right?

9AWwPCc.png

Well, now you know.

I had one final experiment that would continue into landing.

LLCECiH.png

Cargo bay party!

OtvudLJ.png

Give them a little thrust.....

uAv2M3C.png

Give them a little spin...

J9oZFQW.gif

And thus began our eventful reentry.

mfO3ZT0.png

The burn put us on a trajectory that without gliding, would have us impact the center of KSC's continent.

Landing took several attempts. On the way down, a final retrograde burn was used to slow us to 1600m/s, while still in the upper atmosphere. Reasons for disassembly varied. Did you know the new Mk3 cockpit has a rear hatch self destruct button?

Xwobpd9.png

Ironically, when the plane disintegrated over land, the kerbals most likely to survive where the ones that feel out of the cargo bay.

edNiCUl.png

X6skkkh.png

wpTfvjp.png

Eventually, there was a successful-ish attempt. And that's the one I'm going to recount.

My crew was confident. Jeb performed the flip to retrograde, then a return to prograde. But this time, we left a little spare fuel in the tanks.

a1FWeIG.png

The plane came in hot, Jeb aiming for some object lying around KSC. Many quick corrections were needed to stop it from rolling. They dived, hoping to slow down closer to the ground.

9JfNM5N.png

TigK4qK.png

But they were coming in too fast. They pulled up, avoiding the mountains, overshooting KSC.

C0FsXdM.png

When it became clear they would also miss the island airstrip, effort was made to turn the plane around. But all we could do was make it verr a little.

TcMMQme.png

Hgt3wZf.png

So the flight continued, over the sea, into the darkness.

eX7cCvc.png

tEUwGrV.png

Slowly, speed was lost. The plane dipped into the lower atmosphere, aerodynamic stress picking off weaker parts of the wing.

tVy1Z9j.png

The aim was to land on the next continent. It wasn't far off, and was slightly north of the current trajectory. But during an attempt to alter course, the plane became unstable.

pJRZXAu.png

2k2Arzn.png

The plane began to tumble, eventually settling into a flat spin. I instructed Jeb to point it prograde, but there was nothing he, or I could do.

We waited, as the plane slowly descended towards the inevitable

fOoJlZw.png

Px9wSum.png

Splash!

CVphsaU.png

But wait! The fuselage is intact!

They're alive?

6pysZ9I.png

YES! All the little kerbies survived and the cargo bay party, is now a pool party.

OqHp6kZ.png

CfKtCdV.png

The crew soon joined them. (Except for Bill, who wanted to inspect the hull.)

ir0Cy4i.png

Lfeof68.png

They happily waited for rescue, and all lived happily ever after- until the next time.

mHw83po.png

And that's

Q2NHscB.jpg

Edited by Tw1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.