Cargo Holds and Tail doors

Right now we have cargo bays, and I find them to be immensely useful. However, I would greatly appreciate it if we had cargo "holds," or doorless cargo bays that we can surface attach stuff to around their entire circumference. This would require tail/nose loading doors, but I also think those would be incredibly useful, especially for rover deployment and retrieval.

I suspect we have nothing like that stock (yet) because it would require Robotic Part, something that is on the "What Not to Suggest List".

A ramp is basically a physical part on which you can attach thing,, that can rotate, but must hinge in a controlled way.

I'm not really surprised the Developers didn't built any (door or hinge mechanism), it would be a nightmare to solve all the new problem created by what people will inevitably try to design.

This Forum would get flooded with "Fix grip over ramp", "add a Kanadarms", "improve action group so I can build a walker", "add a crane, cable, this hinge, rails, oh and make it possible to grab part of the same rocket".

It's a physical part that hinge and unlike landing gear, have a huge surface to use, people will thereby ask to be able to place part on it, to control finely how wide it open, to make all cargo-door like that to place solar panel on them...etc

And as said, there will certainly have a lot of bug fixing to do because of those.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.