Disco Mun followed by a Crash

Do you mean a first run with Active Texture Management? As the OP says, it'll be a teensy bit more than 5 minutes. Easily 10-20 minutes the first time, but much faster after all the textures are compressed and cached.

Something I just realized. THe power usage on my Macbook has been insane the last two days, this morning I found out why. Even though KSP crashed several time, there has been three KSP process still running in the background using about 32% of my CPU cycles. This has been in spite of the fact that KSP was force quit/crashed on several occasions. I killed all the processes and everything seems fine now, but who know what will happen next time I try to play.

I can say that that the Active Texture Management package, while helpful, does NOT solve memory crashes in KSP on OS X, at least not from what I've seen. It can delay them, but it doesn't fix the problem, and this is on 10.9, not Yosemite. I'm still seeing crashes with malloc failures in the Player.log. Part of the issue is that KSP (or perhaps it's more of the way Mono handles things) will blow out the moment the system runs out of available memory regardless of whether it's at the 32-bit limit, at least from what I've seen. I've never seen this behavior from other applications. It should be allowing OS X to free up some inactive space, compress memory if possible, or even dip into the swap file, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I certainly hope that one of the large priorities now that KSP is in beta is a full 64-bit client on all platforms and/or better memory management and integration with the host OS.

Well, no. ATM can't solve the issues if you still end up using too much RAM. I also wouldn't trust Activity Monitor to tell you how much addressable space KSP is using. Sometime you should try adding up all the numbers in the Memory column. :wink:

Can you get it stable if you edit the scale setting in KSP/GameData/ActiveTextureManagement/settings.cfg? With enough mods, I've found I sometimes need to bump it up to 4 – others have used 8. Remember to delete the texture cache after you edit the setting.

I set the scale to 4 and made a new sandbox to boot. No crashes yet, but I haven't built or launched any humungous craft, just a few somewhat smaller ones to get to the Mun/Minmus and back. It may be worth noting that my previous sandbox did have a few active missions, one small orbital space station and a few smallish landers on Duna. Fingers crossed...

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've learned it occurs when loading a ship. Most times it's after ~5 times in a gaming session that it occurs. I have a log that records me loading a ship in orbit around the mun. I switched to the ship after playing for about 20 mins or so. There are a bunch of 'co-routine couldn't start' messages and then TweakScale freaks and starts throwing NPEs. I then went back to the space center and to the main menu, where I got yet another NPE.

Link to log file, on Dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11629505/KSP.gfx.glitch.log

I should note that this log is from a modded install, but I saw the bug in my unmodded install as well.

These are all essentially a 32-bit Unity problem. 32-bit Unity can only get ~3.5-3.8 GB RAM no matter if you have 4GB or 32GB RAM installed on your machine. It also matters not which graphics card you use (at least I don't think so). The psychedelic colors are basically "corrupted" textures in RAM or VRAM.

Really, the only way around it is to reduce texture quality until you don't crash (or it becomes infrequent enough to not be an issue). You can do this by lowering the texture quality in KSP settings, using Active Texture Management, or both (which is what I have to do).

Or, if you're feeling really adventurous, install Linux somewhere and use the KSP x64 Linux version and enjoy utilizing more RAM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.