[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Here is a 10000px wide map. you can see all sorts of interesting details at this resolution in regards to how the scan works. You can also make some deductions about movements and scan heights of the scanning ship.

isarammuntopo10000x5000.png

open the image in a new window and zoom in to that 'X' looking area a bit down and left from center.

I also had to delete my Kerbin data to get anything to render.

I\'m guessing that one splotch in the center is where you crashed, right? 8)

Also; this was high-altitude, wasn\'t it?

Really great Addon!

He\'res my scanning of the Mun so far: (and still collecting Data)

Can an ayone tell me what import options i need to display this data using QuickGrid?

Why nobody seems interested in mapping Kerbin?

I have been, but mapping Kerbin is even slower than mapping the Mun. I\'ve got about 50megs of points now an my Map is not even half as full as yours.

Toast: Close. The splotch is where I initially landed, then took back off, mainly to see how this would effect the data. It is a high orbit at 10x acceleration over about 8 hours.

Gefrierbrand : As far as QuickGrid: First you have to change all the semicolons to commas in the csv file, I\'ve found this easiest just to do in notepad using 'replace all' in the edit functions, I would also save it to a different name so as not to corrupt your original data. Next, after you have started QuickGrid, go to Edit>Input Options> then change the 'Input Field Positions: to x=2 and y=1 (just reverse them). Now go to File>Input Scattered Data Points> Input Metric Data Points and point it to your modified csv file. Now go View>as lat/long data and View>with hidden color grid. Now Edit>Grid Line Coordinates>set your start as W180'degree symbol'.0 and S90'degree symbol'.0 and your end as E180'degree symbol'.0 and N90'degree symbol'.0 increment will set how large your data points appear. To use some extrapolation go to Edit>grid Generation Options and change the Distance Cutoff and Edge Sensitivity to higher percentages.

I would recommend just playing with the grid and edit unctions to tweak you map appearance at this point. Go to Window>Copy to Clipboard as Bitmap to paste it into you favorite image editing software to save it and post here.

Have fun.

Suggestion:

Catch for errors in map generation, if some apper backup the file automatically and delete the corrupted datapoints from the original one.

Edit:

After manually deleting some bad-looking datapoints, i got this:

Unbehandelte Ausnahme: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Der Index war außerhalb
des Arraybereichs.
bei isa_RAM_MapGen.MainClass.Main(String[] args)

I\'m using the newest version and tried to use command line arguments too, still happened...

I notice the scale doesn\'t work when using the natural terrain map colours - It just displays a white bar at the bottom.

Also - I gather that the dish only collects data when the current craft is active? I guess that kinds of shoots a hole in my plan for a constellation of surveying sats around Kerbin.

Either in the current craft or in another one in the 2.5 km range, but both options destroy your plan...

I fixed my problem now, it still contained some sort of bad data, nothing is lost \'cause 0° inclination test sattelite sucks...

Gefrierbrand : As far as QuickGrid: First you have to change all the semicolons to commas in the csv file, I\'ve found this easiest just to do in notepad using 'replace all' in the edit functions, I would also save it to a different name so as not to corrupt your original data. Next, after you have started QuickGrid, go to Edit>Input Options> then change the 'Input Field Positions: to x=2 and y=1 (just reverse them). Now go to File>Input Scattered Data Points> Input Metric Data Points and point it to your modified csv file. Now go View>as lat/long data and View>with hidden color grid. Now Edit>Grid Line Coordinates>set your start as W180'degree symbol'.0 and S90'degree symbol'.0 and your end as E180'degree symbol'.0 and W90'degree symbol'.0 increment will set how large your data points appear. To use some extrapolation go to Edit>grid Generation Options and change the Distance Cutoff and Edge Sensitivity to higher percentages.

I would recommend just playing with the grid and edit unctions to tweak you map appearance at this point. Go to Window>Copy to Clipboard as Bitmap to paste it into you favorite image editing software to save it and post here.

Have fun.

Thanks, I\'ve been able to get my data to display in QuickGrid, the step where I should change Grid Line Coordinates does not work however. It won\'t accept my inputs and displays the LAT/LONG in a range of about 500 degrees.

In other news: I\'ve been running my probe for about 26 hours now and decided to crash it into the mun after the 'scan' it has done satisfied me enough, as there was insufficient fuel left for a proper landing.

Se the attachment for the Muns surface. The raw data is now about 30MB, which compressed to 7zip is still around 7,5MB. Contact me if you want to incorporate my datapoints into a larger even more complete set.

My completed 10-hour/5k orbit map of the Mun! I let it run while I was at work/writing college papers.

P9aK8.jpg

Pretty damn beautiful if you ask me. Well, for a giant crater-ridden rock anyway. 8)

EDIT: How do I alter this to show up on a grey-scale?

Thanks, I\'ve been able to get my data to display in QuickGrid, the step where I should change Grid Line Coordinates does not work however. It won\'t accept my inputs and displays the LAT/LONG in a range of about 500 degrees.

In other news: I\'ve been running my probe for about 26 hours now and decided to crash it into the mun after the 'scan' it has done satisfied me enough, as there was insufficient fuel left for a proper landing.

Se the attachment for the Muns surface. The raw data is now about 30MB, which compressed to 7zip is still around 7,5MB. Contact me if you want to incorporate my datapoints into a larger even more complete set.

Edit Grid Line Coordinates for

Start W180°0\' and S90°0\'

End E180°0\' and N90°0\'

instead.

The provided mapping tool is quite nifty. However, having hunted down Quickgrid based on that post upthread, I\'m going to have to admit, once I\'ve played around with it for awhile, its countour lines especially make for interesting viewing.

6ZbwC.png

Been mapping nearly constantly since Thursday, though usually at 5x speed or 10x speed.

I was actually pretty surprised to find out that the Munar Prime Meridian doesn\'t separate near and far hemispheres, nor does it sparate leading and trailing hemispheres.

My completed 10-hour/5k orbit map of the Mun! I let it run while I was at work/writing college papers.

P9aK8.jpg

Pretty damn beautiful if you ask me. Well, for a giant crater-ridden rock anyway. 8)

EDIT: How do I alter this to show up on a grey-scale?

Type:

isa_RAM_MapGen.exe grey

In cmd.

Might need to cd to the directory first, so if KSP was in the root of your C drive:

cd..

cd..

cd KSP

cd isa_ram_mapper

Then run the command.

Here\'s my elevation map(s) of Kerbin.

It\'s a bit splotchy, but fairly complete.

a>

North Pole

9mPHc.png

South Pole

uwlad.png

This was collected with a survey satellite at a 250 km polar orbit.

I did some data collection using another 250 km orbit at roughly 55 degrees inclination, but only for a couple of orbits.

Here\'s my elevation map(s) of Kerbin.

It\'s a bit splotchy, but fairly complete.

yVDq3.png

North Pole

9mPHc.png

South Pole

uwlad.png

This was collected with a survey satellite at a 250 km polar orbit.

I did some data collection using another 250 km orbit at roughly 55 degrees inclination, but only for a couple of orbits.

Fixed your first image for you; it had tags that it shouldn\'t have had.

Here is a quick batch script that will walk you through generating your renders how you want, all you have to do is enter the values you want and it will handle the command for you:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64883506/ICF.bat

Place it in the same folder as the mapgen.

Its a bat so if you feel unsafe running it open it in notepad and take a look at the code.

Here\'s my elevation map(s) of Kerbin. It\'s a bit splotchy, but fairly complete.

I want to nitpick at the bolded phrase. A 'complete' map is likely impossible to achieve with this plugin, but we can reach certain resolutions. What\'s a good measure for data coverage? Data points per square area? How can we account for uneven distributions in a given area, like a particular path that\'s been surveyed multiple times?

I ask because I\'d like to use this data (maybe) to build an optimal ground-based relay network for the comm satellite plugin. To do that, I\'ll need pretty accurate height information, and this seems like a more roleplay-friendly method than simply writing myself a script to instantly survey for high points.

A great plugin, I\'ve had much fun collecting inordinate amounts of data. Unfortunately, the mapper has started crashing, giving the stack:

Unhandled Exception: system.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at System.Number.StringToNumber(string str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseDouble(string value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
at System.Double.Parse(string s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at system.Double.Parse(string s, IFormatProvider provider)
at isa_RAM_MapGen.MainClass.Main(string[] args)

This made me think that some formatting error had occurred due to a system or app crash, even though the table had survived previous crashes.

I opened the table up in my favorite spreadsheet program, and got the following warning: 'The Maximum number of rows has been exceeded. Excess rows were not imported!'

My question is this: Is there a maximum limit to how much data i can collect?

Said spreadsheet has 1,048,576 rows in it, apparently the maximum, and my Data.csv is currently 33,673 KB large.

(mid post edit): Notepad does not have the row limitation, I\'m going to search for a formatting error in there until i get a reply or find the formatting error ???

Edit: ONE line had entirely too many spaces before the actual data, enough to artificially add 1KB to the file size.

Guess now is a good a time as any to post some results.

isa_RAM_Mun_topo_azimuthalNP_512x512_0-33295m_scale.png

isa_RAM_Mun_topo_isa_1024x512_0-33295m_scale.png

isa_RAM_Mun_topo_azimuthalSP_512x512_0-33295m_scale.png

Someone should make a program/script that removes multi-entries (they are still there aren\'t they?)

What\'s your criteria for a duplicate entry? The exact latitude and longitude could match, but you could have two points very near each other that are considered distinct. What\'s the rationale for throwing out that data?

Points that are drawn by the mapper to the same pixel even at hyper res are simply useless...

Well, sure, but what if you want a high-res, zoomed-in map of a specific area? You want that data.

What\'s your criteria for a duplicate entry? The exact latitude and longitude could match, but you could have two points very near each other that are considered distinct. What\'s the rationale for throwing out that data?

Looking at the collected data, Its only samples down to one hundredth of a degree. While that may give some error in a matter of a few feet on the surface of the mun, the mapper can not assume any data location beyond the hundredth place, and so may overwrite a pixel with a very slightly different elevation. If you have an extremely large data file, and know you have doubled back on a few places, then it could save you a couple megabytes.

When I use the \'grid\' parameter, the dialog shows \'You must specify using white or black lines, using black\'

hey, i see that too! using white grid lines on an all black map would be helpful

i want to use my data to pick landing sites and stuff, but without the grid refrence being visible it doesnt help that much.

right now i have mostly black space interspersed with data lines.

what about switching the background color to white, and leaving the grid lines black?