[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

I have a few questions and if anyone could answer them so I understand this awesome mod more I\'d be very grateful! :D

1. Why does my map look all stringy, buggy sort of? http://i.imgur.com/GO5Uv.jpg

2. If I send up a MapSat vehicle and put it in orbit, it completes it\'s orbit and it maps along it. If I do 'End Flight' will that data dissapear on the map sat map forever? Or will the data I once collect be stored forever?

3. What is the 'Store Raw Data' option in mapsat?

4. Do mapsat vehicles map if I speed up the game/warp?

5. The PowerTech mapsat thingy. Do I need a MapSat antenna/parabol with it for it to work properly? How do I get it to actually decouple without the decoupler because when I do it it the decoupler sticks on it and flies away along with the PowerTech Mapsat.

Thanks!

1. Why does my map look all stringy, buggy sort of? http://i.imgur.com/GO5Uv.jpg

2. If I send up a MapSat vehicle and put it in orbit, it completes it\'s orbit and it maps along it. If I do 'End Flight' will that data dissapear on the map sat map forever? Or will the data I once collect be stored forever?

It\'s bugged. The gui map data may be deleted.

Or will the data I once collect be stored forever?

It will if you use 'Store Raw Data'.

See the mapsat manual that\'s in the mapsat zip that you have downloaded.

Yes, up to 10x

Do I need a MapSat antenna/parabol with it for it to work properly?

Yes, because PowerTech is not mapsat

How do I get it to actually decouple without the decoupler

See the PowerTech plugin; decouple by 'deploying' it via the part\'s popup menu (click on it with right mouse button).

I think it\'s from lazor. It didn\'t even remove the GUI for me when it exploded once, so it\'s probably still in effect.

Could you see if it maps or only shows the interface?

I assumed that it did but i wasn\'t paying attention.

I still have that scene in place but can\'t reproduce the mapsat thing. That may or may not have to do with the a part from the plane that had the 'lazor system' part on it and that broke off during the landing but now seems to have disappeared.

Either way you\'re probably correct that lazor is causing this long range mapsat thing.

I have a few questions and if anyone could answer them so I understand this awesome mod more I\'d be very grateful! :D

5. The PowerTech mapsat thingy. Do I need a MapSat antenna/parabol with it for it to work properly? How do I get it to actually decouple without the decoupler because when I do it it the decoupler sticks on it and flies away along with the PowerTech Mapsat.

Thanks!

1- That\'s bug, it\'s my priority bug Im hunting but it\'s hiding well, I\'m starting to suspect one of the ksp or unity functions I\'m using will have a chat with nexis if that\'s a possibility.

2- Apart from bugs data should be stored, it just saves the png\'s and reloads them when you next enter a mapsat craft.

3- This enables the csv writing from my previous versions and will store elevaiton + longitude and latitude as raw text data you can use with mapgen.exe to render bigger maps with more options for out of game use.

4- It maps up to 10x speed (3 play symbols in the top left)

5-powertech? I haven\'t named anything powertech so thats not my mod and so i don\'t know what to answer to this. You need my dish to make mapping work, parts are what call the module code.

Not sure if its this or dynasat, but the craft breaks apart when coming out of (time) warp.

I haven\'t had craft fly apart testing the mapsat during dev without other mods installed so I doubt it\'s the mapsat part.

Not sure if its this or dynasat, but the craft breaks apart when coming out of (time) warp.

The PowerSat adapter doesn\'t work anymore for keeping a multi-part sat pointed the right direction; the attached parts don\'t cooperate.

The PowerSat adapter doesn\'t work anymore for keeping a multi-part sat pointed the right direction; the attached parts don\'t cooperate.

Makes sense. My craft are actually pretty large.. My satellites will have to wander through space aimlessly!

'I haven\'t had craft fly apart testing the mapsat during dev without other mods installed so I doubt it\'s the mapsat part.'

I have ruled it down to the dynasat adapter, thanks!

I just dropped off a PowerTech Sattelite along with the MapSat Satellite Dish attached to it. It\'s in orbit of the mun and I deployed it using right-click. However for some reason it just won\'t collect any data. I took Jeb back after dropping off the mapsat and landed him on Kerbin and then I ended the flight. I can still see that the MapSat Satellite is in orbit around the mun though if I start a new flight and check the ISA MapSat Mun screen there\'s no new data being recorded. So in other words, the PowerTech satallite along with the MapSat satellite dish doesn\'t work?

I just dropped off a PowerTech Sattelite along with the MapSat Satellite Dish attached to it. It\'s in orbit of the mun and I deployed it using right-click. However for some reason it just won\'t collect any data. I took Jeb back after dropping off the mapsat and landed him on Kerbin and then I ended the flight. I can still see that the MapSat Satellite is in orbit around the mun though if I start a new flight and check the ISA MapSat Mun screen there\'s no new data being recorded. So in other words, the PowerTech satallite along with the MapSat satellite dish doesn\'t work?

Works

But Orbit must be less 80km to make sense - had good results with a 20x80km, 60° orbit:

guimunisatopo.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

guimunpolarstopo.png

i see that sometimes the mapper does some weird noise on the map that some pixels are not correspond to actual height based on the nearest pixels...it could be because of multiple occasions when i 'overmapped' some already existing partial place...sometimes just spec-s sometimes even whole lines across the path the ship took if it was in higher orbit than last time...what could this be? bug or just feature? is it possible to check and not overwrite the already drawn map-or it\'s too complicated-and lastly...could the plugin use the AA filter to 'smooth' the maps out?

oh and btw...i am not aware of what resolution players play ksp but i have mine on 1680X1050 and so this 400X200 or what is fairly small as i see it...so my suggestion is to have it toggleable...where i can choose to make a big map like 1500X750 and get more accurate results BUT the downside is that i need to map the object longer...and also to make like 200X100 sized maps for quick mapping...i know this makes the area of one pixel on the ground larger or smaller but it could be cool to choose how accurate i want my maps...and even a high res image of kerbins and others height can then also be printed out! now that -of course only fans do- but hey it would be cool! even more when they add more planets and stuff...shows you achievement...this resolution can be toggled in the ui OR if you don\'t want to code for that you can make so to make more varied mapper modules(the dish) and maybe the difference is it\'s scale and weight and ect. and so the bigger the more precise...i mean bigger picture...

this mod is cool and can be even cooler! don\'t stop writing those code segments and learning about programming please.

I restarted the game and then went into the Tracking Station and went into the MapSat Mun Mission which was orbiting. I fast forwarded 5x and behold, it works, nevermind. Everything is working now except now that I\'ve done one rotation around the mun and got that Data I need to place out more probes that map the new area. Though it\'s kind of inefficient to deploy one of these PowerTech MapSats because once they\'ve done their orbit they can\'t get more data. It\'s better to have a ship with fuel in orbit that has a mapsat parabol and once it\'s done a orbit you can just change it and get more data. Am I right?

Also it\'s kind of hard for me to see what\'s what, like if I get an artifact location on the ISA map how am I supposed to know where that location is on the mun when I want to land there?

Great mod btw, I greatly underestimated it :)

Though it\'s kind of inefficient to deploy one of these PowerTech MapSats because once they\'ve done their orbit they can\'t get more data.

It does get more data after one orbit, but depending on altitude of the mapsat and rotation speed of the planet/moon, each subsequent orbit is likely to overlap somewhat with the previous orbit. That effect is more pronounced with Minmus than with Mun.

Be sure that the orbit is tilted relative to the equator, a polar orbit is most efficient for mapping.

Also it\'s kind of hard for me to see what\'s what, like if I get an artifact location on the ISA map how am I supposed to know where that location is on the mun when I want to land there?

Compare the map with the surface features that you see on the actual planet/moon.

It can be a bit of a puzzle but all required info is there.

It does get more data after one orbit, but depending on altitude of the mapsat and rotation speed of the planet/moon, each subsequent orbit is likely to overlap somewhat with the previous orbit. That effect is more pronounced with Minmus than with Mun.

Be sure that the orbit is tilted relative to the equator, a polar orbit is most efficient for mapping.

What does this mean? If I put a Mapper into a polar orbit instead of one around the equator I will map more surface? Does the orbit I put the mapper around change after one orbit? Does the mapper automatically change the orbit or is it because of the muns rotation? Kind of confused but I\'m thankful that you responded.

Olsson, for an equatorial orbit (inclination 0), you only pass over the equator. This is a great orbit for getting to the Mun or Minmus, but it sucks for mapping because you can only map a thin strip at the equator.

If you use a polar orbit (inclination 90), Kerbin will rotate under you and you will pass over a different area each orbit.

Orbits between 0-90 inclination will miss some of the north and south poles. The further away from 90 inclination, the more of the surface, near the poles, will not be mapped.

Hope that helps. :)

After mapping Kerbin, Mun and Minmus i used the rest of the fuel of an upper stage to put my PowerSat/Mapsat combination in to a a Kerbol (sun) orbit.

Was a funny shot - back from Minmus i used Mun for a slingshot .... and it worked.... i got something above 8.000m/s out of that manoever.

Its now in an 12.5x14.6 Bn km 108 day orbit around Kerbol star....and...surprise, surprise.....this is the result:

screenshot101yz.png

What does this mean? If I put a Mapper into a polar orbit instead of one around the equator I will map more surface? Does the orbit I put the mapper around change after one orbit? Does the mapper automatically change the orbit or is it because of the muns rotation? Kind of confused but I\'m thankful that you responded.

Hello Olson

Like Earth is Kerbin rotating around its axis.

A polar orbit will take use of it as you are orbiting ever the same circle (there is no change in this orbit, it will go from pole to pole all the time). But below you Kerbin turns also and the axis of your circle and the axis of Kerbin are 90° apart - they are crossed. So as you orbit the surface below you is moving to the left all the time.

As Kerbal turns 360° in 6h (= one Kerbal day) and your orbit time is much shorter - something like 33m in. at 100.000m you get every orbit a new part of Kerbins surface. Because after 33min. Kerbins rotated about 30° and as your orbit stays the same your mapper will cover the surface ~30° west of the last orbit, ever and ever again.

If you orbit over the equator your axis is ident with kerbin axis and you only get equator surface.

A very spacial orbit you maybe heard about is a geostationary orbit.

Thats wat your Sat-TV is using permanently. The Sat antenna is standing still - but Earth itself not - its turning around its axis in 24h.

So to enable a Sat antenna to stand still the Sat itself has also to turn around the earth in 24h.

There is only one spot, one height and one speed where this is possible - the geostationary orbit - exactly over the equator with an orbit time of 24h the Sat itself will stay forever above the same spot on earth enable your sat antenna to stand still and targeting him.

@Maro & Crashnburn:

[*Don't cuss* -DR ] I was not aware of this and I feel like a retard for it lol. Thanks for responding though I realized this as the forums were down and as I orbited the mun. But this also means that there must be a most efficient altitude orbit to map at before the mun for example rotates too much before you make an orbit around it. Does anyone know this altitude?

Edited by Damion Rayne

I can't save the mapping done. Or I can't open the map. I'm updated to 0.16, Installed a fresh version of this mod, I mapped parts of Kerbin but when I exit the game and launch it later - the map is reset. But when I run the tool with Mono(with mac) it shows the map as it should have been with all the earlier mapping saved. So it seems that the game can't open the .cvs file. The log shows the following: "You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading: Couldn't open file." Why is that?

Please help me ! !

when I exit the game and launch it later - the map is reset.

That is a bug in the mapsat plugin.

But when I run the tool with Mono(with mac) it shows the map as it should have been with all the earlier mapping saved. So it seems that the game can't open the .cvs file. The log shows the following: "You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading: Couldn't open file." Why is that?

I think the error message is about the plugin not being able to load the gui map images due to aforementioned bug.

The plugin is not designed to load data from the csv files (those can get very large so it would take very to long to create the gui map images that way.

That is a bug in the mapsat plugin.

I think the error message is about the plugin not being able to load the gui map images due to aforementioned bug.

The plugin is not designed to load data from the csv files (those can get very large so it would take very to long to create the gui map images that way.

Meaning that the mod is useless with this bug? Isn't there a way around?

Meaning that the mod is useless with this bug? Isn't there a way around?

It collects data from which maps can be generated, i think that's not useless.

I suppose once mapping of a body is complete you can generate a small map from the data, rescale and rename it to replace the gui topo map for that body and the make the file read-only so that it can not be overwritten due to the bug. Then that gui topo map should always show up. I have not yet tried this myself.