[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Innsewerants indicated in the 4.0 blog post that he had a lot going on in his life, and his last online activity was June 5th. Unfortunately, he might have needed to give up on KSP and this mod for more important matters, which sucks because to my knowledge he was the only one working on mapping. Seeing as the mod is so popular and people are scrambling over getting the dated builds to work, it would be amazing if he showed up and either updated the community on the mod progress or formally handed the project off to someone(or anyone who wanted). Either way, its a great mod and it would be a shame to let all of his awesome work go to waste because he was unable to continue development and new Squad updates caused problems in the working builds.

I installed MapSat and I can place the items on my ships but I cant find/open the menu, why?

Check the bottom left corner to the right of the stage section, there should be a small box along the bottom with a drafting compass symbol. Took me a while to find it my first go.

Innsewerants indicated in the 4.0 blog post that he had a lot going on in his life, and his last online activity was June 5th. Unfortunately, he might have needed to give up on KSP and this mod for more important matters, which sucks because to my knowledge he was the only one working on mapping. Seeing as the mod is so popular and people are scrambling over getting the dated builds to work, it would be amazing if he showed up and either updated the community on the mod progress or formally handed the project off to someone(or anyone who wanted). Either way, its a great mod and it would be a shame to let all of his awesome work go to waste because he was unable to continue development and new Squad updates caused problems in the working builds.

I totally agree.

I managed to get it to work, I just installed it wrong. Now I have run into another problem, mapping Kerbin, Mun and Minmus all went fine but for some reason I cant map Laythe I used this for a proper orbit but im just getting a black map. Does it need to be in range of Kerbin or something to make a map?

Um...are you sure you turned on "SCN"? Just checking. :P

Um...are you sure you turned on "SCN"? Just checking. :P

I did yes, anyways I restarted the game and it worked, sorry for cluttering the thread with "useless" stuff. I cant delete my posts before someone responds when I need mod aproval to post.

Well turning on CSV writing is a button on the in-game interface so that part is simple. As for not having CSV files, Ill let someone else respond.

Thanks for your reply. By the way, is it supposed to improve performance, or is it a candidate for the bad performance I currently have? It is unplayable while scanning, but if I enable anomalies, then it stutters so hard that even leaving the computer scanning when I'm out will result in either a crash, or very few data acquired. :( When not scanning, the games runs quite smoothly with normal sized ships, in HD resolution and decent graphics.

Edited by Korb Biakustra

It works fine right now, so what's there to miss? :P

'Fine' to you is a high frequency of crashes when using map sat parts?

I've heard the talk about removing mods to free memory but, just no! I do not feel it is justified to give up the large variety of parts I have to allow me to use a single part.

Thanks for your reply. By the way, is it supposed to improve performance, or is it a candidate for the bad performance I currently have? It is unplayable while scanning, but if I enable anomalies, then it stutters so hard that even leaving the computer scanning when I'm out will result in either a crash, or very few data acquired. :( When not scanning, the games runs quite smoothly with normal sized ships, in HD resolution and decent graphics.

Right now mapsat is a memory hog when active, so it is likely the cause of your crashing. Especially if you have any other mods installed.

Check your artefacts.dat file in the Mapsat's plugin folder. I remember the dev version had an issue with constantly adding already found anomalies to the file so it continually got bigger and caused issues. Your options are to delete it (Mapsat will generate a new, empty one) or open it in notepad and trim the duplicate entries (which will likely be time intensive).

Right now mapsat is a memory hog when active, so it is likely the cause of your crashing. Especially if you have any other mods installed.
OK, so everybody is experiencing the same issues right now. Too bad, I miss this mod so much. :/
Check your artefacts.dat file in the Mapsat's plugin folder. I remember the dev version had an issue with constantly adding already found anomalies to the file so it continually got bigger and caused issues. Your options are to delete it (Mapsat will generate a new, empty one) or open it in notepad and trim the duplicate entries (which will likely be time intensive).
Thanks for the tip!

By the way, below is my currently ongoing scan of the Mun, 80 Km orbit:

ZXjNztxl.jpg 2ALAjLLl.jpg

Are these white margins (high altitude) at the poles normal? I don't think I'm seeing something like that when looking directly to the mun from space. Is it a problem with Mapsat Dev build? Notice that the satellite is overwriting some old data (the green equatorial data in the background), which I suspect were the data for the old Mun, and which looked more relevant.

Edited by Korb Biakustra

Are these white margins (high altitude) at the poles normal? I don't think I'm seeing something like that when looking directly to the mun from space. Is it a problem with Mapsat Dev build? Notice that the satellite is overwriting some old data (the green equatorial data in the background), which I suspect were the data for the old Mun, and which looked more relevant.

That's a combination of old and new data caused by the terrain update in .21, so you need to clear out the old.

Go into your mapsat settings (under Kerbalpedia) and make sure the option to update hilo.dat is enabled, then quit out of the game and go into the plugin data folder (ISA/Plugin/PluginData/ISA_Mapsat) and delete hilo.dat and any existing map files (the .PNG files). Restart the game and your maps should be normal.

This is much better now, it even reduced the stutter problem, thanks a lot!

May I delete the hilo.dat that sits in the KSP\PluginData\isa_mapsat folder too? I renamed it and it seems to work so I guess I can remove it, but perhaps I've lost some features?

Edited by Korb Biakustra

This is much better now, it even reduced the stutter problem, thanks a lot!

May I delete the hilo.dat that sits in the KSP\PluginData\isa_mapsat folder too? I renamed it and it seems to work so I guess I can remove it, but perhaps I've lost some features?

No, it's regenerated when you load a vessel to the launch pad or runway. But this takes some time, so don't worry if your computer hangs for a minute or two.

Really want to use this mod, but im not throwing parts I intend on using out just to save memory. I already threw out all the parts I have no intention of using to save memory and it still crashes the game when I try to make a mapsat vehicle. I can use/make any other vehicle i want, but the instant i try to launch any vehicle with the dish on it, the game will refuse to launch it and freeze up and has to be manually shut down through task manager.

Is there a way to get less data in the .csv files when acquiring raw data? I'm trying to scan Kerbin and I want to have the ability to compute a map with a scale and a grid, not only the texture without legend, but my .csv file is growing lightning fast, it's already 1.6 GB and the scanning is not completed yet. I'm sure I would obtain a map just as accurate with a third of the rows in the .csv file.

maybe I'm just dense, but I can't seem to get this to work. I installed the mapsat dish on a probe, launched it into a 200km orbit, and then nothing. My probe is powered, there's no context menu on the mapsat part, and there are no new ui elements. And yes, I've checked to make sure everything is installed in the correct place (KSP_win/GameData/ISA MapSat)

That's a combination of old and new data caused by the terrain update in .21, so you need to clear out the old.

Go into your mapsat settings (under Kerbalpedia) and make sure the option to update hilo.dat is enabled, then quit out of the game and go into the plugin data folder (ISA/Plugin/PluginData/ISA_Mapsat) and delete hilo.dat and any existing map files (the .PNG files). Restart the game and your maps should be normal.

Thanks for the pro tip! I had the same issue so I deleted what you suggested and presto:

e6ev75.png

I really hope Innsewerants comes back... I would love to see this style of mapping used for future resources!

JS

Thanks for the pro tip! I had the same issue so I deleted what you suggested and presto:

e6ev75.png

I really hope Innsewerants comes back... I would love to see this style of mapping used for future resources!

JS

Yes, absolutely.

I like and enjoy the Kethane mod, but I much prefer this mod's approach to exploration. To me, imho, the detection of and location of any resource should be controlled by factors such as proximity to resource (rough idea from high orbit, better local from lower orbit, closer idea from atmospheric search and then precise from ground work. And of course, still have the ability to miss it or to have it previously escaped and nothing there. Like real life.

I am currently using the 3.3.4 'unofficial' version from SpacePort on ksp 0.21.1

I opt'd for this method for a couple of reasons. One being that this version uses far less ram and thus I can keep most of my kerzillion mod's in-game. As I run this mod, at x10, I keep building the .csv file. After every so often, I will pause the game and pull the .csv file out to a separate directory, and then un-pause the mission. this allows me to keep the .csv file down to a size that will not explode. Previously I had let the mission(s) run so long that the .csv would hit the 2Gbyte wall and crash. I then concatenate the separately named .csv files (kerbin_elevation_part01.csv, ...... part05.csv, for example) into a large (really large) file and pass that file through a small routine I wrote that reads all data, removes duplicated data and then creates a new raw .csv file to be run through the original ISA_MapGen.exe ....

this method allows me to control the precision of the map that I want, while keeping maximum mods inGame. I can also take this data file into other processing software to do analysis on it as well.

No need to get all hysterical. If you installed the mod correctly, there's a button in the lower-left corner with a pair of compasses. Click on it to open the Mapsat interface.

sorry it took me so long to reply but I forgot about this forum but anyway there is no button there