[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Not if you use any of Razor's Parts/Plugins. That allows you to set it to "far" which is 95 km.

That's not exactly a lot either if you'd want to play another ship while the mapper is orbiting somewhere else.

--

@artao, It's the intended function, I thought about multisat mapping for a while which would also solve your problem but it would mean major rewriting of code. I have quite a large to do list already right now and don't get enough time in on working on Mapsat as is.

It might be a future feature, if I find a slot somewhere when I can really put some time in on Mapsat.

Perhaps a compromise like needing to be around or on the same planet. Getting the elevation data is also not the lightest of operations.

I have been dedicating most of my time since I've resumed work and got back in touch here to performance to cope with the future high resolution maps. It's going well but I don't dare to predict if there is enough headway for multisat throughout the Kerbolar system and if there is there's also adding new map types to consider, every type needs it's own texture and texture applies are not a light operation, that's beyond my control as it doesn't seem to matter if the texture apply has 1 or 1000 changed pixels.

So a definite very maybe in 5.0 :)

For now I'd suggest you use 50x timewarp and try to find the best mapping orbit for whatever you are mapping.

You don't need to do it all in one sitting, Mapsat won't forget the maps ;)

@Deep Silence, I'm looking into making it use electricity for the next update.

@castun, No idea, maybe he made an error in the cfg and it's not loading properly? It's in the right category in my dev version. Categories changed somewhere between now and last update. Most of what Mick said might also be true except for one correction.

If the hilo.dat file is missing you won't get white or garbled textures, KSP will seem to freeze for a long time as Mapsat rebuilds it. It takes a while and ksp looks crashed until it's done. That's why I include a hilo.dat. The rebuilding is meant more for me as the developer.

Hey, thanks for the response. I hope multisat mapping works in the future. Not knowing about the fact that the craft must be focussed to map, I immediately set TWO mapsats going around Kerbal LOL .. I guess I'll send the second one off to Mun, if it has enough fuel left.

For now I focus the mapsat, set it to 50x time accel, and jump onto the youtuber or something for awhile. Polar orbit seems the best eh, and high up.

I totally understand the concern over processing power required. I hope that can be worked out.

@innsewerants I know how you feel getting mentioned by someone else. Thanks for reading my post.

I realy do like mapsat and thank you for that. one of the required mods as far as I am concerned.

I just want to be clear about the Eeloo thing I experienced, not sure if I need to clarify anything but here I go anyways.

My Hilo.dat file did exist but when I opened it there was no entry for Eeloo.

Thanks for letting us know what to expect if its missing.

In the version I downloaded from the spaceport (uploads_2012_12_ISA_MapSat-3.3.4.zip) there is no Eeloo entry in the hilo.dat file in it either.

It may be worth just checking the Dev copy so the new version has it, maybe .. i dont know .. im not a modder and know little of the magic you wield.

It's possible my exclusion of some scanning functions when scanning is turned of is faulty in 3.3.4, I'm not entirely sure as I haven't worked on 3.x code in ages after deciding to switch to a new source for the next version, if so, my apologies I'm trying not to get distracted fixing the old version instead of finishing the next one.

The anomaly scanning has been rewritten in my dev version and this bug doesn't apply any more in that.

I don't think that's the issue, at least not on mine. It turns the game into a slideshow at launch if map drawing is enabled. Turn it, off, and the lag goes away. I'm gonna play around with it a bit and report back later. :|

Edit: Quick report:

Re-activating at 17km caused massive lag. At 33km caused maybe the slightest, most minor of hitches. Once. Seems to be a 'scanning at low altitude' problem. Since the scanning is enabled by default...

Edit2: The lag breakpoint is somewhere between 25 and 26km.

Edit3: Don't occur during descent, only initial launch...that's weird.

Edited by Tiron

Tiron, the issue is that there is more than one anomaly in 'range' at KSC. Thus during Launch at KSC the mapsat causes issues. Landing won't matter since unless you are landing straight down on to the Launchpad, you will not get the same result.

It has to do with a bug that happens when mapsat sees more than one anomaly at the same point.

Tiron, the issue is that there is more than one anomaly in 'range' at KSC. Thus during Launch at KSC the mapsat causes issues. Landing won't matter since unless you are landing straight down on to the Launchpad, you will not get the same result.

It has to do with a bug that happens when mapsat sees more than one anomaly at the same point.

Well there's about a dozen people complaining about it in the comments on the spaceport, and nothing helpful comes up on a google search. Given it's such an easy work around...ought to be a note somewhere.

Greetings

I been having a few strange crashes as soon as i put on an ISA mapsat module onto my spaceships, Get Thread Conect failed is the error.

Do you have any mods other than isa mapsat installed?

Well there's about a dozen people complaining about it in the comments on the spaceport, and nothing helpful comes up on a google search. Given it's such an easy work around...ought to be a note somewhere.

I never bothered to make an account on the spaceport. If you have, please post a comment in there letting them know to simply turn off the mapping while launching.

Noob question, can I view the data i've collected from MapSat on other vessels, for instances of I wanted to land on Mun, I would first send a map sat probe, map it could I see that info on my lander that doesn't have the mapsat dish?

Noob question, can I view the data i've collected from MapSat on other vessels, for instances of I wanted to land on Mun, I would first send a map sat probe, map it could I see that info on my lander that doesn't have the mapsat dish?

Thats what the gps is for, which should be next to the dish in the assembly building.

What a coincidence, I was looking for the best mapping orbit on Pol and Bop and found there isn't really a good orbit, so I thought I'd post the links I found for anyone looking for orbit info, they haven't been posted in a while. They give essentially the same info.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/27999-ISA-Mapsat-Ideal-and-Non-Ideal-Altitudes

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aicph3-KYrXadElSbUVDUU50MlZBR1B4R0o5OUUyNXc#gid=9

Long story short, Moho, Tylo, Bop and Pol do not have a best orbit, from the first link:

What's the deal with Moho, Tylo, Pol, and Bop?

These planets (yes, I know only Moho's a planet and the other ones are moons) have really low rotation speeds. The bad news is that there aren't any really good sweet spots for these bodies. The good news is that there aren't any really bad resonant spots for these bodies, either! That means that pretty much any altitude is guaranteed to generate a complete map as fast as any other altitude. If you want a specific resolution, use the formula

SwathWidth = 19.2 * altitude / Radius

Resolution = SwathWidth / 9

Edited by Dweller_Benthos

Possibly the mod is not completly installed correctly.It sounds like he has the parts in the correct game directory (and knows how to edit them so they show up in a different place ingame).

To me is sounds like he is missing the ISA_mapsat.dll file. The .dll file should be placed in the "game directory/Plugins" folder.

ie: game directory/Plugins/IsaMapsat.dll

There should also be a directory for the data collected (plugindata). The "PluginData" folder should be placed in the "game directory/Plugindata/ folder.

ie: game directory/Plugindata/IsaMapsat/hilo.dat (and mapgen files)

I think if the mapsat button is missing from your flights then its the dll file thats missing.I think if your maps are being created as all white then its the hilo file thats missing.

I could be wrong but that's what I'de try .. if it makes sense.

Turned out he somehow downloaded an older version of the mod. After getting the latest version, it works just fine.

Also, I was looking to add the GPS functionality to an avionics nosecone (as well as RemoteTech and MechJeb), but it doesn't seem like the part.cfg has any special module or anything specifically for this. How then does the mod identify what parts have the MapSat and GPS functionality? Is it hardcoded into the .dll files? Am I missing something or is it just not possible?

I realize I could just slap the GPS box on the craft, but in the effort to reduce overall parts count, it made sense to me to try and put it in the nosecone.

Reading about some of the issues that users are having with the instant on scanning and fitting of the part, I was thinking about some ideas about this mod. It needs to change the dish part in to something more like what they use on real satellites. Say like a sensor box or pod that has a door that can be opened when in use. This would keep the sat from scanning until you turned it on with an action key. A box would be used if you wanted to mount it directly to your probe body. Or use a round pod that can rotate 360 and tilt 180 as well a door that can be opened. You could mount this to a folding or telescoping arm that can be deployed after launch. Then use the box or pod and fill it with different sensors of your choosing. Want a visible light camera? Need a kethane scanner? Want to scan in infrared or any wavelength? Add any sensor you want when someone makes it. Make them in different sizes for adding more than one sensor to that pod or what your needs require. Heck, add more than one pod. Then go one step further, and have your sat keep the data until it is able to beam the images back to Kerbin before you can look at them using something similar to the RemoteTech mod. Just some ideas.

Any ideas why my satellite is working but I can't seem to get the GPS to attach to anything? I can see it but no matter where I try placing it it just turns red. Any help would be much appreciated.

Any ideas why my satellite is working but I can't seem to get the GPS to attach to anything? I can see it but no matter where I try placing it it just turns red. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sometimes you have to spin or rotate the part so it's not clipping inside what you're placing it on.

Reading about some of the issues that users are having with the instant on scanning and fitting of the part, I was thinking about some ideas about this mod. It needs to change the dish part in to something more like what they use on real satellites. Say like a sensor box or pod that has a door that can be opened when in use. This would keep the sat from scanning until you turned it on with an action key. A box would be used if you wanted to mount it directly to your probe body. Or use a round pod that can rotate 360 and tilt 180 as well a door that can be opened. You could mount this to a folding or telescoping arm that can be deployed after launch. Then use the box or pod and fill it with different sensors of your choosing. Want a visible light camera? Need a kethane scanner? Want to scan in infrared or any wavelength? Add any sensor you want when someone makes it. Make them in different sizes for adding more than one sensor to that pod or what your needs require. Heck, add more than one pod. Then go one step further, and have your sat keep the data until it is able to beam the images back to Kerbin before you can look at them using something similar to the RemoteTech mod. Just some ideas.

This would actually be pretty awesome, but thinking of the time it would take to develop I guess it will be a while until we see something like that.

Hey gang, anyone else having issues with the output? Re-installed the mod with 19.1 after forgetting to save EVERYTHING I already had, including beautiful time rendered maps at high Rez (Doh'), but for some reason

my polar argument is slapping two poles on top of each other now, albeit slightly offset.

Thanks for any thoughts!

How's the update for this one? I'm anxiously waiting a fix for the lag problem this mod causes when loading ships. Maybe we could get a link to the dev build?

you can fix it yourself. Simply click the Compass icon, and turn OFF mapping while on the launch pad.

there. done. fixed.

Turn it back on when you are in orbit.