[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Even if you dislike the csv function, please keep the raw data function in later versions. Its one of the mainfeatures that I'm able to create high detailled maps beside the KSP client or import raw data in other tools.

It´s the same for me. Creating .csv´s is a main feature for me, so please don´t drop it, even if it is laggy. Patience is a virtue ;). And anybody not interested in raw-data is not affected by it´s quirks ;)

Don't worry I won't drop the csv writing and I'll make it mroe clear in the documentation when the final is done that it's just a time consuming operation and that means framedrops. Atm though it's simply also just very not optimized at all really *cough. It's fine for the old resolutions but I'm scanning a lot more coordinates to keep the gui maps nice, it takes a bit to compensate for switching to 2048x1024 maps and the csv routine has not been tweaked since the old small maps in 3.3.4

Filewriting takes a lot longer than my gui stuff so it really needs some tweakage before I'll take the "Broken" sticker off of it.

I'm currently working on a perl script which is importing the csv to an sql database every few minutes, so the csv function is a must have for me. Thanks if you keep it. Doesn't matter for me if it's a bit laggy while scanning optical in the same time.

Now I have another question, I'm on mun now, scanning since an hour. Does anyone know why my scan has so much missing lines? Orbit was 300km at the beginning (left side) and is now 120km. Changing inclination and resolution did not change anything. Tried a resolution 200, 250 and 450. Anyone has a clue?

Mun_ISA_Topo.png

Try 100, yes, seriously. I had it on 100 for a really long time. I only upped it because my machine can handle it without getting unacceptable spacing.

IS this with csv on? and with what timewarp?

Also whats your fps like / system specs.

Curious ;)

I'm wanting to show Mapsat on youtube again, that would make it easier to compare performance to my machine for others as well. I just lack the diskspace for the huge files you get from recording at 720p

Come to think of it if this was at 1x speed this might actually be your script doing it, the io functions don't take kindly to programs other then unity itself reading files that are in use.

If you had csv writing on it's that, it's considered broken, the gaps you see are from how much longer the scan takes with filewriting on, so you travel a much further distance between scans. See the large explanation I gave a page or 2 ago.

For everyone: In general about the scanresolution setting:

One thing you need to understand is that the scanResolution isn't the distance in gaps along your path of movement, it's the number of measurements in the scanning line that's perpendicular to your movement direction. There is a trade off, the higher the scan resolution the more measure points the scanline perpendicular to your direction of motion, but this means the scanline takes longer to complete so the resolution along your direction of movement becomes less.

The best way to optimize I find is to zoom in on your new map, start the scanning go to settings and lower the scanRes as much as possible until you start to see gaps in the perpendicular scanline at some latitude you want solid-ish after first pass (it changes on the fly when you save the settings) and then turn it back up a small notch to get it solid again.

I might rename things to make this more clear.

Ever increasing your scan resolution will actually decrease the resolution along the scan path.

the trick is in finding the right balance which depends on body orbited, altitude, machine specs, what else is running etc.

In your case I mostly think it's because you're using the csv writing it's too slow.

Edited by Innsewerants

Got down to 100 resolution rate, but this breakes only the lines horrizontally like this:

- - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - -

But I have the same thing with missing lines :(

No time compression, the whole map was made in realtime. The fps I dont know (is there any way to show the fps in ksp or must I install fraps?), but I own a high end PC and all runs very smooth. Raw writing was off, but when its on I have the missing lines also in the raw data. The upload ist the original ingame png. Strange, uh?

Trying out the development version. A great improvement, though kerbalpedia feels a little bit redundant now with the map changes in 0.20.

For what my 0.02 kerbal monetary units are worth, though, performance still suffers when there's more than one dish on the ship, probably even worse than in the previous version -- and it clearly improves as you remove them one by one. There's indeed no reason to have more than one on one ship, but there's all the reason in the world to send multiple probes to Jool system on a single carrier ship if you want to map the whole system of moons in one transfer window.

Also, sometimes, the plugin appears to be confused about the direction the dish is passing across the surface. This is quite apparent when mapping Minmus from a higher altitude, (300-500km) as while the orbit has a perfect 90 degree inclination, the path drawn on the map looks fairly odd -- and sometimes, segments of the pathway come in vertically instead of horizontally as they do normally, as if the orbit had a zero inclination for a brief moment.

P.S. It might just be my imagination, but even once you detach a mapping probe and leave it in orbit to continue on to the next target, it still affects physics framerate elsewhere. Not sure if this is even possible in theory, but that is how it feels.

Restarted the KSP client, but did not fix it. Did anyone else realtime mun scans with version 4? I do not have this problem on kerbin, only on mun and only during realtime scan.

I believe I understand what you're saying. At altitude X you're looking at a swath of land Y meters across. Let's say you're moving north, the path you'll be looking at as you move could be this wide:

| |

Let's say each column is 1 meter. If you had your scan resolution set to 10, it would look like this:

| | | | | | | | | | |

This leaves the "gaps" in the scanline. If the swath of land is 20 meters wide, you'd have to set your scan resolution to at least 20 to avoid having gaps:

|||||||||||||||||||||

So, the key is to find out how high you can set your scan resolution without making it take too long to repeat (causing vertical instead of horizontal gaps if you're moving north) at your desired time warp. Once you have that figured out, you can determine which altitude to do your scanning at. e.g. If your scan resolution is 250, you move to an altitude that makes the swath of land (the width of the area that your scanline covers) is 250 meters across. Since we know the scan area is 16 degrees, you can use some simple trigonometry to determine what your altitude should be.

Is that close to correct?

Edited by itsme86

Trying out the development version. A great improvement, though kerbalpedia feels a little bit redundant now with the map changes in 0.20.

For what my 0.02 kerbal monetary units are worth, though, performance still suffers when there's more than one dish on the ship, probably even worse than in the previous version -- and it clearly improves as you remove them one by one. There's indeed no reason to have more than one on one ship, but there's all the reason in the world to send multiple probes to Jool system on a single carrier ship if you want to map the whole system of moons in one transfer window.

Also, sometimes, the plugin appears to be confused about the direction the dish is passing across the surface. This is quite apparent when mapping Minmus from a higher altitude, (300-500km) as while the orbit has a perfect 90 degree inclination, the path drawn on the map looks fairly odd -- and sometimes, segments of the pathway come in vertically instead of horizontally as they do normally, as if the orbit had a zero inclination for a brief moment.

P.S. It might just be my imagination, but even once you detach a mapping probe and leave it in orbit to continue on to the next target, it still affects physics framerate elsewhere. Not sure if this is even possible in theory, but that is how it feels.

Leave scanning off when still in range of each other? (SCN) button. That's why it's there :)

It's not really confused most likely. There are a few instances this happens.

On intitial flight start it's default orientated to a course of 000° and it needs to fly a bit to get the data for a course over land calculation. So it always starts flight with a horizontal line for a 000° course and might draw once or twice while switching to the actual course value.

It can seem confused around the poles but it's not, your course over ground quickly turns 180° as you get near and pass the pole (e.g. from heading 000° north quickly turning to 180° south course, so the scan line spins with it accordingly, it actually gets the poles filled in better and faster this way by doing a sweep around over these polar singularities.

It can also happen when you are leaving the orbit of a planet going along it's rotation (launching eastward on kerbin to an escape trajectory e.g), as you get further out your speed over land will decrease, become zero and your course over land will actually switch direction as you are now flying almost straight away but the planet is rotating beneath you, your path relative to land has reversed, and the scanline rotates accordingly and follows the new course.

The same can happen if you approach a planet for an intercept depending on what angle you approach it from compared to it's rotation.

Very high timewarp will throw it off probably, it's not recommended to go beyond 100000x timewarp generally, and not beyond 50000x if your machine isn't the most powerful

on the ps, if it's in range then yes it will even be available in your interface unless I changed that and forgot.

Anyhow I think I will call it quits for now with post release forum and blog lurking and responding, I really need some sleep and to unwire my brain first.

Any more problems, questions and stuff will have to wait for tomorrow.

Cheers, I'll be back!

Edited by Innsewerants

Leave scanning off when still in range of each other? (SCN) button. That's why it's there :)

It's not really confused most likely. There are a few instances this happens.

The same can happen if you approach a planet for an intercept depending on what angle you approach it from compared to it's rotation.

I am pretty sure it did that multiple times while my probe was in a stable ~400km polar orbit over Minmus. :) Going closer made it stop doing that.

Is there access in the API to the games built in knowledge base? Would it be possible in the MapSat plugin to disable data for planets you have not yet put an ISA MapSat module (that functions) in SOI of?

Might add a reason to start sending probes out and around

Regarding the lines in the scan, are you guys running faster than 3x again? Because I have just reinstalled ISA and found that running at 4x puts gaps in the resulting scan, but lower than that it's solid.

Now I need to find out why I can only do a few minutes (real time) scan before KSP fatally crashes unfortunately for me :(

Innsewerants, you mentioned in the blog that your mac tester isn't around? If you need any mac testing done – let me know. I am a proud mac user, love this mod, and the school year is coming to a close, so I've got plenty of motivation and time! :)

You're not Thunderfoot from youtube are you? I ask because of the name :D

I'm currently working on a perl script which is importing the csv to an sql database every few minutes, so the csv function is a must have for me. Thanks if you keep it. Doesn't matter for me if it's a bit laggy while scanning optical in the same time.

Now I have another question, I'm on mun now, scanning since an hour. Does anyone know why my scan has so much missing lines? Orbit was 300km at the beginning (left side) and is now 120km. Changing inclination and resolution did not change anything. Tried a resolution 200, 250 and 450. Anyone has a clue?

for munar mapping ive found 118-122km orbit at 88deg inclination is working perty good (im runnin it on x10 warp)

I used to have good distance/inclination info for each planet, but the new ISA maps and sat dish seem to have changed them a bit

I should mention im also running at 800 scan resolution for mun atm...still getting used to this new awesomeness =P

Edited by KhaosCorp

I been noticing some high lag when I change between vessles with a dish on em. Ive also been running all my sats at 500+ resolution. Try turning the scan resolution down real low, make sure scaning is off to before ya change off a mapsat vessel...been helping the load lag Im seeing, hope it helps =)

Rats. The dev version is freezing KSP anytime I try to load a craft with the dish or the GPS. Very strange. I don't even have a crash log to examine... it just freezes.

I saw the same thing. I thought it was just me. I waited 5 minutes for the launch pad to finish coming up, and it didn't. KSP was frozen with 100% CPU core utilization. It happened repeatedly, so I reverted to the old version.

I saw the same thing. I thought it was just me. I waited 5 minutes for the launch pad to finish coming up, and it didn't. KSP was frozen with 100% CPU core utilization. It happened repeatedly, so I reverted to the old version.

I set up a second KSP install to do some testing. Added Mapsat as the sole addon to a clean copy, basically, and sent a Kerbal X up with a dish on it to make sure the mod worked. It did. Then I added back all my mods, one by one, and my parts, to see if I could find a conflict. I didn't. So after I moved my save file over to the test install, I checked one of my orbiting mapsats that had frozen the system before. It worked fine.

So I've got no clue what was going on with the freezing. I'll just go ahead and blame aliens and/or Bigfoot.

EDIT: So of course KSP crashed when I tabbed out of it to post this.....

EDIT 2: And it's freezing in the test install now. Damn you, Bigfoot!!!!

EDIT 3: Here's the output log text from the last freeze incident. It looks like it's freezing when Mapsat is loading known anomalies, or right after that. If it helps, ISA, I can post a full output log.

Mapsat Version: X4r1

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Mapsat OS: WindowsPlayer

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Mapsat ksp dir:D:/KSP_win_test/KSP_Data/../

Mapsat: Loading known anomalies

Edited by daver4470

Maybe it's easier to find out any conflicts if the used mods are known.

I use:

Aviation Lights

BBI Lights

CrewMainifest

Graphotron

ISA MapSat

KSPX

MechJeb2

and some Flags

no conflicts and no problems.

Maybe it's easier to find out any conflicts if the used mods are known.

I use:

Aviation Lights

BBI Lights

CrewMainifest

Graphotron

ISA MapSat

KSPX

MechJeb2

and some Flags

no conflicts and no problems.

I have CrewManifest, Graphotron, and MechJeb out of that list. And a ton more.

I think I've proven that it's a mod conflict, though -- I copied my test install and removed everything except for the bare minimum addons necessary to keep the mapsat from despawning. No freeze.

So now the long slog of removing things one by one to figure out the culprit... I'll report on what I find.

Weird thing is happening to me. I put a ship with a dish in orbit, and clicked on the icon - it showed the menu, map etc. Map was empty of course, i could see only my position and position of KSC - so far so good. But it did not scan. On map there was only a tiny blue sliver on the equator, and then nada - black field. Position marker was moving, map mode could be changed, but still no scanning. So i launched second ship. It added another tiny smudge and stopped too. Orbit was fairly standard - 75x86 km nearly equatorial, 50x time warp max. Changing inclination to about 10 degrees did nothing. What gives? Do i have to change something in the options? I use Win 7 64.

Weird thing is happening to me. I put a ship with a dish in orbit, and clicked on the icon - it showed the menu, map etc. Map was empty of course, i could see only my position and position of KSC - so far so good. But it did not scan. On map there was only a tiny blue sliver on the equator, and then nada - black field. Position marker was moving, map mode could be changed, but still no scanning. So i launched second ship. It added another tiny smudge and stopped too. Orbit was fairly standard - 75x86 km nearly equatorial, 50x time warp max. Changing inclination to about 10 degrees did nothing. What gives? Do i have to change something in the options? I use Win 7 64.

You need to orbit much higher than that. Try a 300km orbit at between 80-90deg inclination.