[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

I've got a wee problem with my version of Mapsat. All of the models work fine, I can staple them to my ships, no problem. The only thing is, the mapping menu doesn't show up anywhere. Anyone have any theories on how to fix that?

Ok. still workin this all out again.....things have changed with the new maps and scan resolution but.....(please not that im trying to find good spots for 'set it and forget it' afk scans)

@Scot....did ya turn the scanner on? it starts off, unlike the old dish

Kerbin= 312km circ orbit at inclinatin of 83ish deg, scan res at about 800 and x10warp

Mun= 120km (ish, still playing with this one, I thing maybe a tad higher....idk) at 86.5deg inclination 600-800 scan res and x10warp

Minmus = still workin on this one.....85deg seems about right for inclination, got my sat at 65km....needs to be higher

keep in mind im no scott manly, I did no math...im simply playing around with my sats and seeing what seems to work

OSX here.

My MapSat satellite stopped scanning. The ones at kerbin are appr. 400km orbit and the one in the mun was at 300km, i reduced orbit just now but still now mapping.

It DID work tho, it just stopped at some point.

Update on the issues I was having (see earlier post):

I've figured out that my freezing issue is a memory problem. To make a long troubleshooting story short, removing a bunch of parts unfroze everything, and I was able to refreeze things by turning up the texture graphics. That's pretty much conclusive evidence (for me) that it's a recurring memory allocation issue that I've run into before. (I have waaaaay too many parts. It's an addiction.)

Mine is working fine. I go, I scan and the map appears overwriting the background but the weird thing is that the image it overwrites is the one saying there is no map data...

I`m scared to change anything because it *just* works

mechjeb 2, novapunch, telemachus, alarm clock, manifest, damned robotics, kethane, subassembly, empty fuel tanks, protractor, fusion reactor, kspx, improved solid rockets, ampyear, CORE, TAC fuel balancer

all working and all working together.

Can someone tell me where to download a working MapSat for 0.20? Sorry if this was mentioned before, but I didn't find it in the first ten pages of this thread, and I'm too lazy to read all 103 pages...

Update on the issues I was having (see earlier post):

I've figured out that my freezing issue is a memory problem. To make a long troubleshooting story short, removing a bunch of parts unfroze everything, and I was able to refreeze things by turning up the texture graphics. That's pretty much conclusive evidence (for me) that it's a recurring memory allocation issue that I've run into before. (I have waaaaay too many parts. It's an addiction.)

I'm thinking they may be a memory leak in the latest version of KSP. My friend doesn't run any parts packs, only a few mods like MechJeb, RemoteTech, and ISA MapSat. He's noticed that although he's never suffered a freeze or crash, his performance steadily gets worse. I, on the other hand, use several packs such as NovaPunch and B9 Aerospace, as well as those others. And even though I don't have any giant ships with a large number or variety of parts, I will eventually freeze up or crash (usually without a crash log too which never happened before) after an hour or so, and usually only when I go to switch craft.

I'm thinking they may be a memory leak in the latest version of KSP. My friend doesn't run any parts packs, only a few mods like MechJeb, RemoteTech, and ISA MapSat. He's noticed that although he's never suffered a freeze or crash, his performance steadily gets worse. I, on the other hand, use several packs such as NovaPunch and B9 Aerospace, as well as those others. And even though I don't have any giant ships with a large number or variety of parts, I will eventually freeze up or crash (usually without a crash log too which never happened before) after an hour or so, and usually only when I go to switch craft.

The game will freeze if I go back to the tracking station and select a different flight that has a Mapsat part on it. So if there is a KSP memory leak, Mapsat seems to exacerbate it. Which sort of makes sense -- it's generating what's basically a huge texture file.

Everything fine and dandy for me.

Used Mods:

Crew Manifest, KSPX_Remix, Subassembly Loader, Deadly Reentry (Heatshields only), Romfarer LazorSystem 27, FusTek CBM3+KappaPod+StationParts, Aviation Lights, TAL_Spherical_Tanks,RemoteTech+CompatibilityPack, MechJeb2, Engineer Redux, AlarmClock, Protractor, Graphotron, Logomatic

Tested Mapsat at Kerbin in orbit heights between 70km and 1283km and varying coresponding inclinations.

As allready said very nice results, but I have some serious performance problems with the Dev-build:

i can´t use timewarp 50x anymore, no matter which resolution i use (tested 15-300 in carious different orbits). On Kerbin, only in very high orbits (1000km+) I can use 50x with approx res 150-300. RAW-data disabled off course.

Maybe the new version uses some stuff that has poor performance on older cpu´s?

My box is quite old, but has really nice performance in other quite demanding games (DCS-series, X-Plane, Mechwarrior online, Warthunder etc.)

Specs: Intel Q6600, oc´ed to 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM, Win7-64, GTX560

Besides the drawback that I have to scan at 10x max I´m very happy with the dev-build, thx for releasing it :)

Only problem I encountered: after alt-tabbing to another program MapSat stopped to scan, no matter if switched off or on, I could not reactivte it. Switching to the tracking station, selectig something else and reselecting the MapSat solved the issue tho.

Hey guys, 0.20 on OSX here. Does anybody else have the problem with the button not showing ? I play in windowed mode, 1024x768 and the button is not showing at all, even with both of the parts mounted. Is it possible to, for example, map a button to show and hide the gui? Thanks for the reply.

Mods I use: MechJeb, RemoteTech, RemoteTech Probe compatibility, LazorSystem.

I think I have stumbled upon a bug. I don´t know if it´s allready known, so I decided to post it, even though I´m using the dev-release.

While trying to get a first pass lowres map of Minmus, the scan-bar tilted everytime when going back to normal time from timewarp:

minmusisatopo.png

Above image is a crop of the original map, the tilting can be seen very well.

My box is quite old, but has really nice performance in other quite demanding games (DCS-series, X-Plane, Mechwarrior online, Warthunder etc.)

I have I52500k(it's not much more powerfull but less old) Win7-64, GTX560Ti and can to have 60-80 fps before and 3-0.3 fps after I push scan button(raw-off). I did not play with it before but It looks perfomance hungry too much, maybe we need some NASA cluster for this processing.

Edited by zzz

I have I52500k(it's not much more powerfull but less old) Win7-64, GTX560Ti and can to have 60-80 fps before and 3-0.3 fps after I push scan button(raw-off). I did not play with it before but It looks perfomance hungry too much, maybe we need some NASA cluster for this processing.

Sounds like some other problem to me. I have no real framerate trouble with MapSat, I get dropped lines in my scans when timewarping too high (no matter what settings for scanresolution), but framerate stays basically ok.

A request I'd like to throw in: Can it be possible to have the mapping dish's tracking capability switched off when it's not actively mapping? I had a few occasions when I would dock a ship carrying the mapping dish to a second ship, and phantom physics forces would cause one of two effects: the whole thing started spinning erratically, or the end of the craft that had the satellite dish started rotating through itself (ignoring collisions).

Everything fine and dandy for me.

Used Mods:

Crew Manifest, KSPX_Remix, Subassembly Loader, Deadly Reentry (Heatshields only), Romfarer LazorSystem 27, FusTek CBM3+KappaPod+StationParts, Aviation Lights, TAL_Spherical_Tanks,RemoteTech+CompatibilityPack, MechJeb2, Engineer Redux, AlarmClock, Protractor, Graphotron, Logomatic

Tested Mapsat at Kerbin in orbit heights between 70km and 1283km and varying coresponding inclinations.

As allready said very nice results, but I have some serious performance problems with the Dev-build:

i can´t use timewarp 50x anymore, no matter which resolution i use (tested 15-300 in carious different orbits). On Kerbin, only in very high orbits (1000km+) I can use 50x with approx res 150-300. RAW-data disabled off course.

Besides the drawback that I have to scan at 10x max I´m very happy with the dev-build, thx for releasing it :)

Only problem I encountered: after alt-tabbing to another program MapSat stopped to scan, no matter if switched off or on, I could not reactivte it. Switching to the tracking station, selectig something else and reselecting the MapSat solved the issue tho.

I assume you're still running .19.1 to have all of those mods actually working?

I also cannot warp faster than 10x. I have a similar system, but faster i5-760 quad core @ 4Ghz, 8GB Ram, and GTX660ti-3GB. I haven't fiddled around with the resolution at all, but the default gives me lines at 50x warp too.

I assume you're still running .19.1 to have all of those mods actually working?

I also cannot warp faster than 10x. I have a similar system, but faster i5-760 quad core @ 4Ghz, 8GB Ram, and GTX660ti-3GB. I haven't fiddled around with the resolution at all, but the default gives me lines at 50x warp too.

nope, running 0.20. All mods I use (except the Heatshields from the DE-pack, Logomatic & Graphotron) are allready released for 0.20. Heatshields I only use for optics and "realism" ;), Logomatic & Graphotron are installed and seem to work, but no flights with them in my save I use to test ISAMapSat.

Edited by Laminator

How about just the last few, then?

In any case, you're lucky I'm not too lazy to help you. :P

the mod-maker's blog:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/blog.php/16471-Innsewerants

Thanks mate, you just made my day! I was trying to make the thing work for 0.20, and then I tried that dev build, and it works so much better! No bug found yet, so reliable as well.

Hey guys, 0.20 on OSX here. Does anybody else have the problem with the button not showing ? I play in windowed mode, 1024x768 and the button is not showing at all, even with both of the parts mounted. Is it possible to, for example, map a button to show and hide the gui? Thanks for the reply.

Mods I use: MechJeb, RemoteTech, RemoteTech Probe compatibility, LazorSystem.

when you unpacked the zip file, did you make sure to remove the excess folders so the first folder in the GameData directory is "Innsewerants Space Agency"

i just straight unzipped the mod at first and the button didnt show (folders were ISA_MapSat X4r1 -> Innsewerants Space Agency ->....)

I love the dev version -- the maps are fantastic.

But unfortunately, I think I can't use it. It's just caused too many problems for me. As noted above, I think there are some memory issues with 0.20, and something about Mapsat -- I think it's the .jpg drawing routine -- is making everything worse. It's managable with the old version (the game freezes the first time you use Mapsat, but copying over my old maps and anomalies file fixes that), but the new version is too much. I think it's the huge increase in the size of the maps that's the culprit. I assume (lacking any real coding knowledge, for the record) that those files are being loaded into basically the same space as the textures, and it's overwhelming the KSP memory manager when Mapsat is combined with texture-heavy part sets like KW or the Novapunch Gemini pack. I don't blame ISA at all -- I think this is a more general KSP issue.

Sigh.

when you unpacked the zip file, did you make sure to remove the excess folders so the first folder in the GameData directory is "Innsewerants Space Agency"

i just straight unzipped the mod at first and the button didnt show (folders were ISA_MapSat X4r1 -> Innsewerants Space Agency ->....)

Thanks for the tip, but in the zip downloaded are only three folders: Parts, PluginData and Plugins... And I have everything in the correct folders...

Can we get the ability to drag or otherwise move the icon for MapSat? I play with Flight UI on Largeish and the icon sits right ontop of the map button, so trying to click it always brings up the map

http://i.imgur.com/VFwTiaZ.jpg

Being able to move it even slightly to the right would be super handy

I have the same problem. Not a huge issue, but something that gets a bit annoying after a while.