How to earn Kerbal experience points?

This is a stupid question to have to post but I can't find any information by googling. I want to know about the Kerbal experience system whereby each Kosmonaut gains experience by doing impressive stuff and this improves their abilities. I'm also interested in the search string you used to find it if you use a search engine. "Kerbal experience", "Kerbal experience points", "Kerbal earn experience", none of these work.

There are some threads on this forum but they don't explain it completely (like what the multipliers are for each different planet).

I've got some guys orbiting the moon but they have not been given experience for it. It's a problem for me because I need the engineer to repack the parachutes which I deployed accidentally. I need to deploy them at a specific altitude to fulfil a contract.

Edited by THX1138

This is a stupid question to have to post but I can't find any information by googling. I want to know about the Kerbal experience system whereby each Kosmonaut gains experience by doing impressive stuff and this improves their abilities. I'm also interested in the search string you used to find it if you use a search engine. "Kerbal experience", "Kerbal experience points", "Kerbal earn experience", none of these work.

There are some threads on this forum but they don't explain it completely (like what the multipliers are for each different planet).

I've got some guys orbiting the moon but they have not been given experience for it. It's a problem for me because I need the engineer to repack the parachutes which I deployed accidentally. I need to deploy them at a specific altitude to fulfil a contract.

Your kerbals will get experience once they successfully return from the mission.

On Kerbin, the highest experience is awarded for Orbit.

Flight = 1

Fly By = 1.5

Orbit = 2

On bodies other than Kerbin, the highest exp return is for Flag Planting.

Note that these are base values, a multiplier is applied depending on the body:

Fly By = 1

Orbit = 1.5

Flight = 2

Land = 2.3

Plant Flag = 2.5

You get the experience for the highest tier accomplishment your kerbal returns from (you don't need to worry about skipping a step, you get the difference between tiers regardless of whether you lump sum it or do it incrementally). I haven't found the multipliers for difference orbital bodies, but I'll keep searching.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.