Kron series (Kron 6 end of mission) - temporary halt of program

lajoswinkler

It looks like it's in some sort of near-resonance with Dres, and isn't in the right plane. I could correct it with an hour or so (on 4x warp) of ion engine running, but I'm a busy person and have other things to do than sit for an hour watching little subatomic particles try to propel half a ton of ship to Dres.

I called it Don. :D

Merciful Kod! How did you get to such speeds?! (Maybe a noobish question, but I'm still a rather... 'unexperienced' player, so...)

The probe was pretty lightweight and when you go nuclear on such probes for a long time, you get high speeds. Kerbin revolves around Kerbol at 9284.5 m/s, so this was a delta v of more than 8.2 km/s which is not a huge problem. Even greater speeds can be achieved using ion engines, but that would be a lot tougher. Waiting for that long... oh.

The ship has entered the Neidon SOI.

14 days, 13 hours until periapsis. Little less than 30 days until leaving the SOI.

Valentina is the only Kerbal awake, and this is what her view through the window looks like.

5A54C3D930B84305083165BE1EBCE54E2031C931

Thatmo is the dot left of Neidon. Nissee is not even visible yet.

Orbital insertion will take up to 1800 m/s.

I'm having difficulties deciding how to proceed with Nissee. It should be the first target, so that I can easily revert the orbit and drop lower to Thatmo and get away from Neidon easier in the end.

There are issues, though. Orbital insertion should occur as close to Neidon as possible (Oberth effect), but then catching Nissee turns into a long mission unless the ship uses hyperbolic trajectories right inside Neidon's sphere of influence which costs fuel.

I could tweak the initial trajectory so that the ship passes next to Nissee, but then the Oberth effect won't be utilized, and also I doubt the ship could brake that fast. Nissee is tiny.

What to do, what to do?

I believe the Oberth effect will be more effective than trying a gravity assist with Nissee. You'll be closer to a much more massive body by going for the Urlum route than Nissee, after all.

Besides - skimming gas giants yields amazing screenshots.

Now, about the hyperbolic routes, I think you should make a compromise between time/fuel. I trust your judgement on this. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.