Kron series (Kron 6 end of mission) - temporary halt of program

lajoswinkler

6 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Sounds like a very good idea.  Still using Kerbalism?

Of course. It still works, even though it hasn't been updated for v1.1.3. Kerbalism all the way. (I still don't know all its tricks; I just cram everything with shields at max. capacity LOL)

@NotAgain I use only few of its parts for looks, such as the big white dish it has. I've deleted everything else and thus that mod has no function besides aesthetics. I don't want to go into the hassle of all that, Kerbalism is hard enough.

Kaos 3 has launched.

Spoiler

6EB850B481D7237B417D2405A2EAE6C9C45AE143

Getting rid of Thumpers.

Spoiler

0E69CAC5986CAB7E96E903A84F1C38C9A9CAE1A6

Climbing through stratosphere.

Spoiler

13DBCB13F094C32B6F0690C650114264C2D541C9

6B91EB8A28F92639F83C8FBEE4DE228D68B76502

Jettisoning the first stage.

Spoiler

E7550554A429F896E564125D2FF3D65A3F7875A4

Second stage is kicking in.

Spoiler

3675C62B9DCF348AC3F1BC30978A00E97B77ECBC

Kaos 3 has established a direct link to the Kerbal Space Center and is waiting for further instructions in a circular, equatorial orbit.

Spoiler

635257F09A1DE5E6EDB31741ABE88AD2DD61375F

Second stage will be able to achieve second cosmic speed, correct the inclination and accelerate the craft so that it will probably be able to reach at least Jool. Ion engine will then carry on.

Second stage fires again, giving the probe around 1 km/s extra velocity.

Spoiler

6C625D6A8EB6B8B2F541E059985BE79DF1A937AE

Kaos 3 jettisons the second stage, deploys its instruments and starts to fire its ion engine.

Spoiler

0E961EB150B55E0A3BA127F6D3125EEF8F8C34B8

6CD239E61BF06B7F7EE81CF236DC51074C2A1758

With only around 20 m/s left, the craft has now reached third cosmic speed and will leave Kerbol forever. The plan is to do a flyby of Plock (and possibly Karen, too, if it gets into a suitable position) as low as possible and will be corrected on the way.

Spoiler

F3789692C1C1903B0742B115926FE1313C208AFF

976154C1BC821B562E315268355CBB6AA72E706B

The probe is on its way, its systems are working. Hibernation will occur very soon.

Spoiler

67D930C3563C6658DB66B268B2F742DCBB99CB37

120 days in, Kaos 3 is crossing the orbit of Duna.

Meanwhile at the KSC, Kron 6 is being prototyped. I think we'll go with 4, instead of 3 engines this time. Plock is a really tiny planetary body and we need some more serious force here.

B382B0EC7C1BF2A5037E2EFB40C7473D7BBC2811

FD97B0E0CE14D03A52BCEA79F3C504DF4FB46B85

I've used the parts from what seems to be a revival of Active Heat Management. (https://spacedock.info/mod/790/Active Heat Management System) I expect there will be a lot more changes here, but this is the general look, with the centrifuge and all.

@lajoswinkler

Will you use the Moons of Eeloo mod? It adds a Pluto-alike moon system to Eeloo in the stock game, but with a little giggery-pokery (which IS supported by the creator) the moons can be placed in orbit of Plock. All you have to do is edit less than 20 characters of the configs. It also adds an atmosphere to Eeloo.

Edited by NotAgain
Adding link

1 hour ago, NotAgain said:

@lajoswinkler

Will you use the Moons of Eeloo mod? It adds a Pluto-alike moon system to Eeloo in the stock game, but with a little giggery-pokery (which IS supported by the creator) the moons can be placed in orbit of Plock. All you have to do is edit less than 20 characters of the configs. It also adds an atmosphere to Eeloo.

I like the idea, but I'm using both OPM and Sigma Binary so... what happens in that case?

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

I like the idea, but I'm using both OPM and Sigma Binary so... what happens in that case?

I'm using them too, and it seems to work perfectly. To change the mod to support OPM, go to GameData/XPC/EelooAlt/PlanetConfigs/ and delete Alu. Then go into the config files of Beros and Kyx and change referenceBody (under orbit) to Plock. This edit is supported by the maker, who gave me the original instructions. If you don't want an atmosphere to be added to Eeloo, delete the Eeloo config too.

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 0:32 AM, lajoswinkler said:

Plock is a really tiny planetary body

But it has a roughly 600,000km SOI.

How are the Kron ships powered? Apart from the solar arrays on the earlier missions, I'm not seeing any power-generation apparatus.

2 hours ago, NotAgain said:

I'm using them too, and it seems to work perfectly. To change the mod to support OPM, go to GameData/XPC/EelooAlt/PlanetConfigs/ and delete Alu. Then go into the config files of Beros and Kyx and change referenceBody (under orbit) to Plock. This edit is supported by the maker, who gave me the original instructions. If you don't want an atmosphere to be added to Eeloo, delete the Eeloo config too.

Thanks. Will try because Beros and Kyx seem as an interesting addition.

23 minutes ago, NotAgain said:

But it has a roughly 600,000km SOI.

How are the Kron ships powered? Apart from the solar arrays on the earlier missions, I'm not seeing any power-generation apparatus.

Indeed, there is a lot of time to brake, but I'm gonna go hyperbolic. Going to Plock using Hohman transfer would be insanity. :)

Almost all Kron ships have had a NFE fission reactor.

It's time for a new signature, no? :wink: Your series was one of (if no the) things that make me start playing again KSP

EDIT: I miss kerty, could you consider trying to get back again?

Edited by kunok

28 minutes ago, kunok said:

It's time for a new signature, no? :wink: Your series was one of (if no the) things that make me start playing again KSP

EDIT: I miss kerty, could you consider trying to get back again?

Well I say, I totally forgot about the signature. :D Thanks for reminding me!

I'm working on getting Kerty back, yes. :)

I did some tweaks of the ship. With all radiation shields maxed out, the ship has an initial delta v of 14,234 m/s, and without shields at all, 15989 m/s.

I'm considering maxing out the cryonics module where the crew will sleep and one of the modules where they could hide when a solar storm hits. The rest would have minimal shielding. That would give me around 15 km/s which is pretty decent, considering I'll get at least 500 m/s more after I dump the lander and one of the modules, as usual.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. :)

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Any advice on this would be appreciated. :)

Well, the "storm shelter" is a very good idea that I think figures prominently in real-life plans.  However, it has the drawback of only working if everybody can get into it before the storm hits.  This is a function of warning time and what's going on with the mission at the moment.  I have no idea how much warning you get in Kerbalism, but even a couple of minutes should suffice for everybody aboard the mothership.  But what if you have some folks in a minimally protected lander?  Depending on how far away the lander is from the mothership, they might not have time to get back.  So maybe the lander should have max shielding as well.

Edited by Geschosskopf

4 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Well, the "storm shelter" is a very good idea that I think figures prominently in real-life plans.  However, it has the drawback of only working if everybody can get into it before the storm hits.  This is a function of warning time and what's going on with the mission at the moment.  I have no idea how much warning you get in Kerbalism, but even a couple of minutes should suffice for everybody aboard the mothership.  But what if you have some folks in a minimally protected lander?  Depending on how far away the lander is from the mothership, they might not have time to get back.  So maybe the lander should have max shielding as well.

I think the storm in Kerbalism is something that occurs suddenly in the whole system, with something like one hour of warning. I'm not sure, though. Timewarp also stops (and I think that feature can be turned off) so the crew being fried while in poorly protected parts of the ship is not a serious possibility.

The issue with the lander is totally possible, but I need to see the orbital periods in low Plock, low Karen, and possibly low Beros and low Kxy orbits. Realistically speaking, lander's shielding should be minimal and that would give me something more to panic about. :D

6 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

The issue with the lander is totally possible, but I need to see the orbital periods in low Plock, low Karen, and possibly low Beros and low Kxy orbits. Realistically speaking, lander's shielding should be minimal and that would give me something more to panic about. :D

Which mod gives the smaller moons like Beros?

Anyway, if the smaller moons are about the size of Gilly or smaller, orbital velocity of the mothership would be in low 2-digits, and it would take an hour or more for an orbit.  And even once the mothership is in position to run back to, the trip back up to it would take forever as well.

52 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Which mod gives the smaller moons like Beros?

Anyway, if the smaller moons are about the size of Gilly or smaller, orbital velocity of the mothership would be in low 2-digits, and it would take an hour or more for an orbit.  And even once the mothership is in position to run back to, the trip back up to it would take forever as well.

This one.

Granted, if the conditions are similar to Gilly, I could get back to the ship on a hyperbolic orbit in a fraction of orbital period.

160 days in, Kaos 3 is crossing the orbit of Dres.

I won't be using AHMS for Kron 6. I'll go with regular heatsinks and radiators.

Also, I've tested the static stability of the ship using HyperEdit. It does not shake like a dog and is very stable. I'm still designing the staging system. New, 4 engine layout complicates things. I might return to a 3 engine layout. We'll see.

4 hours ago, NotAgain said:

If you do, I may suggest using different (more powerful) engines?

What kind of thrust does the LV-NB make?

I've kind of sworn not to use anything else. LV-NB is kind of what makes Kron ships... Kron ships. Oh, and 3.75 m modules.

And they're quite realistic. After all, we do have that technology developed on Earth (NERVA, RD-0410).

CFG file for LV-NB says maxThrust = 160 so that would be 160 kN. In current, 4-engine configuration, I get TWR of 0.06 I've played with 0.04 before...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.