Vessel construction mishap

Hi guys, I need help on the follow mishap when I was constructing my vessel:2014-12-26_00004_zpsd4ea2486.jpg

I've tried things like, landing on top of it resulting in blowing everything up including the engine and smashing my Kerbal on it (poor Bob).

I need suggestions on how to get this thing out of the way so I can return to the mothership in orbit!

Edited by UnthinkableThinker

From your screenshot, it's not really clear what part is the problem or why it's a problem. Heck, it's not clear what that IS in the image - are those 4 things docking ports or engines? I'm guessing from the ad-hoc landing gear support thing next to them that they're engines, but I'm not sure. Maybe try uploading a different screenshot, this time from the lit-up side?

O.o OH! I see. In that case, try right clicking the engines and clicking "Jettison". It's supposed to kick the fairing off (the cylinder). I really don't know if it will get rid of the docking ports, but if it doesn't, you can just activate the engines and throttle to max ;) The docking ports will quickly overheat and explode.

Well, another good question would be are those engines underneath pointing the correct direction? If not sure, you should be able to jettison the shrouds at least. Perhaps that would knock off the collars, but I doubt it.

You could bring another set of engines to dock to the collars. Still wouldn't be able to use the original engines, but at least you would have thrust.

Otherwise, a rescue mission may be in order.

Okay so what I think I'm seeing here is four LV-Ns (or Lv-T30/45s?) with fairing around them, and docking ports at the ends. The engines, I believe, are facing the same direction as the docking ports, so that's good.

I'd say try to right click and use "Jettison" (as has been suggested) to remove the fairings, which should take the docking ports with them.

I'm just not sure you can decouple them that way, however. I suppose you could (as suggested) just dock more engines onto those ports, but that will add extra mass, as the original engines will be dead weight.

Solution 1: Send up a new engine cluster to dock with the ship

Solution 2: Attempt to ram something into the docking ports to destroy them... without damaging the engines. (very sketchy)

Ok, so I have tried jettisoning them with no success, the fairings and docking ports remain in the same place. I have also tried throttling up to max to try an explosion due to overheating but no luck. The engines DO work, fuel gets consumed and all but there is no thrust. Docking a new cluster of engines seems like a fix, but I won't be able to land it, since it will touch the ground first, most likely blowing it up. I am seriously considering the ramming of something.

I have also tried throttling up to max to try an explosion due to overheating but no luck. The engines DO work, fuel gets consumed and all but there is no thrust

How long did you leave the throttle at max for? It does take about 10-20 seconds for them to explode (a lot of fuel wasted, I know, but that might be okay).

Also, I really wouldn't recommend ramming the ports to try and break them off, because that'll almost certainly cause collateral damage

The more I think about it, the more I think that ramming would be a bad idea. It might work, but it's a risk. Using quicksaves would make it a bit more feasible.

Leaving your engines on for a while to burn them off is probably the safest bet. They will explode eventually... you'll just waste a fair bit of deltaV before it happens.

So I just ran a test to see if blasting the docking ports off was possible. Since I can't see exactly what kind of engines you used, I tried LV-T45 and LV-T30; neither were able to overheat the docking ports before running out of fuel entirely. I guess your only realistic option then is to dock new engines to it, with a new set of landing legs (be sure to add a tank so you can transfer fuel - and to compensate for the dead mass).

You should have plenty of deltaV on that thing to land on Duna though :)

EDIT: I also tried doing this with decouplers in place of the docking ports; same effect. However, LV-Ns can blast off the docking ports. I guess the game must simulate the fact they have way hotter exhaust :D

Edited by armagheddonsgw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.