Mk1-2 command pod way too heavy

I don't know if there's an existing thread for issues like this? I think it makes no sense for the mk1-2 pod to be so heavy (4.1 tons), especially now when the new mk3 spaceplane cockpit is like three times larger and weighs less (3.9 tons). Or maybe mk3 cockpit should be much heavier? Either way I think some overall weight balancing on all the parts should be made.

Either way I think some overall weight balancing on all the parts should be made.

agreed.

The cupola is also WAY too light now. (1.8t) when it was previously (4.5t). windows are really heavy, which is why space craft have so few and they are small.

maybe the Mk1-2 is just the most accurate one.

Mk1-2 is a tough one, a Mk1 is quite a fragile. The Kupola and the Mk3 is too light (as whole new Mk3 parts - now (0.90) the most efficient rockets made of Mk3s!)

but there are many impossibly balanced parts: thrust of ion engine, and the smaller monopropellant tanks capacity...

The cupola is also WAY too light now. (1.8t) when it was previously (4.5t). windows are really heavy, which is why space craft have so few and they are small.

I disagree with this, at 1.8t it's the heaviest single-kerbal pod, only worth using for cool IVA or aesthetics. At 4.5t it was a total loser.

I'd like to see the Mk1-2 reduced to about 3t or so, to bring it more in line with the other pods.

Mk1-2 is a tough one, a Mk1 is quite a fragile. The Kupola and the Mk3 is too light (as whole new Mk3 parts - now (0.90) the most efficient rockets made of Mk3s!)

but there are many impossibly balanced parts: thrust of ion engine, and the smaller monopropellant tanks capacity...

The higher thrust of the ion engine was a result of the engine being nearly useless when it was a somewhat realistic low thrust engine (still miles off from the real thrust). The thrust/TWR is still far lower than other engines, so it's not OP but at the same time more usable. Maybe in the future we'll get higher physical timewarp or thrusting during timewarp, so that the thrust can be reduced to more realistic levels. In the meantime, the current situation is the best balance between usability and realism we can have.

My thoughts:

Mk1-2 pod is slightly too heavy. Reduce to maybe 3.5 tons or something (although the Apollo capsule weighed over 5 tons, if you strip out everything that the Mk1-2 pod doesn't have (RCS engines, heatshield, communications, provisions etc), it weighs about 2 tons)

Mk3 cockpit is ridiculously lightweight. Should be over 4.5 tons at least.

I'm conflicted on the Cupola.. on one hand, it's way too light for something made mainly of windows, but on the other, it was too heavy beforehand. Again, make it 3.something tons. Yeah, it's the heaviest 1 man pod, but it's the least capable 2.5m stack pod (even then, it looks awful with anything stacked on top of it, from both exterior and interior view).

The Mk1-2 pod should be thrown down the deepest depths of hell and be redesigned from the scratch. Probably something Dragon II-looking pod would be both, pretty and more functional the one we have now.

Edited by Veeltch

I think it makes sense. It has high impact tolerance and considering its an apollo mockup, it should support a crew for long periods of time, meaning it's 'supposed' to hold more life support resources.

Yeah but unless life support is official, and it's not, then it's just a waste of space currently :/

I disagree with this, at 1.8t it's the heaviest single-kerbal pod, only worth using for cool IVA or aesthetics. At 4.5t it was a total loser.

I agree. Also, 1.8t DOES make it quite heavy in terms of the "heavy glass" argument, considering it only holds 1 kerbal, and has smaller reaction wheels, etc.

I'd like to see the Mk1-2 reduced to about 3t or so, to bring it more in line with the other pods.

Seconded. Or thirded. Or whatever :)

Mk1-2 pod is slightly too heavy. Reduce to maybe 3.5 tons or something (although the Apollo capsule weighed over 5 tons, if you strip out everything that the Mk1-2 pod doesn't have (RCS engines, heatshield, communications, provisions etc), it weighs about 2 tons)

Note that the Apollo pod was a 3.9m part, and also could seat SIX kerbals (they're at the most half the size of a human), on top of the factors that you've already listed.

Kerbals have some of the advantages that unmanned craft have in terms of smaller/lighter support structures required..

The Mk1-2 pod should be thrown down the deepest depths of hell and be redesigned from the scratch. Probably something Dragon II-looking pod would be both, pretty and more functional the one we have now.

Eh, what bout Ven's version of it? It has working RCS ports and an access hatch/ladder that lines up with other 2.5m parts... Plus, the Mk1-2 layout is flexible in that it can double for an Apollo capsule OR an Orion capsule :P

@Renegrade: Meh, I guess youre right, but I dont like it anyway. Still gonna use hitchhikers or SSTOs to transport my kerbals

Speaking of Dragon V2s, wouldn't that be better as a high capacity 3.75M part anyways? It seats seven afterall (fourteen+ kerbals? hehe), and is already about that size..

I think both the Mk1-2 command pod and the Mk2 lander can should be slightly lighter, compared to their 1-kerbal versions. (Unless life support gets added and the 2.5m parts have longer endurances.)

EDIT: also, if heat shields/reentry damage are added to the stock game and the command pods don't have built in heat shields, they should also be lighter, as that seems to be the justification for the Mk1 command pod being heavier than the Mk1 lander can. (Also, if they're not assumed to have heat shields, they are way too heavy relative to real-world capsules, given their much smaller size. Mercury capsule was more like 1.8m, Apollo 3.9m, Orion is going to be 5m.)

Edited by NERVAfan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.