Pre-Munar Landing Anonymous - A support group

Johno

Fixed that for ya. ;) \'What\'s in your rocket?\'

Well, mostly a little bit of this, a little bit of that. The list so far ive found is:

The Truss pack (fuel tanks were modified to use normal fuel instead of Pure LH2 - http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=9026.0

The Novapunch Remix pack - http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=4180.0

The Probodobodyne construction Kit v0.5 - http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=6397

The KSP Silisko Edition 1.2 - http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=2925.0

The GabysQuickAndDirtyPayloads.v0.7 - couldnt find the link again

The VB_experimental pack & VB_Parts pack

The FTL DRIVE MK1 Nomad

MechJeb_1.8.1

SatelliteRelays_v0.5

MRZDynasat_v_0_1_1

PowerTechPlugin_v0_2_1

An autopilot-sort of part. It can be used as an alternative (and I hear, more functional) ASAS module, but can also go through an entire launch, orbit or land sequence with the press of a button.

Myself, I prefer stock stuff, and ASAS is the limit for me. Much more of a challenge, particularly as the ASAS module is rather unstable and very Kerbal.

Some would say that a true kerbal blows him/herself up on the launchpad.

I recommend going to the mun and back with stock parts only at first. You\'ll be amazed at how easy it becomes after a few successes.

• 2 weeks later...

I\'ve touched down at every speed from 2000m/s to 0.5m/s and every time, the legs settle down and then the whole craft pops up off the ground within a second.

Stock parts?

Even if you are using them, you could just be landing in a soft spot.

I\'ve touched down at every speed from 2000m/s to 0.5m/s and every time, the legs settle down and then the whole craft pops up off the ground within a second.

I encountered something like this the other day. We were just driving around on Minmus, near a mountain peak. Every 21 seconds, the whole craft would jump up into the sky! Not sure about the acceleration, but it was enough to make the cart\'s wheels bounce up above the craft. As we gained altitude, the effect became more and more pronounced, until we were reaching 7m on each bounce.

Stock parts?

Even if you are using them, you could just be landing in a soft spot.

All stock, so far 90 (otherwise successful) landings at as many locations, keeps happening. At first I figured my lander was too tall (usually 2 small tanks with a decoupler between) but it still happens even when the lander is nothing more than a capsule, small tank, small engine, and legs. Annoying to say the least.

You know how when in a regular orbit you burn retrograde to come back down? You do the same thing getting off the moon, fly contrary to the moons direction of orbit at about 700-800m/s and you\'ll end up in an orbit with a PE near kerbin. Depending on your landing spot you can just burn straight in that direction, or establish munar orbit first and then expand that orbit on the trailing side untill it leaves munar SOI. The second way experiences a bit of influence due to the mun\'s rotation but that\'s fairly intuitive after you\'ve seen it once or twice.

Good luck!

edit: half a tank of fuel is doable, but might be a bit tight when first starting out. Depends on the mass of your lander too ofcourse.

It could, it doesn\'t matter (much) whether you go 90\' of 270\'. Important is to note that I\'m not talking about the moons rotation, but its orbit around kerbin. Pretend you are the moon and want to de-orbit, go in the direction you\'d burn for that.

I did struggle until they brought out the new thruster and landing legs..

Just remember F5 to quick save and F9 to reload, thats turned a few of my craters into safely landed craft :D

And it also takes the fun out of it....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.