Pre-Munar Landing Anonymous - A support group

Johno

...i\'ve yet to stop my craft from slamming into the moon, i don\'t know when to decelarate. Practice takes a while to set up too, so it\'s a pain.

Purists might object, but if you just want to practice that phase, use F5 to quicksave and F9 to restore.

Some tips for Mun landings:

• start from a low, circular-ish orbit of about 5 km,

• burn retro until your horizontal speed is close to zero as you can get it,

• rotate vertical-ish, deploy landing stuff

• work on stopping horizontal motion while drifting down for a few seconds,

• during descent, keep your vertical speed about 2% of your altitude (ignore two zeros and multiply by 2).

My first successful landing on the mun :D

And plenty of fuel left. Rocket design is the best so far. Its a little bulky and hard to control in the beginning. But control is not really needed in that stage.

screenshot4.png

screenshot3.png

first%20success.png

Well done. That\'s a sexy rocket.

So big rockets ... I use like 3x less mass to do it ... :P but i must confess i use i think apollo modules ;P bigger fuel tanks i think.

Hehe I know! It took me a couple of attempts to actually get in orbit. With smaller rockets i could do it but i didnt haven enough fuel to get to the moon. So i added a few engines and one think led to another =P And this thing came to be. Im not that good at orbits yet so i need a big fuel buffer when trying to achieve one.

I managed it for the first time yesterday :D

Mind you, my rocket was significantly taller than xclusiv8\'s. I\'ll give it another shot so I can get some screenies. One of my lander legs fell of since I landed on a slope :/

Reminds me of the episode 'Spider' from From the Earth to the Moon. The simplest way to the moon, really, is Lunar Orbit Rendezvous. Unless you have a dedicated landing craft (which we can\'t have because there is no docking system yet to join it with it\'s mothercraft), you have to land a huge craft on the moon in order to get back home.

The relevant clip. It\'s a great miniseries if you haven\'t watched it.

I love that part. 'Getting to the moon is easy.' 'Well... Not entirely easy.' 'It\'s relatively easy...' 'What\'s hard, is getting him back!' 'So we started thinking... What can we do now? The moon!'

Their plan turns out to be sending a man to the moon and repeatedly bringing him supply ships until they figure out a way to get him back... hahaha

Their plan turns out to be sending a man to the moon and repeatedly bringing him supply ships until they figure out a way to get him back... hahaha

I know this has been said so many times already on this forum, but I can\'t help myself:

That\'s Kerbal.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

I have suddenly snapped.

I know there must be more than just me. If it\'s you, then it\'s time you got some support.

I have been playing KSP since version 8.5 - and I have to admit. I\'m yet to land on the Mun and safely return.

No, I know. Shocks you, doesn\'t it?

I\'ve had a few close calls - a lot of sad little craters that will be forever Kerbin; a few bounces off the surface leaving broken landing legs, requiring an abort; several Munar modules running out of fuel whilst still a thousand feet off the surface, requiring an abort; and at least eight command pods left in various locations on the Munar surface when their spacecraft toppled over.

Surely I\'m not the only one!

Say it proud. You\'re not alone. Like me you\'re a Pre-Munar Kerbal!

Well, there goes my title as the longest playing kerbalnaut to never go to the mun. I haven\'t even tryed yet. And I still get yelled at by everyone to do it, but I like flying aircraft and doing Redevous.

Sabactus’s Trans lunar injection made easy.

I’m going to take you from ground to lunar orbit.

I’m not stock parts ninja like some people on the forum and I like using some of the packages. A particular favorite is the Down Under Aerospace pack.

Here we have the Luna rocket, a very robust and elegant ship. This baby has taken me to the moon many of times. It’s slightly modified with a MechJeb for when I want precision landings at my moon base.

screenshot42.png

So let’s get going, you are going to want to thrust vertically for approximately 10 kms then you are going to start VERY slowly angling over east. The 1st stage will get you to about 18–19 kms up just keep turning her.

A few rules of them at about 30 km you’ll wanna be at about 45 degrees and at 60 kms you’ll want to be level.

Once you apogee hits 100 km cut the engine and coast up there and then circularize. At that point you should coast in orbit until you see the moon rising about the horizon. That is you queue to start your injection run.

screenshot5.png

Thrust along you prograde vector till your apogee is slightly higher than 11,400 kms, the height of the Mun’s orbit.

screenshot6.png

Then it is a waiting game. If you performed the maneuvers correctly you should be captured by the moons gravity.

screenshot8-1.png

Well, since others are posting their ships, I\'ll post the one I used:

screenshot1.png

This got me to the Mun, but due to my own problems with efficiency (I\'m not so good with that), I ran out of fuel on the return journey, and was almost stranded in a highly elliptical orbit around Kerbin... I had to use RCS to get back, but I made it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.