Cannot save or load a ship

So since the update my game doesnt crash that often anymore.

But now I got anyother problem; I cannot load and save any space/aircraft.

The game functions as normally, but simply clicking the save and load button dont do anything.

Any help?

Edited by Claw

If you can't load or save, it might be a permissions issue. Check your KSP directories and make sure they are not set to "Read Only". This is sometimes a problem with steam installs.

If you can't load a ship, this is usually because you have a corrupt .craft file. The .craft file can sometimes become corrupt if the game crashes, typically because it's in the middle of writing the file and not all of the information is present.

Usually to fix this, you'll have to narrow down which file is broken and remove it. If you know you were working on a ship when the game crashed, you can start by checking that file first. If you're not sure, there are a couple things you can do...

- Bring up the debug log (Via MOD+F2, ALT+F2 if you are on windows). Then click on the "Load" button. KSP should generate a message saying which file it had a problem with.

- If that doesn't work, move all of your ship files out of the appropriate ships\SPH or ships\VAB directory to somewhere safe, and try clicking on the load button again. If that works, move half the ship files back and try again. Keep moving ship files back until it doesn't work anymore and you should be able to narrow down the broken file. By the way, you don't need to restart KSP while moving the files. Just switch out of the game, move the files around, then go back into KSP.

See if any of that helps.

Cheers,

~Claw

I had a same problem, try taking all your ships out and adding them back one by one. (you don't have to reload the game.) every time you do it, try to reload the ships.

when it does not open on click, remove the file you added if it opens again then the ship is broken.

The buttons themselve refuse to work.

Where should I be looking for these 'Read Only' files?

Do you mean that the buttons are grayed out and you can't even click on them? (That's different than if you can click on them, but nothing happens.)

Posting a log file or pressing ALT+F2 will go a long way to helping you find the problem.

To check read-only files in windows, just right click on the KSP directory and select "Properties". Make sure the "Read Only" box is deselected and that you apply it to all subfolders.

Cheers,

~Claw

Do you mean that the buttons are grayed out and you can't even click on them? (That's different than if you can click on them, but nothing happens.)

Posting a log file or pressing ALT+F2 will go a long way to helping you find the problem.

To check read-only files in windows, just right click on the KSP directory and select "Properties". Make sure the "Read Only" box is deselected and that you apply it to all subfolders.

Cheers,

~Claw

No I can still click them but nothing happens. I will try the read-me-only thing now.

EDIT: So that doesnt work, after unboxing the Read-Only, I apply, but after checking the properties again its boxed.

Edited by AdmiralAdama

• 2 months later...

Did not save my butt.. I got it installed somewhere in %programfiles%\Steam\.... where all other Steam games are installed by default.

However this Alt+F2 thingy helped a lot. Everytime I clicked the load button two messages poped there:

[Error]: [shipTemplate]: Could not locate root part in Vozitko 2 as 0 entries remain after eliminating all parts listed as children. This is probably wrong.

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Important is the first one, the exception is just result of previous error. In error message there is mentioned (in my case) "Vozitko 2" - thats name of my saved rover I was working on recently.

So, to "fix" this I had to navigate explorer to folder where KPS is installed, there should be a subfolder "saves", in there should be all saved games - one folder for each. You open the one you got problem with and in there you should see "Ships" subfolder. Now its a good time to exit running KSP and backup that "Ships" folder - as you always should before start diging that deep (just copy and paste it to desktop). The "Ships" folder shoudl contain "SPH" and "VAB" subfolders one for each hangar so open both and delete file mentioned in the error message (in my case) "Vozitko 2.craft" - it can be located in "SPH" or "VAB" folder or in both. You can try to open and fix content of that file (using a notepad) before deleting it but in my case there was not much to fix as the file contained like a 5 lines of text (just some header with no design data).

You may need to repeat this "fix" observing Alt+F2 log as more ship templates can be damaged. I ended up deleting two .craft files.

Fixed. Of course the ship design of the mentioned ship gets lost so you have to start over and design it again. But if you managed to launch it and have it orbiting/landed somewhere (not my case can't proove it) it should stay there.

4DEVS: the ship template got damaged after I saved it in Spaceship hangar and loaded it in Vehicle Assembly Building, did some modificatoin to it, saved its template again and launched it from the pad, crash landed :D and since that I could not open the load ship template window anymore.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.