[0.90 RSS Config] Jumbo5x (5 times rescale) v0.1

Whirligig Girl

See also: Jumbo32

TL;DR: 6.4 is not a round number, 5 is a round number, download this for reasons.

Why Make This?

Some people have been holding off on the challenge of full-on RSS, perhaps in part because they like Kerbals. Thus, 10x scale Kerbin was born. Regex (I have to capitalize it. It's at the beginning of a sentence) realized that this is improper scale for stock parts, which are approximate 64% real life scales and have very bad efficiency. He created the first 6.4:1 Scale config. (Turns out that this is false, a myth created by regex, the stock parts scale is around 40-50%) Others have created forks of this. 6.4x and 64K both do the same thing, but perhaps with a few extra bonus features. Then I, having long played 64K, realized that it was just a tad bit too hard for me, but I didn't like playing FAR-less, and I didn't like playing Stock Scale. And playing with FAR in Stock Scale is just unbelievably easy due to the lack of a souposphere to add an extra kilometer-per-second of delta-v. So I realized that I should roll up my own config. Thus Jumbo32 was born, designed to be a medium-sized challenge.

Some have thought of the number 6.4 or 3.2 and thought "That's not a round number! How can I trust it?", and there's been some want of a 5x scale config due to this. It's almost as hard as 6.4x scale, but it's a nice, round, prime, odd, positive, whole number.

Does the terrain look any good?

A bit better than 64K. If you want a good upsizing that makes the terrain look even BETTER than stock, look at Jumbo32. The terrain DOES match up nicely to the scaledspace, so you can use whatever TextureReplacer stockalike Kerbin map you want. Endraxial's planets look pretty good.

Any special features?

There's the same special features in Jumbo5x as there is in Jumbo32. Eeloo has an atmosphere, and Dres is spinning waay too fast. This gives the two least visited locations, some more interesting physics to work around, so that you might actually want to visit them for the challenge. Of course, at 5x scale, it will be a challenge. It also includes AtmosphereFromGround adjustments from Kerbal Renaissance Compilation, so the air looks better at ground, also (if you want to try) making it more compatible with KSPRC itself. (Shown in the second album below)

No Pics, No Clicks.

Here:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks to SkyRex94:

Green Line trees are a Kopernicus bug.

Are there any mods you recommend?

Ferram Aerospace Research

Ven's Stock Part Revamp

Ferram's Better Buoyancy

Deadly Re-Entry

Procedural Fairings, or some other fairing mod.

Where's the download?

Here's the download link for v0.1.1

88x31.png

Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International

Uses the Real Solar System plugin by NathanKell. (Included in dl)

How about some more info?

Delta-V to orbit is around 7 km/s, just like in 6.4x. Remember, you can use the good ol' formula: (StockScaleThing(sqrt[rescale factor]))=Rescale Thing. (Delta-V, Orbital or Rotational period, Orbital velocity, really anything that's not just a size) Delta-V to orbit (an experiment has been done, not a calculation) is around 6.7 to 7 km/s. Orbital velocity is a little under 5 km/s.

Edited by GregroxMun

Made a quick sandbox test of it:

I like that it's even bigger than J32 but smaller than 64K. 64K is really hard with stock Parts if you (like I do) refuse to use Real Fuels and/or procedural Parts. I try not to use a lot of Mod Parts and mainly play with the stock ones, since I enjoy the design challenges of engineering your rocket and don't want ist to be super easy to just resize parts and take modded engines and slap anything together in a minute.

I probably have to do some further testing if everything is still managable with the stock parts in 5x before I can consider using it on a constant basis.

But some issues:

I don't know if you can do something about it or if its an RSS thins: Swimming on EVA behaves really 'glitchy' and not fluid. And if you drive over the edges of terrain-tiles, the terrain likes to try to flip your craft.

personal question: If you'd only use stock parts without rescale or reconfig, do you enjoy J32 or 5x more?

EDIT: First!

Made a quick sandbox test of it:

I like that it's even bigger than J32 but smaller than 64K. 64K is really hard with stock Parts if you (like I do) refuse to use Real Fuels and/or procedural Parts. I try not to use a lot of Mod Parts and mainly play with the stock ones, since I enjoy the design challenges of engineering your rocket and don't want ist to be super easy to just resize parts and take modded engines and slap anything together in a minute.

I probably have to do some further testing if everything is still managable with the stock parts in 5x before I can consider using it on a constant basis.

But some issues:

I don't know if you can do something about it or if its an RSS thins: Swimming on EVA behaves really 'glitchy' and not fluid. And if you drive over the edges of terrain-tiles, the terrain likes to try to flip your craft.

personal question: If you'd only use stock parts without rescale or reconfig, do you enjoy J32 or 5x more?

EDIT: First!

I forgot to do a "recommended mods" post. Use Ferram's "Better Buoyancy" mod. As for the terrain tiles, that's not something I can fix. And I definitely like Jumbo32 more, I made this for other people, really.

Edited by GregroxMun

I dun goof'd. You have to delete the Mun and Minmus .obj files in RealSolarSystem/plugins/plugindata, or the Mun appears too small in scaledspace. Will fix this in the next major update.

Gregrox, I'm glad I ran into you in ShimmyJJ's twitch stream and mentioned your mod. It's a lot more challenging and fun to launch things into orbit on 5x and it doesn't feel too challenging to reach orbit. I kind of wish there were multiple launch locations as some of the survey contracts make me fly oh half way around the globe but no big deal. I just don't want to do a five hour flight at mach 1.5 in my little survey air planes for contract fulfillment. I like a lot, even with the silly terrain line bugs etc. I did delete the mun and minmus obj files after I reread your thread but haven't tried it since then.

Edited by StevenJ

• 2 weeks later...

My complements GregroxMun! I'm glad to see more Kerbin system rescales out there. Now if only Squad would catch the hint and scale the stock system up a bit...

I have to point out that this re-scale is actually the MOST accurate in terms of the relationship of part sizes to the planet. That the "stock parts are 64% real scale" is a myth that was first created by Regex, and unfortunately, perpetuated by a few unwitting dupes such as myself (in fact, I probably did more to spread this misinformation than any other person...)

The TRUTH is that stock parts are actually only about 40-50% the size of their real world counterparts in most cases. Take the Jumbo-64 tank, for instance, which is clearly an analog of the Delta IV cryogenic fuel tank...

KKiS1qm.jpg

The real one is exactly 5 meters in diameter, as compared to KSP's 2.5 meter tank. And a 6.4x re-scale would NOT amount to 64% of real world scale anyways- as the stock Kerbin system is actually slightly closer to 1/11th than 1/10th of real world scale (using the 12,742 km diameter of Earth vs. 1200 km diameter of stock Kerbin...) So, a 6.4x re-scale is closer to 60% re-scale, and the proper re-scale is about 40-50% (which a 5x re-scale falls in the range of).

Now if only you woulds get rid of Dres' ridiculous rotational velocity, and return it to a more sensible stock-like value, I would GLADLY make the switch over to your 5x config from 64K...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

He has said he will offer a version without spinny dres ( At least for 3.2x so I assume here too) , but if you'd like to get rid of it, you just have to change one number in the config file, it's not that hard.

Actually you only have to delete or coment-out the rotational period value, it will revert to stock. I'll do a poll about Spinny Dres.

Link to Poll on SpinnyDres.

Edited by GregroxMun

I would like to create at least a second Gas Giant for this with a Titan-like moon. I think you've implemented Outer Planets into 32x right? SO a question: Is it better to create a new planet in stock scale with Kopernicus and scale it up with RSS, or creating it directly in the desired size with Kopernicus? Issues with one of the ways and what gives better results?

I've made some screenshots during my first flight of a new prototype. Here they are for you. You (OP) are allowed to add some of these to the OP if you like. You can see the scale of 5xRSS and how the mountains on 'Kafrika' look like when upscaled here.

Also I've possibly found an issue with RSS: During the flight these weird green sticks start to show up and did'nt dissappear again until closing Ksp.exe . Either its an RSS bug or a bug in Squads Ground Scatter Module, not sure but was a little unimmersive to see these.

Edited by SkyRex94

Update on the green lines: Not an RSS Issue it seems. Seems to come from Kopernicus. So no bug there... ;)

But now I definitly found a bug: It is impossible to reach Minmus, because its Orbit is outside Kerbins SOI or in other Words, Kerbins SOI is too small.

Will this get a release with scaled down Gilly Pol and Bop too?

Edited by SkyRex94

Update on the green lines: Not an RSS Issue it seems. Seems to come from Kopernicus. So no bug there... ;)

But now I definitly found a bug: It is impossible to reach Minmus, because its Orbit is outside Kerbins SOI or in other Words, Kerbins SOI is too small.

Will this get a release with scaled down Gilly Pol and Bop too?

This was a bug with Jumbo32 as well. Will fix. It's caused by the Sun's mass is this.

• 2 weeks later...
Just out of curiosity are you still working on this size variant?

I'm taking a hiatus from all my rescales for a while. I might get back to these this weekend, but I'm essentially looking at entirely rebuilding the Jumbo configs. While you wait, there's now a few other neat stockalike RSS configs to try.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.