KSC Buildings Lock Up / Can't Click on Anything / Firing Kerbal Crashes Game

Super dumb, newbie question. Where are my sfs files located? I see a saves folder, but my game is not in it. Definitely experiencing this issue, or very similar anyway. Do you still have to deal with your roster in science mode? I have been ignoring it if so and any dead kerbals have been reappearing on the next flight. The issue seems to be somewhat dynamic as well. The first time it happened I could still access the tracking station, go to something , and load my last quicksave. However, this most recent occurrence I am unable to access anything but launch pad, runway, and astronaut complex. The game will totally freeze if I enter the latter.

Advice? Rebukes? General admonishments?

I have had this problem the past few days, here is my file if anyone can see anything wrong :/

You are missing Jebediah Kerman. You'll need to make a crew roster entry for him, as explained in the first post. Please make sure you don't leave any extra blank lines in your save. KSP sometimes doesn't like that.

Super dumb, newbie question. Where are my sfs files located?

Yeah, this bug can be somewhat sporadic depending on how things get deleted. It even has an embedded delayed time bomb...

However, if you want to find your save files, it depends on how you have things installed. If you downloaded from the KSP store, then the saves are located in KSP_Install_Directory\Saves\[saveName]\persistence.sfs. If you are using steam, I believe it can also save them in your Documents directory. Though I'm not familiar with exactly where.

After you locate the save file, make a copy then edit it with a plain text editor (like notepad) and look for all your kerbals (Ctrl+F and search for "Kerman"). Write down all the names, then go through the CREW section and make sure each name has an entry.

Welcome to the forums! :D

Cheers,

~Claw

Fixed! Thanks Claw!!!

Interesting side note, My saves are all stashed in a totally different directory. Is that normal? As I recall, there was no installer. Just a zip file you download, extract and drop somewhere, right? Well I stuck mine into C:\program files but all of my saves, log files and a cfg file are all under C:\useres\app data\virtual store. That was definitely not a directory I created.

Either way, working now.... thanks again!

My saves are all stashed in a totally different directory. Is that normal? As I recall, there was no installer. Just a zip file you download, extract and drop somewhere, right? Well I stuck mine into C:\program files but all of my saves, log files and a cfg file are all under C:\useres\app data\virtual store. That was definitely not a directory I created.

C:\Program Files is usually a protected directory (it has particular security settings) so the game is forced to save elsewhere if installed there.

Yeah, actually if you installed the zip to program files, then be excited that the only issue is where the saves are. For some people, it causes all kinds of wacky behavior. :P

Glad you got it sorted out!

Cheers,

-Claw

Noted. Should I just relocate my install directory to the save location, then consolidate folders?

If you want to consolidate things, this is what I would recommend. Though there are several ways to get there...

1) If possible, download a fresh install or grab the zip that you downloaded previously.

2) Unzip it to a new directory, such as C:\Games\KSP (or similar). Stay away from places like "Program Files" or the Desktop.

3) Copy over your save folders into the new C:\Games\KSP\saves

If downloading is not a practical option, then make absolutely certain that you copy & paste the folder to the new location. Do not "move" the folder. Windows might try to "help" you when you move it, in which case it'll make things worse. After you copy/paste it, then you can also copy over your save games in the same manner.

Cheers,

~Claw

Alright, so i'm pretty new to Ksp but i have built some stuff like a low orbit station and went to and back from both Mun and Minmus. But since i first started my main save i have always been getting this problem with not being able to use the load, launch and exit buttons. I fixed it by deleting corrupted craft files, and everything seemed fine. But today i started getting the same problems again, and if i actually made it out of for example the vehicle assembly building none of the other buildings except from the recruiting center worked. There was no corrupted craft file, and i have followed your guide but it didn't really help. I'm in sandbox mode, so the career part obviously doesn't exist in the persistent.sfs file, but also the crew roaster has way more different Kerbals listed than there are in the progress tracking stations part. There are maybe 14 kerbal names in the progress part, and their names usually get repeated about 5 times each, while the crew part has all those names and way more but the names only show up once. What should i do?

What should i do?

Check out this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92230-Stock-Support-Bug-Reporting-Guide

I recommend you start a new thread, and upload a log file and probably your save. You can upload them to a place such as dropbox, google docs, mediafire, pastebin, or anything similar. You might have the same problem listed here, but it sounds like you're experiencing other problems as well. So uploading the log file can help us figure out what's wrong a little faster, and we can help you out better.

The crew roster should have more kerbals listed in it than the tracking section. Listing them five times isn't necessarily a bad thing either, if they managed to obtain several "firsts."

Also, welcome to the forums! :D

Cheers,

~Claw

You are amazing! The space center screen became unusable. I couldn't launch a flight, enter the Tracking center, VAB, or SPH. If I tried to exit the save through the ESC menu, nothing would happen. Couldn't even use Wack a Kerbal from the debug menu.

I started clearing out Mods. When that didn't work i began looking through sub assemblies and saved crafts for corrupted files.

Turns out that by forgetting to revert a flight where poor Corcal Kerman died, lead to this hard to find bug. :confused:

Hi,

I think, I've got the same issue. But I can't fix it:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115523-Can-t-click-several-buildings-UI-Glitches?p=1835734#post1835734

Could you take a look into my persistant.sfs to check, if everything is alright?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GyaquZSK3vNW9STnI1dFBQMVk/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Could you take a look into my persistant.sfs to check, if everything is alright?

I'll try to check that out later tonight. Have you tried searching for all your kerbals in the save?

Cheers,

-Claw

Strangely, it looks like Jeb, Bill, and Bob are assigned in the roster, but I don't see them in a ship anywhere. They are listed as being in a crew seat, but "Available" which is odd. Try changing their idx values to -1. (So "idx = -1") and see if that helps.

I don't see any broken roster references or any references to old part tests. Those are usually the problems that cause this bug.

Cheers,

~Claw

What would probably help in your case is to cause the problem, then upload the ouput_log.txt. It may be that you have a different bug, or maybe found another way to trigger it.

Cheers,

-Claw

Well, so this error below isn't a surprise:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Contracts.Contract.Save (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Which basically means one of your contracts is referencing something that doesn't exist. This is the kind of error that causes the bug in this thread (so that part is confirmed). When it's a contract, it's usually related to a Part Test contract for a mod part that was recently removed. So if that's the case, you can either...

1) Reinstall the mod so that you can delete any "bad" contracts.

or

2) Edit the save and erase the offending contracts (if you know which ones they are)

or

3) If you don't know which it is, delete all of your contracts

That should (hopefully) rescue your save. (Keep a backup!)

Cheers,

~Claw

Uhh guys i need help. these instructions are great but they are made for career mode, what should i do if i got this bug on sandbox mode

plz reply

These instructions work with either sandbox or career. The career piece is only if you did part test contracts. Otherwise the crew piece of it still applies.

Cheers,

~Claw

hello, reading through the thread i have found what i think is a backwards error casuing the same problem..

http://pastebin.com/6BuZqZg3

the freeze happened after i tested a jet engine and a decoupler, after this i EVA'd my kerbal (Loster) and went running around for a little extra science. i then recovered him and recovered the space ship from the launch pad. by the looks of the paste bin there is no mention of his flight...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.