Leaving Solar Orbit

Cletis

Has anyone ever managed to leave the Solar System using stock parts? I think I just did...

I was trying to fly to the Sun. I didn\'t quite hit it, but I got really close. As I passed by the Sun my AP (which was around Kerbin\'s orbit) started ballooning like crazy. It ended me on a trajectory to leave the Solar System. Now I get to ride it forever since you can only warp time 10,000x.

That\'d probably be considered a \'cheaty\' way to do it, as it\'s based on a physics glitch, but a ship that can actually go that close that Sun should easily be able to escape the system legitimately, just by thrusting in the opposite direction than you did.

And welcome!

Has anyone ever managed to leave the Solar System using stock parts? I think I just did...

Yup, it\'s not actually that difficult, mostly just leave kerbin\'s orbit in the direction it\'s orbitting and keep thrusting. Need a reasonably large ship, but nothing ridiculous. I think escape velocity is around 12-13km/s? about 9km/s of that comes from Kerbin\'s orbital velocity.

Ya, I guess it\'s not that hard. I was trying to get to the sun and ended up leaving Sun orbit. Am I right that it\'s harder to hit the Sun than it is to leave the Sun\'s orbit?

I\'ve only been playing since Friday. So much to learn...

Ya, I guess it\'s not that hard. I was trying to get to the sun and ended up leaving Sun orbit. Am I right that it\'s harder to hit the Sun than it is to leave the Sun\'s orbit?

I\'ve only been playing since Friday. So much to learn...

Yep, to \'hit\' the sun you\'d need to decelerate by about 9km/s, to escape you only need to accelerate by about 4

Oh it\'s definitely either a bug or explained by physics beyond my education. I like to think that flying that close to the sun leads to some kind of magic. :)

Physics beyond comprehension = magic

lol

• 5 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.