Just saw a meteor

Rascal Nag

I was walking my dog before he went to sleep, as I do most nights. I was just about to go in with him, until he went a bit crazy and ran to a bush to do his business, dragging me along with him. As I waited for him to finish, I craned my neck upwards. It\'s very clear tonight, and although I didn\'t really think much about what I was doing, I suppose my general attraction to the stars just made me look above. After a brief moment of simply staring at the twinkling points of light, I saw it. For a meteor, it seemed to be travelling quite slow. It didn\'t burn up suddenly, rather it flirted with the prospect, slowly oscillating between a glowing yellow-white and a dim white blue, as if the meteor was becoming a part of the dark sky itself. It was in no rush, for a meteor, and so lasted 3 or 4 seconds, traversing a large distance in the night sky. Just as the spectacle was nearing the tree branches high above me, it faded away.

I think that this was my best meteor sighting yet. Though it is still 5 days away and it is possible there is no relation, I hope that this is the beginning of a strong Lyrid meteor shower.

So, what are some meteors you guys have seen?

Edit: Unfortunately, after a brief check, the weather seems to be against me, with a forecast of showers on Saturday. Friday is also subject to some clouds. I can only hope things change for the better...

Every year, WIRO [Wyoming Infra-Red Obseravtory] opens up their facilities for people to visit.

Not only did I get to see a cool telescope, and look at the moon through a standard optical telescope, I saw a satellite pass overhead :)

i saw something like what you\'re describing

i think they\'re called fireballs, the big and slow ones.

It wasn\'t that big. The light only seemed to center right around the meteor and was not that bright, unlike a fireball. It only had a tiny tail as well. It just lasted for quite a while compared to other meteors I\'ve seen, and had a nice glow to it.

It wasn\'t that big. The light only seemed to center right around the meteor and was not that bright, unlike a fireball. It only had a tiny tail as well. It just lasted for quite a while compared to other meteors I\'ve seen, and had a nice glow to it.

Um...

im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg

(You had to know that this was coming.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.